Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Strange Idle, No Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 07:40 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since V36 I have had no stumbling or lurching.......wonderful. About a month ago a rumbling sound appeared and has continued. Sometimes it stalls when cold. I thought it might be related to the pulley that was installed in Jan., but the service manager drove it and said it was normal. I cleaned the air filter a week ago and it
didn't make a difference.

I have an appointment at Helix to get new brake pads this Thursday and will ask Eric listen to it and try to size things up.......will report back.

Old 05-02-2004, 07:49 PM
4GAZM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yep got that weired idle too sometimes and thats with the v36 funny it just started with the wheather change hmmmmm!!!!

Old 05-03-2004, 12:49 AM
minie
3rd Gear
i live in Vancouver Canada, the weather here is getting warmer, yesterday was about 18-20C, the strange idle is still coming and going, but it does seem to be more often nowaday,

for now it seem like not a temp issue,

here is what i am runing, been runing V36, Alta Pully and CAI with K&N filter,

I have boost and vac gauge, oil temp gauge,

duing the strange idle, the boost is normal, oil temp is normal, rev is normal,

yesterday, was with a friend talking, we were wondering would it be the engine mount having problem, so fire up the engine to check it out, 1st time no luck(cold start problem) 2nd time it started, engine seem to be shaking a little bit, once a while the whole engine move forward and backward, is like the engine is noding his head to me. looking at the 3(top) engine mount all seem to be normal(couldn't check the bottom mount). but the engine to seem to shake up a bit more on the left hand side,

talked to a old mech. he looked at it, by looking and hearing it, he think is a software problem, costing the EFI operate in this manner.

I will try to get to mini service to ask them if they can figure it out.

Will keep everyone updated.

Old 05-03-2004, 01:04 AM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
I also noticed that the car doesn't idle as smoothly after v37 flash. On the other hand, it could also be the warmer temerature. It's not very noticeable though!

Old 05-04-2004, 01:43 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
It's frustrating to have this symptom pop up after a care-free Winter and the possiblity that it's related to V36 is mind-boggling. I have already received a cash settlement for the stumble from a Lemon Law suit. If this is computer related I'll give MiniUSA three shots at fixing it and if they can't do it.......I'll file another one immediately. Again, I'll see what kind of evaluation I get at Helix on Thursday.

There's the STUMBLE, the YO-YO and now maybe........the RUMBLE. Oy vay!

Old 05-04-2004, 02:55 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
The Rumble.... hee hee

Ahem... not that it's a laughing matter, it's just that MINI owners are such a creative bunch when it comes to naming the maladies of their cars...

Old 05-05-2004, 04:25 PM
zgokart
5th Gear
Toast, I remember somewhere that you had written you had a 10k service and you don't think your air filter has been changed since. I'd look into the air filter situation first. Hope you got your torx drivers. They're available anywhere... check Sears, Kragen/Pep Boys, etc.

And maybe after you get a new air filter installed, the ECU might need some time to get accustomed to this and your driving style before you see some measurable improvement. Good luck.

Old 05-06-2004, 04:21 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
Went to Helix to have EBC Green Stuff brake pads put on......looking forward to alot
less brake dust. Eric took the car for a ride around the block and thought the sound
from the exhaust was a little louder than most Minis he's worked on.......but also
thinks that there isn't anything really wrong. He suggested that I have the baffling, which controls the flow of air/sound waves in the exhaust, checked out by the dealer.

Of course, the vibration that I have been hearing from the front end was non-existent today. Looks like this is a work in progress, but I feel better about the
situation.

Old 05-06-2004, 04:37 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Torx.... check.

K&N drop in filter.... no check. Should have come yesterday, but appears to be lost in the land of UPS. :evil:

Old 05-06-2004, 08:28 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
Don't count on the filter being the culprit. I have a Pilo cold air intake.......cleaned
it last week and there was no difference.......although things sounded better today,
so......who knows.

Old 05-30-2004, 09:07 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Wa-hooooooooo!!!! FIXED!!!!

I wish that there was a contest for dirtiest air filter, because I'm fairly certain I'd win. The idle is soooooooooo much smoother--no shaking and I haven't yet noticed any fluctuations. I can accelerate once again! Yay!

Made me realize just how bad it had gotten.