Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Uhoh another CVT problem thread.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 03:22 AM
ahebron
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uhoh another CVT problem thread.

SWMBO bought a lovely dark metallic green 2003 Mini One CVT with 200000kms a couple of weeks ago. This was a sight unseen private purchase. Anyway apart from a leaky steering rack which was discovered yesterday it has a CVT problem.
The CVT was rebuilt 6 months ago. The problem is the car very often stalls when it is put into drive, reverse is ok. It will also stall when you come to a rapid stop but if you gradually stop it is fine apart from a stutter in engine revs.
I have changed the spark plugs, fuel filter, engine oil, oil filter and air filter. BMW Mini updated the CVT computer and reinitialised it.
It seems to be getting worse as the weather is getting colder.
I have read about the wiring harness being an issue but have no idea what harness or where. Also the battery can be an issue but I have load tested the battery and it reads ok.
This is a great car that we both like but the damn CVT is taking the fun out of owning it. On the open road it is fantastic and a marvellous long distance car.

Anyone got any more ideas, please.

Adrian

Old 05-16-2012, 06:49 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
I wouldn't be so quick to condemn the transmission. Look very carefully for vacuum leaks (often audible), and check the charcoal canister purge valve system (if NZ cars come so equipped), and PCV systems. I'm not a mechanic, by any means, but I think it's possible for a bad PCV valve to cause this type of issue.

As far as your rack leak, is it the seals on the rack itself, or just the hoses going to the reservoir that are leaking? Those hoses are no big deal to replace. Just be certain that you, or your shop use the correct fluid.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:50 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Oh, the pipe that goes from the intake manifold to the vacuum booster for the power brake system should be inspected. There is probably a one-way valve on the booster itself (can't recall off the top of my head) that should be inspected.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:43 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm guessing it has nothing to do with the CVT. That said, I wouldn't touch a Mini CVT with a 10 foot pole. Good luck.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:24 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
After the CVT was "rebuilt"......and fluid replaced. Was it recalibrated at your local MINI dealer ? These are not your average transmission. It is more electronic and computer controlled than the others and has to be programmed at a BMW terminal.

Even after the mere flushing of a MINI CVT's fluids it will not run much if at all until it is recalibrated.