Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

How to remove a frozen, locked door actuator: A solution!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 07:14 PM
ZigmundRat
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to remove a frozen, locked door actuator: A solution!

My 2003 Mini Cooper passenger door lock actuator failed with the door locked. Unable to open the door from the inside or outside and with the actuator frozen there was no way to open the door so it could be removed. After searching high and low on the internet I found plenty of references to broken actuators, or handle and cable issues, even a couple that mentioned similar issues as mine (locked and broken) but no resolution to the problem.

After hours of fooling around inside the door trying to figure out the answer, it turns out the solution is pretty simple. Refer to the photos for clarification. The steps required are:

1) Disconnect the battery. If you don’t, and you turn the key on with the seat removed it will fault the SRS (airbag) system and you will have to get it reset.
2) Remove the passenger seat so you can remove the interior door panel. You can take it out through the drivers door side, just be careful with the seat slides so they don't gouge or tear anything.
3) Remove the interior door panel. You will not be able to pull it off properly due to interference from the dashboard. Pop out as many clips as possible (I only had two I couldn’t release). You will need to break the last couple. Just give the panel a good yank in the direction of the E-Brake (30-45 degrees to the door) and it will come off.
4) Unplug the connector from the actuator.
5) Using a screwdriver, pry up and pop off the cover of the actuator.

6) Unhook the cables from the actuator. You should now have nothing attached to it except the door.
7) Using a long shaft screwdriver (mine was 10” overall with a 3/8” wide tip) and working with two hands (no there’s not much space), position the tip of the screwdriver against the tang of the lock mechanism. See pictures below.

8) Push the screwdriver toward the door jamb (the rear of the car) bending the tang so that it clears the lock bell-crank. The lock mechanism should drop to the unlocked position.

9) Manually pull down the outside handle release lever to open the door.

Note that none of this is irreversible. You can bend the metal lock tang back to it’s original position, and you can pop the plastic cover back on the actuator. But of course, if it were any good, you wouldn’t be going through all this would you?

Hopefully this will save someone else the hours it took me to figure this out. Good luck!

-Ziggy-

The following users liked this post:
huskey (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 05:10 PM
huskey
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZigmundRat
My 2003 Mini Cooper passenger door lock actuator failed with the door locked. Unable to open the door from the inside or outside and with the actuator frozen there was no way to open the door so it could be removed. After searching high and low on the internet I found plenty of references to broken actuators, or handle and cable issues, even a couple that mentioned similar issues as mine (locked and broken) but no resolution to the problem.

After hours of fooling around inside the door trying to figure out the answer, it turns out the solution is pretty simple. Refer to the photos for clarification. The steps required are:

1) Disconnect the battery. If you don’t, and you turn the key on with the seat removed it will fault the SRS (airbag) system and you will have to get it reset.
2) Remove the passenger seat so you can remove the interior door panel. You can take it out through the drivers door side, just be careful with the seat slides so they don't gouge or tear anything.
3) Remove the interior door panel. You will not be able to pull it off properly due to interference from the dashboard. Pop out as many clips as possible (I only had two I couldn’t release). You will need to break the last couple. Just give the panel a good yank in the direction of the E-Brake (30-45 degrees to the door) and it will come off.
4) Unplug the connector from the actuator.
5) Using a screwdriver, pry up and pop off the cover of the actuator.

6) Unhook the cables from the actuator. You should now have nothing attached to it except the door.
7) Using a long shaft screwdriver (mine was 10” overall with a 3/8” wide tip) and working with two hands (no there’s not much space), position the tip of the screwdriver against the tang of the lock mechanism. See pictures below.

8) Push the screwdriver toward the door jamb (the rear of the car) bending the tang so that it clears the lock bell-crank. The lock mechanism should drop to the unlocked position.

9) Manually pull down the outside handle release lever to open the door.

Note that none of this is irreversible. You can bend the metal lock tang back to it’s original position, and you can pop the plastic cover back on the actuator. But of course, if it were any good, you wouldn’t be going through all this would you?

Hopefully this will save someone else the hours it took me to figure this out. Good luck!

-Ziggy-

WOWWWWW. I have been looking for a solution to this problem for months. I just bought my daughter a mini and the passenger door was stuck and NO ONE could fix it!!! This worked perfectly. Thank you for posting this info!!!