Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Got my first dent...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 01:14 PM
Joewp
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my first dent...

So, I haven't had the car too long, but I do live in a city. I noticed the other day that above my left rear tire trim were two dents. Not huge, not small, maybe smaller than a golf ball. I'm going to post a picture, but am wondering if this is something I can remove myself, with a tool, or if I should take it to a shop? And what the general cost of something like this would be?

Thanks!
Joe

And here is the link, since I seem to have a hard time using photo's from flickr

http://flic.kr/p/e3gDfb

Old 03-14-2013, 01:24 PM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Find the Paintless Dent Repair (PDR) shop in your area and ask them.
The PDR guy I use would take care of those for about $100, in less than an hour. PDR is great because you don't have to damage the OEM paint.

The guy I use did both my MINI and my Miata. Both are now as good as new.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:11 PM
Joewp
2nd Gear
Thanks for the info, I called one place and they wanted $375 - $450! So I'm going to search around a bit. I came out to my car today and I had new dent's under my license plate on my hatch back, ohhhhh city life. I'm going to pull that panel off tomorrow and see if I can do anything to get that out.

I'm also moving to New Orleans in the next few months, I may wait until I'm down that way to get this stuff taken care of, D.C. is very, very over priced.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:39 PM
minibx
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Joewp
Thanks for the info, I called one place and they wanted $375 - $450! So I'm going to search around a bit. I came out to my car today and I had new dent's under my license plate on my hatch back, ohhhhh city life. I'm going to pull that panel off tomorrow and see if I can do anything to get that out.

I'm also moving to New Orleans in the next few months, I may wait until I'm down that way to get this stuff taken care of, D.C. is very, very over priced.
NOOOOOOOOOOO don't do it yourself please search for PDR service in your area, as long as your paint is intact they will fix it for you for about 100.00 if you do it yourself you could make it worse and it will never look right

they use special tools for the job please don't mess it up

Old 03-15-2013, 08:47 PM
Joewp
2nd Gear
Got it and got it. I will not touch it! I found another place in Manassas which seems much cheaper than what I was quoted.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:46 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Isn't D.C. the place where they print money?

;-)

Old 03-17-2013, 03:47 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
IME that $100 is gonna be pretty low for a major metro area PDR job. I paid $150 for one bump in Norfolk 10 years ago; and I lived in Mannassas for a time . . .

HOWEVER PDR IS the way to go ....

while this looks easy, and is not rocket science, there is a certain skill set (training) to do it right. I helped out with some VoTec auto body classes for a while and saw this done right and by beginners . . . it is nice to learn on doors that came from the salvage yard and NOT your own car.