Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

No compression in 3 cylenders. 2005 mini cooper s

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 01:31 PM
rbennett
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No compression in 3 cylenders. 2005 mini cooper s

Hello,
I have a 2005 mini cooper s and it was sputtering when I slowed down during traffic. It even stalled once so I decided to do a tune up. I replaced my SPARK PLUGS to Bosh Iridium Fusion, AIR FILTER, and IGNITION COIL to MSD. ( I noticed that the Bosh plugs had more threads and went in deeper then the old plugs. I also had to enlarge the mounting holes on the MSD Ignition coil so the bolts would fit. I'm not sure if any of this matters, just FYI).
After the up i did a test drive and the car stalled while going around 50 mph. When I pressed on the gas peddle the car sounded like it was not getting enough fuel. It just kept slowing down and finally stopped. I could not get it started again. It turned over but would not start.
I had the car towed to the mechanics. They tested the car and said it only had compression in one cylinder. the other three were dead.
Any idea what could be the problem? Does it have anything to do with the coil or plugs?

Thank you,
probennett@gmail.com

Old 11-08-2011, 01:36 PM
rbennett
1st Gear
To address the old problem, what would cause the car to spudder when you press the gas peddle after the car worms up? Would this have anything to do with the new problem?

Old 11-08-2011, 02:37 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Just off the top of my head I would say the timing chain went.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:31 PM
rbennett
1st Gear
No the timing chain is good. Anything else to check?

Thank you

Old 11-08-2011, 03:31 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Get them to do a cylinder leak down test.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:03 PM
rbennett
1st Gear
is that the same as a cylinder compression test? They did a compression test and that's how they found out that 3 of the 4 cylinders were without pressure.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:19 PM
rbennett
1st Gear
the mechanic thinks the new MSD coil produced too much electricity and it blew the valves on all but cylinder 2. He said all of my new spark plugs were fried when he pulled them out and they only had 5-6 minutes of run on them.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Ar50
1st Gear
I don't know if this will help:

Leak down test focuses on the valve sealing, rings, and head gasket with constant pressure in the cylinder with the valves closed. The compression test is similar but constant pressure isn't applied to the gauge, the gauge shows the short burst/duration of peak pressure the cylinder had.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:23 PM
rbennett
1st Gear
He is going to pull the head now. He is estimating 12 hours and $2,000 just off the top of his head. He thinks its going to need at least a valve job maybe a rebuild if the cylinders walls are bad. 2k and a week without a car is bad news. Anyone know a good and inexpensive mechanic in San Jose CA?

Old 11-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Ar50
1st Gear
You might be thinking about another engine... check and see what a used one may cost. Last I seen labor for head job was close to engine swap.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Hound_va
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rbennett
the mechanic thinks the new MSD coil produced too much electricity and it blew the valves on all but cylinder 2. He said all of my new spark plugs were fried when he pulled them out and they only had 5-6 minutes of run on them.
You might want to find another mechanic if that is what you were told. What were the specific part numbers for the plugs as your description of longer thread length screams of either incorrect plugs before or after your tune up?

Old 11-08-2011, 06:06 PM
rbennett
1st Gear
MSD ignition coil 8239 sport compact MSD8239.
Bosch 4514 HGR8MQIO 4 platinum R Fusion Spark Plug.

I didn't check the gap on the plugs because they have 4 prongs not 1. You know, I don't remember checking if the medal connection caps on the back of the plugs were tight either. I just had back surgery and was in alot of pain. I shouldn't have been doing anything but I was going steer crazy in the house.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:10 PM
rbennett
1st Gear
AR50, do you know of a good place to get a new engine and what engine to get. Can I put a new 2011-2012 turbo engine in a 2005 body?

Old 11-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Hound_va
3rd Gear
Where did you find that those specific plugs are supposed to fit a MCS? It's not the gap that is the issue, it's the fact that a Bosch plug for an MCS has a plug reach of .750 and the ones that you listed have a plug reach of .984. The MCS uses a gasket seat, not a tapered seat, which the plug you have listed uses. Wherever that number came from it is not correct for an MCS. Using a torque wrench is pretty important in the installation of plugs into an aluminum head, unless stripped heads, helicoils and timeserts are high on ones list to spend money on. If your mechanic didn't catch any of that and told you the too much voltage line, then get your car away from them ASAP.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:15 PM
rbennett
1st Gear
I'm not understanding. Are you saying that because the spark plug went in an extra .234 in the engine it would blow up the engine?

