Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Timing chain issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 07:13 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mindspin311
This video was taken this evening when I left work. Its pretty clear. But, when I rev the engine to about 2k, the sound goes away.

When I got home (25min later), the sound was basically gone. I could hear the chain, but it seems more "normal" and just the operation of the engine.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v585bmqzy0
That sounds terrible. Mine didn't sound that bad prior to getting it fixed.
To me it sounds like the tensioner issue.
Has it ever been replaced?
I forgot, you did say the previous owner had it done. I wonder if they replaced everything or just
the tensioner bolt. Do you have their paperwork or has the dealer pulled it up. They can look it up
and see exactly what was done I think.

Last edited by drsimmons; 02-02-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea I know. But then it goes away... ugh I dont know.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Mine was very random and intermittent too but they went ahead and measured the timing chain and it was out of tolerance so they did the whole enchilada.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:58 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mindspin311
Yea I know. But then it goes away... ugh I dont know.
You don't appear to be too far from WayMotorWorks in Atlanta. Why don't you call Way and take it to him to determine what the issue is. I'm sure he'd be able to isolate it for you.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Tennman
2nd Gear
+1 '07 MCS. Got the yellow engine of death pop up on me last Thursday. Called and got an appt for Monday but dropped it off Friday. Good thing too. Slack timing chain was found. Had skipped two teeth, according to the SA. Also faulted the Inlet Venos Solenoid. Also have bad carbon buildup. The dealership is wrestling with Goldcare (the extended warranty people) about whether they're going to pay for the 13.9 hours it took to drill down with the diagnostics. Don't know what I'm going to have to come up with on this, other than the carbon cleanout and the deductible. Hoping to keep the cost under 2K. Seriously thinking about getting a good bill of health and trading it in on something else.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:25 AM
MilesL
Neutral
Took my 2010 MCS (09/09 production date) to the dealer yesterday for the recall and to complain about the timing chain rattle and the occasional pop through the intake manifold when cold - I'm in Florida so not that cold. I've got 14K miles on it. I'll see what the dealer says - I'm still under warranty.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:30 PM
cocodogcooper
Neutral
+1 09 MCS.

I have had 2 timing chain issues. The first caused a problem with a severe leak of oil while driving. We had to put a drip bucket under the car after stopping. (2+ quarts leaked in under 45 minutes). Had the car towed and the timing chain had walked off the tracks.

Second time in February, We were driving when the car suddenly stopped. Timing chain broke and entire engine had to be replaced. Mini refused to pay for the engine repair even though the car had less than 45,000 miles on it due to the oil being 1 quart low. The car has been into the dealer for service 5 times this year. Absolute nightmare. I have reported it to NHTSA.

Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10450765

Old 03-12-2012, 12:38 PM
pilotman
1st Gear
any update on this?

at least one poster (phaetton) claims this is still prevalent on even 2011 models, his dealer apparently is seeing a lot of these now, even with low mileage. It was so bad this former sold his car.

He checked and changed the oil religiously.

Aren't 2011s and 2012s coming with the latest revised tensioner parts, and don't they fix the issue?

Or is this person's experience with his 2011 a one off?

Here is the thread...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...liability.html

Old 03-12-2012, 01:20 PM
MilesL
Neutral
Timing chain rattle outcome.

+1 I got the car back Friday. The problem was a tensioner spring. They replaced the tensioner and apparently all is well. The rattle is gone. They were very decent about the whole business.

Last edited by MilesL; 03-16-2012 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Forgot the +1
Old 03-12-2012, 11:24 PM
pxtech
2nd Gear
+1 2009 mcs

Old 03-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Timedwards
Neutral
+1 2010 MCS

This is actually my first post. I bought this car last Friday from a BMW dealership with about 37k on it. On Sunday, I noticed a strong smell of oil in the ventilation when I was heading home from a quick 15 minutes of fine motoring. I pulled into my driveway and headed inside without looking things over. An hour later, I was leaving again and noticed quite a bit of the oil was now on the ground and there was a trail of oil all the way to the street.

Yesterday, my Mini made a 300 mile journey to Mini of Austin where they are pretty sure the timing system is to blame. He went on to tell me that the tensioner system is hydraulic. When they designed the system, they didn't consider that, in the initial start of the engine, the tensioner didn't have the proper pressure to engage, leave the chain slack for a moment. Over time, this creates the wear we see. He said that this is very likely on its way to a recall. Another issue that has a related effect is the the crush ring that seals this system can deform.

I've only had the car for 2 full days, but it is definitely worth fighting for. I fell in love with it already!

