Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Help me diagnose this clutch/trans sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 01:25 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me diagnose this clutch/trans sound

So I have this noise that I get after the car is warmed up and I get off the freeway. When I put extra load on the clutch for inclines, driveways, etc. I get this slight howl when I slip the clutch. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet, what do y'all think? Please see the video below and turn up your speakers for this vid because the iphone's mic sucks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQxvDBKj0Sc

Old 02-04-2011, 01:38 PM
TerryW
1st Gear
Howling clutch

Originally Posted by thevelourfog
So I have this noise that I get after the car is warmed up and I get off the freeway. When I put extra load on the clutch for inclines, driveways, etc. I get this slight howl when I slip the clutch. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet, what do y'all think? Please see the video below and turn up your speakers for this vid because the iphone's mic sucks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQxvDBKj0Sc
I have the same thing in my '03 MCS. I can manage it by milking the clutch a little (not optimal). Others say that it is because the flywheel is glazed. The only real solution is to replace the whole clutch and flywheel assembly ($$$$). I talked to a guy at a local shop today (highly recommended by other Mini owners) and he said not to worry if it doesn't slip. He said that he would be inclined to get on it a little more to see if it gets worse. His take is that Mini clutches are pretty robust and most last for about 150K. So, mine isn't slipping and this only happens in first gear when the car is cold. I can drive it so that the noise is minimal or non-existent. I am not going to worry unless it seems that performance gets worse. I'll save up the $2K repair cost over time and do it later (if I have the car that long).

Old 02-04-2011, 02:30 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Mine isn't slipping at all either. It does it only after a longer drive and not when cold. I think the flywheel would have no trouble being covered under warranty, so if that's the case, then new clutch and flywheel for me! I only have about 27k on the car right now.