Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Justa Cooper Engine noise Question & wind noise fixed

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 03:02 PM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Justa Cooper Engine noise Question & wind noise fixed

Does anyone know if the vacuum pump on the regular Cooper engine sounds anything like a stuck valve lifter? Has anyone ever had a stuck valve lifter on a Justa Cooper engine? I started hearing a tapping sound, intermittent in nature, coming from the port side of the engine (right side as you look down on it). A mechanical type friend thought it was a stuck valve lifter. It's a bit diesel-like for a few moments, and yet this tapping sound can prevail long after the motor is warm.

I am right at the end of my 4 year warranty, so I drove 300 miles to the dealer to check on things that might be covered by warranty. When I got there, no such sound could be heard, and they suggested it could be something like the vacuum pump. [Whatever that is] I hope it is. Anyone have a hunch on this? Could it be anything short of a trapped woodpecker?

My engine has enjoyed meticulous oil changes every 5 to 7 k, an easy life, moderate revving and no abuse. Why would a valve lifter stick?

BTW, the dealer got my wind-noise problem fixed! I had a wind leak on my driver's door and it turned out that the window just wasn't fully closing by a mm or two. Four years of wind noise- fixed.

Mine is a Clubman, but I'm on the R56 forum since it's all the same under the hood. My Mini has 44k miles and four good years of (mostly) trouble free miles. I'm not planning on getting any extended warranty, but this noise is a concern, until I can convince myself it's something normal.