Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

2F22 Engine Temperature Signal not plausible - changed sensor to no effect!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 01:20 PM
rogan200
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2F22 Engine Temperature Signal not plausible - changed sensor to no effect!

Hi all,

Been noticing my radiator fan being on basically all the time and also when getting in the car the auto climate control witll strat blowing even when the car is cold as though it thinks the car is always hot. Done a code read and found 2F22 - Engine Temperature Signal not plausible. I've done some forum searching and others with the same issues seem to solve this by changing the temperature sensor out.

One thing i noticed is that when i go into the hidden OBD menu there is no engine temperature showing - (see picture below. Im assuming this isnt normal??). This led me to believe it was indeed the sensor so i've just swapped it out. This has had no effect though and the car still doesn't seem to know what the water temperature is. Does anyone have any suggestions?

There wouldnt be a fuse for the sensor would there? Just hope its not something like damaged wiring somewhere!

Thanks, Rogan

Old 03-17-2013, 10:23 PM
boOst spIKe
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What year and make is your Cooper? Little more info might be helpful. Usually Temp Sensor plausibility issues are related to the thermostat coolant temperature sensor failing or has failed sending a erroneous signal to the dme that it thinks the vehicle is overheating which is causing your low speed fans (and sometimes high speed) to run constantly, sometimes even long after you shut the vehicle off. Now, some will replace the sensor only, though i have found that only works sometimes. you will more then likely have to replace your thermostat, clear the fault and if possible reset adaptations the dme has learned (not absolutely necessary, but if possible will make for better operation @ first fire up).

Old 03-17-2013, 10:45 PM
Bakerbrdz
Banned
I think there's a recall for this

Old 03-18-2013, 01:13 AM
boOst spIKe
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bakerbrdz
I think there's a recall for this
there is, pending on what year his vehicle is, hence why I asked him for more info.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:43 AM
rogan200
Neutral
Originally Posted by boOst spIKe
there is, pending on what year his vehicle is, hence why I asked him for more info.
Hi there - managed to solve the issue. It is an August 2008 build R56 JCW with 70.000miles on it. I changed the sensor which didn't help at all and then but managed to speak to a mini tech on Saturday who thought it would either be a damaged wire between the sensor and the ecu or the thermostat broken. The wiring looked ok so I decided to try swapping the thermostat and hey presto all is working fine again.

Old 08-14-2021, 07:57 PM
A. Diz
Neutral
Originally Posted by rogan200
Hi there - managed to solve the issue. It is an August 2008 build R56 JCW with 70.000miles on it. I changed the sensor which didn't help at all and then but managed to speak to a mini tech on Saturday who thought it would either be a damaged wire between the sensor and the ecu or the thermostat broken. The wiring looked ok so I decided to try swapping the thermostat and hey presto all is working fine again.
I know this is a bit old, but did you end up swapping the thermostat housing?