Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Battery Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 02:40 PM
nikkirawks
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery Issue

So back in January I jump started my friend's car using a cigarette jumper (weird and stupid, PS) and while it worked, my battery died that very night. Coincidence? I think not.

So, I bought a new battery. Now 5 months later it's dead again with no warning at all. I always lock my car, and everything was turned off to the best of my knowledge. I know this might sound dumb, but do you think leaving the phone charger in the port would slowly drain my battery to exhaustion? Boyfriend and I jumped my car, it will drive (lights dimming) but it won't hold the charge.

Does this sound like an alternator issue, a battery issue or user error? Please help!

p.s. on long trips (over 4 hours) the "increased battery drainage" indicator light comes on and sometimes the car will die temporarily. I'm sure it's related.

Last edited by nikkirawks; 05-20-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:12 PM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Battery Tender

Well,

I run lots of extras such as Dash Cams and if I leave the car parked for a week or more I put it on the Battery Tender.

I hear that iPods will stay on and might drain the battery, or better drain the iPod. I have the full Nav System and been enjoying Thumb Drives as opposed to iPod. I get all the Album Artwork, just no playlists. Which I am fine with and it works great.

I have one of these that tells me if the battery is charging. Nice to have and you can get one off Amazon.

What year is the Mini? What kind of battery did you put in the Mini?

I also carry one of these so I can jump myself. Just in case or others!

Also look into a Battery Tender. They help too.

And hopefully others will comment who know more.....

Old 05-20-2014, 05:19 PM
nikkirawks
Neutral
Thanks for the quick response! The mini is a 2011 with 60k in it. She is my well loved daily driver. If the battery needs replaced it will be the 3rd one in 1.5 years.

Originally Posted by kg4fxg
Well,

I run lots of extras such as Dash Cams and if I leave the car parked for a week or more I put it on the Battery Tender.

I hear that iPods will stay on and might drain the battery, or better drain the iPod. I have the full Nav System and been enjoying Thumb Drives as opposed to iPod. I get all the Album Artwork, just no playlists. Which I am fine with and it works great.

I have one of these that tells me if the battery is charging. Nice to have and you can get one off Amazon.

What year is the Mini? What kind of battery did you put in the Mini?

I also carry one of these so I can jump myself. Just in case or others!

Also look into a Battery Tender. They help too.

And hopefully others will comment who know more.....

Old 05-20-2014, 05:22 PM
larmini
3rd Gear
You have a charging problem or a short somewhere ,,get it tested and u will know what it is.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:42 PM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out the car...

i would get it checked out. Sounds to me like it is not charging the battery. Some place like Auto Zone will test to see if it is charging for free. But I would recommend a Mini Place. But then you know. Be careful, I found out that a dead battery even if jumped will end you up on the road and the car will die. And in traffic!

Old 05-20-2014, 07:08 PM
nikkirawks
Neutral
The answer!

Well folks, it was as easy as a leaking battery. Knew it as soon as I smelled the sulphur. It was under warranty and replaced at no cost. Thanks for the help!

Old 05-23-2014, 01:07 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
If the battery leaked, you should clean out the battery box area! A baking-soda and water solution, and repeat until it stops foaming. The acid will promote rust in a very big way.

After cleaning with the solution, rinse thoroughly with water.