Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Limp Mode Cold Weather

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Flyingfrenchman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limp Mode Cold Weather

I have a 2004 Mini Cooper S and on two separate occasions my car has gone into limp mode. The 1st time the temperature was -15F. I had let my car warm up, driven about 20 miles to work when all of a sudden when coming to a traffic light my car went into limp mode and the Check Engine light and EML light came on. I was able get it out of limp mode by restarting my car. After work I took my car to the local independent shop that specializes in BMW and MINI only. They advised that they diagnosed the car as having a bad throttle body.

Exactly a year ago the local BMW dealership had replaced this part, so I tried to take it over there and get it replaced under their repair warranty. Unfortunately the other shop I had taken it to had cleared the codes and the dealer claimed they could not find an issue.

Well, today it was about 10 degrees this morning and my car had the same issue. As luck would have it I was passing the dealer so I took my car in and had them inspect it. They advised that the car is throwing a code for a bad throttle body however that was not the issue and that there seems to be bad connection between the throttle body and the computer. I'm not sure whether to believe this or not.

Has anyone experienced this issue before?

Old 02-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Flyingfrenchman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I forgot to mention that the fault codes are for the CAN bus and the Throttle Body Actuator. Does anyone have experience with this? Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated.