Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

from 5 to 6

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 10:55 AM
ubolt
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone looked into changing out the mini cooper five speed for the mini cooper sports six speed? I received my minimania catalog, and in it they offer the sport six speed as a replacement for a broken one or an upgrade to the nonsport five speed. Looking into it a bit I found that the ratios are extremely different. It seems to me more would be involved in this upgrade. I don't know much about this subject and would be happy if some one could shed some light on it. And would this improve the performance of the mini cooper?

Old 10-04-2002, 05:00 PM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This has nothing much to do with what you're asking. But I went in for my after-break-in oil change for my MCS a little while back. The dealer gave me a loaner Cooper to rip around in for the time I was without my baby. I was so used to driving a 6sp manual. And now they give me this 5sp Cooper. Had to constantly keep reminding myself NOT to drop it into 6th gear, cause there wasn't one on that car. Only 5 gears. Just about put it from 5th gear into reverse which I would have thought was 6th. That would not have been cool. That would have been an expensive weekend.
But in relation to what you're talking about, I would think that would be quite the costly modification to do. I'd be thinking about installing other mods before that, if I had just the regular Cooper.