Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Idle issues - hunting after startup.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:12 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Idle issues - hunting after startup.

I have an '08 Clubman S. After start up, I drive down the street and come to a stop, the RPM's drop below the standard idle and the engine starts to hunt up and down. It's like it wants to stall. This has been on-going for about 3 months now and the behavior is not consistent. It doesn't happen all the time. I get it 1 to 2 times a week. The car never does stall so I've just been monitoring the issue.

It all started when the Dealership replaced all the spark plugs because one was dented (?!?!) and was causing problems. Since then, now this new problem has reared it's ugly head. Before I head back into the Dealership, I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this issue.

Any ideas!??!?

Old 02-25-2011, 07:53 AM
minimize07
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tominizer
I have an '08 Clubman S. After start up, I drive down the street and come to a stop, the RPM's drop below the standard idle and the engine starts to hunt up and down. It's like it wants to stall. This has been on-going for about 3 months now and the behavior is not consistent. It doesn't happen all the time. I get it 1 to 2 times a week. The car never does stall so I've just been monitoring the issue.

It all started when the Dealership replaced all the spark plugs because one was dented (?!?!) and was causing problems. Since then, now this new problem has reared it's ugly head. Before I head back into the Dealership, I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this issue.

Any ideas!??!?
HPFP(high pressuure fuel pump)possibly would cause that.Warrentied to 100,000.Also what fuel are you using.?

Old 02-26-2011, 11:31 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
92 octane Shell here in Canada

Old 03-12-2011, 08:28 AM
bennyG19
1st Gear
Ours did that and it was a cracked valve cover. We got that replaced under extended warranty and haven't had the issue since.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:02 PM
tominizer
4th Gear
Regarding my surging idle, here's an update.

They have changed the in-tank pump as it was on it's way out. Also a bad O2 sensor. I get the car back and it's still surging under idle. It's worse when the engine is cold. So the problem is still there.

I had a look under the hood and the valve cover is weeping oil at the gasket across the front. I'm wondering if this is the issue. Thing is, I believe they have already changed it once before. Regardless, it's leaking again. Back she goes to the Dealership again next week.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Ken G.
4th Gear
The oil from the valve cover gasket isn't causing the surge, it's just messy. I had to get mine replaced after 57,000 miles.

I think the in-tank pump is the low pressure pump, so you may still need the high pressure pump replaced. I'd ask the service guy about it.

By how many RPM's does your engine surge?

Old 04-11-2011, 09:20 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
I believe this is the second valve cover gasket in under 2 years. I was wondering if it's maybe a vacuum leak?

Surges at least a good 500-600 rpm.

Could eb the HPFP as well, but the service manager said the '08's and up are usually good because they have the newer pump. Truth or lies, I don't know.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:23 AM
ckeburgess
Neutral
My 07 coupe is doing a similar thing. I a very interested to find out the cause of this.
A few times a week, definitely not every drive, when sitting at lights the rpm drops from the usual 900ish rpm to about 5-600. Its like its trying to stall. If the lights are particularly long or the car has had a few goes at this, the engine malfunction light comes on. This then gives reduced power etc.
I was told when i went to BMW (for a different reason) that this sometimes happens from a tank of bad fuel. I run 98 PULP, and have used different brands, and has been filled and emptied numerous times.
Living in Sydney so its not all that cold (i saw another thread about this).

Any ideas?
Thanks
Chris

Old 04-14-2011, 05:43 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
That fuel thing is a load of dog-shyt. I've heard that story so many times now. It's complete crap.

I haven't taken the old girl back yet to the dealership. The weather up here has been warmer and she's not acting up as much. I also jus thaven't had the time to get her there. She still doesn't idle smoothly, but at least it's not jumping around as much. I'm still thinking vacuum leak somewhere. When I see my independent mechanic buddy this weekend, I'm going to talk it over with him. If I have anything to report back, I'll post it here.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:40 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Having the same issues. Checked under the bonnet this morning and spotted oil leaking from the top driver's side of the valve cover. This oil was not there on Friday.