Old 03-13-2012, 01:07 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Timedwards
+1 2010 MCS

This is actually my first post. I bought this car last Friday from a BMW dealership with about 37k on it. On Sunday, I noticed a strong smell of oil in the ventilation when I was heading home from a quick 15 minutes of fine motoring. I pulled into my driveway and headed inside without looking things over. An hour later, I was leaving again and noticed quite a bit of the oil was now on the ground and there was a trail of oil all the way to the street.

Yesterday, my Mini made a 300 mile journey to Mini of Austin where they are pretty sure the timing system is to blame. He went on to tell me that the tensioner system is hydraulic. When they designed the system, they didn't consider that, in the initial start of the engine, the tensioner didn't have the proper pressure to engage, leave the chain slack for a moment. Over time, this creates the wear we see. He said that this is very likely on its way to a recall. Another issue that has a related effect is the the crush ring that seals this system can deform.

I've only had the car for 2 full days, but it is definitely worth fighting for. I fell in love with it already!
It would be nice if Mini would/could figure a permanent fix for the timing chain. Had mine done last Dec. at 62K. The fix has a 2 yr. parts/labor on it so maybe they'll come up with something before I need it again.
Water pumps and thermostats also.
Have never had an issue with the crush rings though and I change my own oil/filter.
By the way, be sure to check your oil frequently as the MCS can use a little. Mine doesn't but I see lots that say their's do.
Enjoy!

Old 03-13-2012, 09:11 PM
Hammer Jammer
Neutral
+1 2008 mcs

+1 2008 MCS. My car is with the dealer right now to replace the timing chain tensioner and seal. The parts cost $50 and the dealer is quoting $900 for the job. Is that reasonable since I believe it's a half day affair? It feels rich since I was quoted $1500 if I had to replace the entire timing chain.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:35 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Hammer Jammer
+1 2008 MCS. My car is with the dealer right now to replace the timing chain tensioner and seal. The parts cost $50 and the dealer is quoting $900 for the job. Is that reasonable since I believe it's a half day affair? It feels rich since I was quoted $1500 if I had to replace the entire timing chain.
I take it you're out of warranty?
I was out when mine went. Quoted $1700 but they charged me $500 and submitted the rest to Mini as good will.

One thing though, my dealership wouldn't do just part of the replacement. Like just the tensioner guide, seal, and bolt. They will only replace the entire works. They said the reason is over the miles the adjusting bolt wasn't making proper adjustments to the chain and due to that other parts get damaged and weakened.
Don't know how much truth is in that but so far I've been good.
If you are out of warranty, see if they replace everything and submit half of it to Mini. ??? Just a thought.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:40 AM
Hammer Jammer
Neutral
Originally Posted by drsimmons
I take it you're out of warranty?
I was out when mine went. Quoted $1700 but they charged me $500 and submitted the rest to Mini as good will.

One thing though, my dealership wouldn't do just part of the replacement. Like just the tensioner guide, seal, and bolt. They will only replace the entire works. They said the reason is over the miles the adjusting bolt wasn't making proper adjustments to the chain and due to that other parts get damaged and weakened.
Don't know how much truth is in that but so far I've been good.
If you are out of warranty, see if they replace everything and submit half of it to Mini. ??? Just a thought.
Yes, my warranty expired 2 months ago. Thanks for the advice.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:13 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
2 months, they should good will that for you.

+1 for my 07

Old 03-14-2012, 11:52 PM
Hammer Jammer
Neutral
Originally Posted by turtle343
2 months, they should good will that for you.

+1 for my 07
Without going into too much detail let's say that my experience "negotiating" with the sole Houston dealership over the last week leaves me feeling that good will is not in their vocab. The quote was $950 take it or leave it without much explanation as to why it is 3 times higher than other dealerships that I called for pricing. However, I left the ball in their court to do the right thing and they may surprise me tomorrow with a more reasonable price. The fact that I am 2 months out of warranty means nothing to them.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:20 AM
mrmagoo
3rd Gear
As I have stated in earlier posts, the Tensioner, belt and CAM were replaced for free when I went in for the turbo water pump. This is part of a bulletin that is currently out for MINI.
I was at 40,000 miles and it was all done for free! Not sure of your mileage, but if you are close to mine, there should be NO charge! If there is a question concerning the charge - call MINI Corporate and check - you might have paid a "Goodwill" charge that was actually a RIP OFF by the service department!

