Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Power Steering failure-and MINI possibly fixing

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 02:07 PM
MiniMello
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No I never replaced my fan or pump I have been riding on the edge since september with no P/S thats why I asked if its covered. If so I will make a call.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:07 PM
fanta
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ti22fjc
Now, I know I posted that I will be taking my car to MINI, but how would I get the letter? Be the original owner of the vehicle? Meaning, what about the people who bought their vehicle used or private party?
I am not the original owner of my car and still received the letter. I filed a complaint when I replaced the PS pump/fan. Not sure if that is what prompted the letter or if MINI is just sending it to all owners in their database with certain VINs (based on year of car).

Old 05-24-2013, 02:10 PM
fanta
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMello
No I never replaced my fan or pump I have been riding on the edge since september with no P/S thats why I asked if its covered. If so I will make a call.
This is a reimbursement letter, not a recall letter. If you haven't had the items replaced, what are you expecting to get reimbursed for? If I were you, I'd call MINI at 866-275-6464 and ask them about new replacement situations or call your local dealer. It is a warranty extension though, so you are most likely good.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:13 PM
MiniMello
3rd Gear
cool thanks, if its an extension then I will make a call and see what is the what thanks again.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:17 PM
ti22fjc
4th Gear
Originally Posted by fanta
This is a reimbursement letter, not a recall letter. If you haven't had the items replaced, what are you expecting to get reimbursed for? If I were you, I'd call MINI at 866-275-6464 and ask them about new replacement situations or call your local dealer. It is a warranty extension though, so you are most likely good.
True, it is not a recall, per say, but a warranty extension.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:17 PM
fanta
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMello
cool thanks, if its an extension then I will make a call and see what is the what thanks again.
The important bits...

Old 05-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
If you PS has not failed but fails within the 13 years or 150k miles you will be covered. It is that simple.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:10 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
I got this-

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<mini.assistance@askmini.com>:
Mail server for "askmini.com" unreachable for too long

Old 05-26-2013, 09:58 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Braminator
If you PS has not failed but fails within the 13 years or 150k miles you will be covered. It is that simple.
Since virtually every system will have leaky hose o-rings will they replace the hoses as well? Or will that be an up charge?

I guess the basic question is “What will the final cost of this free fix be?”

///Rich

Old 05-26-2013, 11:16 PM
MiniMello
3rd Gear
The warranty states it will cover anything associated with the issue in my eyes that would be anything in the p/s .

Old 05-28-2013, 10:57 AM
drink8648
2nd Gear
  • Don't get your hopes up yet. I just called Mini USA to get the particulars on how to file for this reimbursement and was told that my 2005 does not qualify. Two weeks ago I spent almost $1400.00 to get my PS system replace because of failure. I don't think they're playing very fair on this one. I hope others don't get the shaft. Shame on you you Mini USA.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:42 AM
ti22fjc
4th Gear
Originally Posted by drink8648
  • Don't get your hopes up yet. I just called Mini USA to get the particulars on how to file for this reimbursement and was told that my 2005 does not qualify. Two weeks ago I spent almost $1400.00 to get my PS system replace because of failure. I don't think they're playing very fair on this one. I hope others don't get the shaft. Shame on you you Mini USA.

What year was your MINI built? Maybe that has something to do with it...
I already made an appointment with MINI for this Friday, where the service manager said it is covered. My build date is 3/05, so I'm wondering if the date of the pump is earlier and I'm still good for warranty.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:55 AM
drink8648
2nd Gear
What year was your MINI built? Maybe that has something to do with it...
I already made an appointment with MINI for this Friday, where the service manager said it is covered. My build date is 3/05, so I'm wondering if the date of the pump is earlier and I'm still good for warranty.
As stated, I own a 2005 MCS with 89,000 miles. My mechanic stated that I had the same issues he has seen and repaired on all 02 >05. When I called Mini, I gave them the the last seven characters of my VIN#, they told me sorry, your car is not part of this program. What the heck is going on here?

Old 05-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
As stated, I own a 2005 MCS with 89,000 miles. My mechanic stated that I had the same issues he has seen and repaired on all 02 >05. When I called Mini, I gave them the the last seven characters of my VIN#, they told me sorry, your car is not part of this program. What the heck is going on here?
Because it is based off of a production date of your MINI. Look inside the door jamb on the VIN sticker is your production date.
So I am guessing after you look at it, it will be later the 02/05 which is the cutoff date for this notice.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:51 PM
Deluded
2nd Gear
I want to update this thread:

I brought my car in to the dealership on Tuesday. They said that yes, my car was eligible, but I had to agree to a diagnosis ($160) -- if the problem was with the power steering, then I wouldn't have to pay anything and Mini will replace everything. If the problem isn't with the power steering, then I'd have to pay the $160 diagnosis fee.

Well, I picked up the car today. Turns out that my PS did have problems. Tech noted in his report that the power steering would cut out intermittently and replaced it.

The list of stuff replaced were:

O ring
PS pump (re manufactured)
PS fan
PS fluid bleeding and retest

I'm not sure if the hoses were replaced yet. I'd have to check the paper to double check, but I doubt it.

It also said that they wanted to replace the wiring harness, but the part was back ordered, so they'll call me when the part becomes available.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:41 AM
ti22fjc
4th Gear
Had an appointment for tomorrow, but MINI dealer called.
Have to reschedule because of the availability of parts for this fixed. He said parts were on back order. Didn't say anything specific, but we were looking at getting rescheduled sometime around the second week of June.
He said some dealerships order parts in bill, so this may not affect you at all, but I'm sure as we (owners) start coming in, it may.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:42 PM
Deluded
2nd Gear
Here's a pic of the invoice.
imgur.com/mgZpsfp

This might answer your question about the back ordered part.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:51 PM
ti22fjc
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Deluded
Here's a pic of the invoice.
imgur.com/mgZpsfp

This might answer your question about the back ordered part.
Awesome!
What is the build date of your mini (month)? I noticed it was an 05...
Mine is 3/05 on the inside door.
I know the warranty extension said up to 2/05 and wondering if that is the MINI build date or for the PSP.
I don't want to get the work started and then not have it covered, so I ask.
Also, haven't received a letter...

Old 05-30-2013, 05:13 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Awesome!
I know the warranty extension said up to 2/05 and wondering if that is the MINI build date or for the PSP.
I beleive the reason you have not received the letter is because of the cutoff date. Call the dealer and ask them.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:19 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Got my letter the other day..and my friend also got his.. called the dealer and they said they are getting overwhelmed with replacments...all parts seem to be on back order... But my power steering pump and fan work great no issues..lol..

Old 05-30-2013, 06:35 PM
drink8648
2nd Gear
I wish that some of the trusted vendors / affiliates would chime in on the difference in pumps after 2/05 and why some of us that have build dates after that date have had failure to their systems.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:10 PM
MiniMello
3rd Gear
dropped mine off at Mini of Warwick Inskip. They called today saying the pump was indeed fried and that the parts on on order from Germany because of the sudden demand. He said about a week or so fully covered and its a kit they are using that comes with a pump (new),fan (new), and wiring harness all new all covered one shot deal. If you are in the area go to Inskip Mini in Warwick they got you covered. I asked if this was on warranty he said yes he was sorry for the wait and would call when she was all set, it sort of worked out im in Lakeland Florida right now buttoning up my dad who recently passed aways house. So not a great situation but not a hurry because of it. What can you do.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:12 PM
tbearmini
3rd Gear
I wish that some of the trusted vendors / affiliates would chime in on the difference in pumps after 2/05 and why some of us that have build dates after that date have had failure to their systems.
Agree.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:15 PM
Deluded
2nd Gear
Awesome!
Mine is 11/04. I didn't receive a letter either. I just showed up at the dealership (it's on my way to work) and asked if my car was eligible.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:35 AM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Awesome!
I believe the dealer should be using VIN to determine whether a car is covered.

Quick Reply: Power Steering failure-and MINI possibly fixing