Dropped of the MINI to get the valve cover replaced this morning. Hope this solves the hunting issue.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:57 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
She's going back in the Thursday. Hopefully they WILL find the issue this time. I absolutely luv/hate my Mini. I REALLY want this issue to get resolved. Gaaaaah

There's a whole bunch of stuff that I want to add to the car but I don't want to touch anything until this problem is fixed. This car has been in the dealership more then my X5 ever was. My patience is waning.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:01 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
Had the valve cover replace but still hunting. It does not do it as much with the factory JCW tune as it does with the RMW tune. Is did a compression check on the motor and all pressures within spec and with 5 psi between cylenders. Also did a smoke pressure check of the intake system and there are no leaks.

I have noticed that the vacuum seems to be lower than usual during de-accerleration and at idle. Could this be related to the vacuum pump?

Old 04-25-2011, 04:43 PM
tominizer
4th Gear
I'm going to mention to Dealership what things you've looked at. Hopefully they will look at those things last then. Slowly we seem to be ticking off possible issues. This thread may become of value yet.

With mine I've noticed that now since I've had the in tank pump replaced, it's not as bad. The hunting is not as massive. But it's still messed up. IT doesn't seem to happen once the car is warm. Almost seems to me like a gasket issue or something temp related that is expanding.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:22 AM
worm
1st Gear
800 rpm drop in jcw is it normal?

Old 05-01-2011, 05:13 PM
scottab36
5th Gear
While attending MOTD 2011 I had the HELIX folks scan my car over two days. It showed a code for the MAP temperature sensor. We swapped the MAP sensor located on the charge tube with a known good sensor and the hunting stopped. I have ordered both MAP sensors and will replace them this week. I will post an update.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:41 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
Would be interested in knowing how this went. My Mini is going into the dealership today.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:17 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
Will let you know. Picking up the parts tomorrow. The dealer had to order them in.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:37 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
Cool. My dealership visit is kind of holding off to see how you make out. I'm tired of this issue to be honest.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:46 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
I will let you know. It did not show a code the first time HELIX read the ECU. The second time they read it showed code "2F07" (MAP Thermostat Mechanism) DME. It only takes two minutes to install the sensor so I will do it before I leave the dealer.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:22 PM
scottab36
5th Gear
Replaced both MAP sensors and the MINI is idling super smooth!!!

Old 05-07-2011, 07:17 AM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Having the same issues with mine. Im taking it in today. My water pump was changed last week. I had them check the fuel pump and they tolde it was fine. We'll see what they have to say.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:37 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
Originally Posted by scottab36
Replaced both MAP sensors and the MINI is idling super smooth!!!
Okay, I spoke too soon. The hunting is still an issue. Dropped it off at the dealer and we'll see what they say. I know it can't really be a sensor issue since all MAP, the MAF and all O2 sensors have been replaced.

There focusing on the intake manifold area for possible leaks. Also having the ECU reflashed to see if that might be causing a problem.

I will post an update.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:12 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
Well, that's unfortunate.

Already had my ECU reflashed and didn't help.

Intank fuel pump changed and didn't help.

Some time ago, I pulled off the BSH Oil Catcher Can setup. No change to my idling issue either. Dealership was claiming it could have been due to this setup (BS), so I'm leaving it off until things get resolved.

Once again, this all started on my Mini after a complete spark plug change. Before that time, I never had this issue. I've mentioned this to the dealership on numerous occassions and ............... crickets. I'm not sure if there's some relationship here that may be contributing to this issue.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:26 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tominizer
Well, that's unfortunate.

Once again, this all started on my Mini after a complete spark plug change. Before that time, I never had this issue. I've mentioned this to the dealership on numerous occassions and ............... crickets. I'm not sure if there's some relationship here that may be contributing to this issue.

Interesting. I also put all new plugs in around the same time this issue started......... Dealer is also looking into the electronic valve timing. Hard to diagnose though without it throwing a code for that.

Last edited by scottab36; 05-09-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:26 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
Boooh-yaaaah. A possible lead. Sparkplugs ?!!?!?!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Idle issues - hunting after startup.