Old 03-15-2012, 07:17 AM
Hammer Jammer
Neutral
Originally Posted by mrmagoo
As I have stated in earlier posts, the Tensioner, belt and CAM were replaced for free when I went in for the turbo water pump. This is part of a bulletin that is currently out for MINI.
I was at 40,000 miles and it was all done for free! Not sure of your mileage, but if you are close to mine, there should be NO charge! If there is a question concerning the charge - call MINI Corporate and check - you might have paid a "Goodwill" charge that was actually a RIP OFF by the service department!
I am at 37000 miles and my VIN is not part of the tensioner recall...as yet. The dealer is doing the water pump recall work at the same time as they are replacing the tensioner and seal. We'll see what the final bill is later today and hopefully they'll surprise me. Thanks for the note.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:29 AM
mrmagoo
3rd Gear
They shouldn't charge you anything. I originally took it only for the loud rattle sound, not the recall.
They offered to get the recall done, even though the notice had not gone out (one more off of their list).
They fixed everything N/C (no charge)! They had great customer service, explained what they found (CAM almost off!), and followed up.
I can not be happier with what they did, now it is PURE JOY to drive the MINI. It is worry free as I don't think about the rattle anymore. The car has gained some pep, and drives like it did when new.
I would not let them charge a single cent ($$) for the repair - it is a known problem and according to the bulletin is to be repaired at no charge.

Good Luck - any question have them contact Annapolis MINI in Annapolis Maryland - they truly know honesty and customer service!

Old 03-15-2012, 11:12 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Hammer - there is no recall on the tensioner issue. If warranty
is out and you get the issue, it's dealership preference only whether
they fix it (as good will or part good will). It'd sure be nice if they'd
do something that would prevent it happening over and over again.
I'm sure there are lots of 07-10's out there with no issues with it but
there sure are alot that post on here.
Hopefully, the dealership will fix it free or at least part of it. I was ok
with paying the $500 out of the $1700 since I expected to pay the
whole thing.
Good luck and yes, let us know the outcome.
Dave

Old 03-20-2012, 05:08 AM
tjtull
5th Gear
Well, add me to the list!! This just started happening to me a couple of weeks ago. My symptoms are, no noise at start up but after I've driven a while, the rattling starts and doesn't quit at idle. If I rev up to 2000 RMP, it goes away but at idle it sounds like a diesel. I'm out of warranty by over a year and my car has 45,000 miles on it. I have a feeling I'm in for a huge bill!! It's great to see that some people have gotten theirs paid for (or partially paid for), I don't think I'm going to be that lucky.

Those who got part or all of theirs paid for, what did you say to the service manager? I need some advice, did you quote some bulletin or something that convinced them to pay?

Old 03-20-2012, 05:34 AM
mrmagoo
3rd Gear
There is a bulletin: M11 02 07. I didn't say anything other than it was rattling very loudly and needed fixing.
Parts:
Slide Rail; 113057
Set of Profile Gaskets: 118513
Chain Tensioner: 113050
Sprocket: 113035
Bearing Bolt (X3): 119500
Gasket Ring: 118526
Timing Chain: 113030
Shaft Seal: 118526
Chain Tensioner: 113055
Guide Rail: 113056
Torx Bolt: 119500
Bolt.
All N/C

Old 03-20-2012, 05:53 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tjtull
Well, add me to the list!! This just started happening to me a couple of weeks ago. My symptoms are, no noise at start up but after I've driven a while, the rattling starts and doesn't quit at idle. If I rev up to 2000 RMP, it goes away but at idle it sounds like a diesel. I'm out of warranty by over a year and my car has 45,000 miles on it. I have a feeling I'm in for a huge bill!! It's great to see that some people have gotten theirs paid for (or partially paid for), I don't think I'm going to be that lucky.

Those who got part or all of theirs paid for, what did you say to the service manager? I need some advice, did you quote some bulletin or something that convinced them to pay?
Sorry to hear you have to join the hordes of others on this issue.
I've got a really good dealership and they are the ones that initially quoted me $1700 for everything but in the same breathe said they'd submit $1200 as good will if I could deal with the other $500. I was ok with that since I fully intended on having to pay the entire amount.
So, it depends on how good a dealership you have and how good a relationship you have with them.
I have had them install quite a few aftermarket pieces for me prior and after so don't know if that had any bearing on them offering to pay for part or not.
Good luck. Let us know.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:55 AM
tjtull
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mrmagoo
There is a bulletin: M11 02 07. I didn't say anything other than it was rattling very loudly and needed fixing.
Parts:
Slide Rail; 113057
Set of Profile Gaskets: 118513
Chain Tensioner: 113050
Sprocket: 113035
Bearing Bolt (X3): 119500
Timing Chain: 113030
Shaft Seal: 118526
Chain Tensioner: 113055
Guide Rail: 113056
Bolt.
All N/C
Wow! I just called my service manager and he said there's no bulletin relating to the timing chain and if it needed repair, it would be out of pocket. I am part of the local MINI club and I could get a discount based on that. Otherwise, nothing off. He also mentioned checking the oil and topping it off. I did that a week ago, seemed to quieten it a bit at that point but it came back.

Quick Reply: Timing chain issues