Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

2nd Clutch replacement - New Flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 08:01 PM
tjsadler
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd Clutch replacement - New Flywheel?

I have an 05 MCS Convertible. About three years ago I replaced the stock clutch with the Valeo SMF clutch kit. Overall I have been happy with it but now the clutch is out and needs to be replaced again. My niece has been driving it and rode the clutch way to much . Anyway, my question is this: Obviously the first time I replaced the flywheel with the single mass unit. Is the flywheel likely to need replacement again or can it be machined?

Old 04-19-2013, 06:32 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm new to MINI, but good sense from a few decades working on my own cars says: that valeo flywheel being single mass is like any other. So replace the clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing. Call your local machine shop to have the flywheel resurfaced.

You could telephone the guys at waymotorworks and ask. They sell the parts you're talking about, and I've heard they're nice and easy to work with.

I replied mostly because I wanted to know how you liked the valeo single mass flywheel. Did you drive the car with the dual mass flywheel before? Did you notice a difference driving it after the change? If your niece hadn't been driving your car, do you think the valeo clutch would have lasted longer?

I'm not really sure what the benefit of the dual mass flywheel is, all I know is mine is noisy as heck when ideling in neutral, can't see getting another one at $750, especially since it can not be resurfaced.

Motor on

Alex

Old 04-21-2013, 09:54 AM
tjsadler
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I drove it before and after. I didn't notice a huge difference to be honest. I think that it was pretty close to the stock feel. I think it would have lasted a much longer time without her driving it poorly. I really never had any problems with the stock flywheel. The first clutch went out right after she started driving it so I replaced it with this unit and was fine with it. Thanks for the feedback, it will save her a couple hundred bucks in parts if I don't have to get another flywheel.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:39 AM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I forgot to mention, there's a guide tube the throw out bearing rides along. I read about many that say theirs had not worn, did not need to be replaced.... My thoughts are that, it's cheap, so may as well...

Thanks for thoughts and impressions on Valeo. Hopefully I'll have a long time to consider that one. I'm fortunate that clutches seem to last me forever, though I tend to go through brakes and tires, lol