I ordered the spark plugs from Amazon.com. They were what was listed for mini cooper 2005.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:48 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
I could see a spark issue causing piston damage, if you need a motor check with Way on his JCW motors.
As far as swap w/turbo motor, I think it's a major job.

And for plug reach, I don't know what the actual clearance's are inside the combustion chamber but yes something could have touched.

Last edited by BlwnAway; 11-08-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:25 AM
Ar50
1st Gear
AR50, do you know of a good place to get a new engine and what engine to get. Can I put a new 2011-2012 turbo engine in a 2005 body?
The N14 and N18 turbo engines are quite bit larger dimensionally than the w11. Hypothetically, If you could shoe horn one in, you would run into engine management and wiring issue. It would require extensive time and money. Cheaper to buy direct replacement.

I unfortunately do not know of any sources. I would seek a reputable late model salvage yard. The dealer is pricey, at $5k or more, plus core, just for re manufactured long block (engine only, no accessories).

Last edited by Ar50; 11-09-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
He said too much electricity burned your valves?? That makes no sense.
More likely that the longer plugs contacted the pistons, but that would be confirmed with an inspection of the plugs. What does 'fried' mean? If some of the electrodes were missing, that could account for valve damage.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:52 PM
bd8134
1st Gear
If you still have your old plugs take those and go to the repair shop. Depending on clearance, maybe the new plugs punctured a hole in the piston. You might be able to see some damage with a flashlight in the spark plug hole.
The valves may have contacted the spark plug, maybe bent valves.
Check the spark plugs and where they are damaged. The end - maybe piston contact, side damage - valve contact. Take into account the angled plugs. Bits missing from the plugs? Are these bits still inside the engine?
Report back after your visit, take pictures.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:19 PM
jpavlo
2nd Gear
Get your car out of that garage.!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Hound_va
3rd Gear
I'm not understanding. Are you saying that because the spark plug went in an extra .234 in the engine it would blow up the engine?

I ordered the spark plugs from Amazon.com. They were what was listed for mini cooper 2005.
From what you have stated so far, nothing has blown up. It does sound as you have damage to pistons, valves, or both.

Amazon isn't currently showing that plug for a 2005 Mini Cooper and neither is anywhere else so I'm not sure what to say there.

An extra .234" protruding into the combustion chamber is nearly 1/4". That is a LOT. The tapered seat on the plugs you installed means that there is no way the plugs were properly torqued to spec on installation because the MCS head does not have a tapered seat, and with use would have been popped out of the head, most likely taking the threads in the head with them. The proper plugs for a MCS utilize a gasket seat. If you have had the car since new, and this was the first plug change, the longer threads should have sent up a red flag for being dimensionally different compared to what the factory installed.

If the valves have been damaged by striking a plug that protrudes too far into the combustion chamber it will likely result in a cylinder that has no compression, depending on the severity of the damage to the valves. You could have gotten lucky with a tight or loose plug on the 1 cylinder which still shows compression. Remember the valves seal the cylinder closed on the compression cycle.

Without seeing the plugs, I would suspect valve damage before piston damage but either or both are quite possible due to an extra 1/4" of metal protruding into the cylinder.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:17 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Ouch...
Installing the wrong spark plugs....
boom.
$$$ mistake...
Just adding this cause the op's newer thread is trying to blame it on the coil pack..and all the info about the wrong reach spark plugs are right here...
Diy gone wrong...
Best option is likely a used motor $$ from a wreck...
A r56 motor swap as he has asked about is basicly impossible without many thousands of $$$ and a similar number of manhours...

Old 11-10-2011, 06:44 PM
rbennett
1st Gear
Thank so much to everyone who has replied to this post.
I am getting a valve job done, New valves. new plugs and wires, a new serpentine belt, new upper and lower Air Conditioner lines, and AC system recharged. They are still looking at the pistons to see if they are damaged.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:24 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
...They are still looking at the pistons to see if they are damaged.
Shouldn't be that hard, a flashlight or boroscope and you can look at the pistons. Same mechanic as the guy with the coil pack diagnosis?

Old 11-11-2011, 05:55 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now I remember what was missing here.

Quick Reply: No compression in 3 cylenders. 2005 mini cooper s