Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Please Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 11:19 AM
mankypurple
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help!!!!

problem car: 05 R53, 54,000 miles
mods: %15 alta pulley, alta exhaust, jcw intake

Ok, my problem started early this winter. When the roads finally cleared of ice and snow, i did a couple runs (i missed the sc whine) and got it up to speed. When i got heavy on the throttle, right around 6000rpm my dsc light came on and flipping the switch didnt get it to go away. No traction control at all, unless i turned the car off. Since then, its gotten colder, didnt run my car hard at all, it was fine. A few months ago, it was -50 and the car didnt start, got a little flooded. So i cleared the fuel out by pulling the plugs and the injector fuse and cranking it, got new plugs, started right up. Perfectly fine... except, now after about 10 seconds under idle, the dsc light comes on, plus my ebrake light wont go out, even if the brake is off.

Now, since the car runs fine (besides zero traction control), I keep driving it. I noticed that with the dsc light on, if i pull the ebrake and the rear slides around, i hear a light ticking noise. Dsc trying to kick in? Also, during the 10 seconds or so, before the light goes on, I can drive it and the traction control barely works. I can actually slide and while the brakes do apply, its not like it should be. Like its lazy and not even trying. Hard braking does get the abs to work, so its functional. What can be doing this????

Old 03-08-2012, 12:11 PM
mankypurple
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forgot to mention, I also had a few codes come up. Here they are as follows.

P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Circuit Malfunction
P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold - i gutted the cat, not concerned really.
P0172 Fuel System Too Rich
P0070 Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Circuit
P0125 Insufficient Coolant Temperature for Closed Loop Fuel Control

plus one other that i forget which it was, but basically my fuel cap was not closing properly. Its fixed. LAstly, after the car started again after being flooded, I ran seafoam through it, might have triggered something as well.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:38 PM
bahawton
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Seems pretty obvious by the first code you pulled:

P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Circuit Malfunction

Wheel speed sensors control traction control & ABS.

Last edited by bahawton; 03-08-2012 at 12:39 PM. Reason: forgot word