Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

ding question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 03:44 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
I've been vigilant over the last year and 3 months keeping my MINI fairly ding free. Only one (which was quickly removed by the paintless dent guy) until today, but after a good washing this morning I've noticed that there is another one. This one is on the piece on the driver's side where the side vent is located, just in front of the door. It looks like it will be tough for the dent guy to get to, but there should be a fairly easy way to remove the exterior piece itself and just finesse the dent the other direction. There is absolutely no paint damage.

I'm wondering if anyone has removed this piece and if they have, how difficult was the process? Any directions will be greatly appreciated. Once again, it is the body piece where the Cooper S chrome side vent is located.

Thanks,

Karl

Old 02-08-2004, 06:10 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry to hear about your ding. I hate those too.

I don't have your info how to remove that piece, but just a recommendation
to take it to your dent removal guy first and see what he says. The last time
I tried finess-ing a dent out, the dent guy told me not to touch it as it
distorts the dent and makes it even harder for him to fix. :smile:

Since then, i get a ding, i just take it in.

Old 02-08-2004, 07:13 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Thanks - I'm just going to bring it into my dealer. Last time I tried to fix anything on it myself, I just made things worse and ended up having to bring it to the dealer anyway. I'm so obsessed with my car that I focus on the ding every time I walk up to it and it's Sunday, so I can't bring it in until tomorrow.

Old 02-08-2004, 08:01 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I, too, have one of those dings in a difficult-for-the-ding-man-to-reach location. I had him fix three other dents, and asked about the fourth, which was very small. He said that he could definitely do it, but that it would be just a little more difficult and a little more expensive. I was poor and pressed for time--and the dent was very little; I've learned to avoid staring right at it--so I told him to forget about it... for now.

So, the moral of the story is that you should definitely take it to your paintless repair guy, as he'll likely be able to fix it.

Good luck :smile: