Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

The Yo-Yo Chronicles

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 08:58 PM
Sideways
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boot Rattle

Originally Posted by Blue Brummie
Just brought my MINI in for it's first unscheduled service, and although the manager seemed to know exactly what was causing the boot rattle I've developed over the past few months, the thicker striker did nothing.

Although this result is a bit disappointing (especially since I'd already tried the electrical tape fix others have suggested, and quite honestly, I don't think they really tried to find the source of the problem), the service manager at MoP was very positive, and said they'd find and fix the problem. Has anyone else noted any other sources of noise in the boot area (particular in the Left rear side) ??

<snip>
BB
I think I can tell you exactly what this is - same deal, MoP *almost* fixed it.
Inside the tailgate, there is a small, plastic covered push-on connector that's dangling on the end of a wire harness - just under the window, and maybe 3/4 of the way towards the driver's side. I think it connects to the in-window FM antenna that's only used on cars with the NAV system. Anyway, it's quite loud when it rattles against the sheet metal.

I fixed it in 1/2 a lunch hour by cable tying it back on itself with several cable ties, and covering the whole mess with electrical tape for good measure. Most of the time requirement is prying out the numerous clips that still hold the trim piece in, even after you remove all the screws. The wire connecting the wiper motor doesn't help either. If you have trouble, PM me & I can Email a pdf page from the TIS manual showing the screw & clip locations. Good luck!

Back on topic - Have I missed a thumbs up/down "voting page" on V38.x? - The V36 update definitely got rid of the "one big stumble", but the Yo-Yo and general jerkiness aren't getting any better. The 02-04 MCS will probably always be a tricky car to launch smoothly, just due to zero torque at <3,000 RPM and the relatively tall 1st gear. Gary at MoP is probably wise with "the jury's out" attitude - everything else seems to get worse as the long-term fuel trims tweak everything for the sake of the EPA. I'm thinking I'll probably wait 'till the spring & see what's the latest. That only holds if I get to store the MINI again & my POS winter car holds up.

Back to motoring...

Old 09-20-2004, 09:26 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Sideways
everything else seems to get worse as the long-term fuel trims tweak everything for the sake of the EPA.
You obviously don't drive your MINI hard enough. The Trim is definintely reactive to how you drive! Drive it like you stole it, and it'll give you more power. Drive it like grandma, and it won't! ...but don't think driving it like grandma will help your economy, it won't! Lose/lose? Nope, you'll just have to drive it harder, hee hee.

Old 09-20-2004, 10:19 PM
Sideways
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
You obviously don't drive your MINI hard enough. The Trim is definintely reactive to how you drive! Drive it like you stole it, and it'll give you more power. Drive it like grandma, and it won't! ...but don't think driving it like grandma will help your economy, it won't! Lose/lose? Nope, you'll just have to drive it harder, hee hee.
Hmmm - maybe it's back to the EVO autocross school with 23 runs in a day... All I can say is I'm bound to get arrested soon, I always hit 90mph uphill every day (hey, it's Masachusetts) & I get yelled at by the wife on a regular basis. At least I drive fast enough to miss the Azenis every time I put the runflats back on...

I do seem to get about 23mpg no matter what, and it does feel slightly zippier after a day of WOT at an autocross (you usually get 8 runs at the BMWCCA events). Anyway, nothing seems to change the fact that it will Yo-Yo very reliably in several spots, including the hill on the way to my house. It always used to Yo-Yo with V32 as well, maybe it's just more irritating once the stumble isn't distracting me. I think cars always get a little worse when all the bushings, u-joints, gears, etc. get broken in, i.e. looser/sloppier. Only 15K miles, but quite noticable (very crappy roads around here).

So whaddya think - am I a prime V38 candidate? I'd try a Ryephix, but so far I'm **** about keeping it SCCA stock legal.

BTW - Thanks for all your tireless work on this subject...

Old 09-28-2004, 12:29 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those that don't watch MINI2 ... note this post by "here2help" who was (is?) a tech within the MINI organization - I think maybe connected with the factory ...

I Have it on good authority that there will be no more updates for this engine in the future and CD Version 38 (not 38.1) was the cure for all the running faults on mini's.

Hesitation/bog/yo-yo etc.

Old 09-28-2004, 07:39 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
For what it's worth, I have V39 installed. I can't be objective as to its possible effect because I had the bypass valve and engine harness replaced at the same time. This much I know, it does not fix the rough idle. My tach seems to act more responsive though.

Old 09-29-2004, 07:27 AM
dotBob
Coordinator :: Houston MINI Motoring Society
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is there a definite way for a non-dealer to tell what version of code is running on the ECU?

Old 09-29-2004, 06:28 PM
MINImaniacS
1st Gear
dude, alll this stuff happining about the yoyo and the rough idle , im planning on getting a mini cooper S but with all this in mind , im starting to doubt it because of all these problems , how can mini or bmw not get on this , after us spending 24k dollars on a car and yet put so many problems , specially bmw being a well known brand ....disapointed .

cheers juan.

Old 09-29-2004, 10:44 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
--->dotBob; doesn't seem there is a concrete way to know.

--->MINIminiacS; nothing is perfect. After all, the MINI is British!

Old 09-30-2004, 06:27 AM
Blue Brummie
4th Gear
I agree with Ryan, no car is perfect. The reality of this community is that we all like to share our thoughts and ideas and experiences with our MINI's. As human nature would have it, we're a bit more prone to discussing our little problems than we our the regular daily driving pleasure our MINI's give us.

MINIManiacS, don't let these discussions dissuade you from buying a MINI. The car is a great daily driver, with lots of pep, and gobs of cache.

BB

Old 10-01-2004, 07:10 AM
PlickBadger
Neutral
Originally Posted by dotBob
Is there a definite way for a non-dealer to tell what version of code is running on the ECU?
I can identify v36 and v38.

Old 10-01-2004, 08:05 AM
CoryB
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How?

Originally Posted by PlickBadger
I can identify v36 and v38.

Old 10-01-2004, 08:17 AM
PlickBadger
Neutral
Originally Posted by CoryB
How?
Binary comparissons of downloaded original ECU mappings using Cartune from MTH

Old 10-01-2004, 06:43 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
...but you haven't found a way for US to differentiate between Versions

Old 10-02-2004, 05:44 AM
PlickBadger
Neutral
Yeah you would have to download your unmodified ECU using cartune, and email it to me, or I could email a v36 or v38 org file for comparisson. :smile:

Old 10-02-2004, 09:07 PM
minibrute
4th Gear
No yoyo

I'm fortunate in many ways but the fact that my mcs doesn't yoyo makes me very happy. I know v36 was loaded on my car and possibly v38 at a time my car went for service. I mentioned to the service manager that some times the first start of the day the car would need turning the key twice to get it running. They said they had new software that should fix it, I don't care one way or the other now. I'm running mth software and it's amazing. I don't mean to hijack this thread. Don't let this thread be the reason you don't buy a mini, there is much more to it. I just wanted to share that, thank you.
27,000 miles, all the way.

Old 10-06-2004, 05:18 PM
Pat W
2nd Gear
Well I had my software upgraded to git rid of the cold start problem. it ran great for a week. then the cold start was back and the Yo Yo started at around 3000~4000 rpm. The addition of the higher rate spring is interesting. but if it is an osolation problem what if the valve was dampened with say some linckage and a Rc car shock? externally? humm. when I get my car back from the dealer as they are updating my cooling fan circuitry. I am putting on the Hot air intake and I will test this theory out. also if linckage was made externally with a rc gar shock you could use the shock with a spring or without and adjust the prelode. the K value of the stock spring in the valve and the K value of the shock spring would be added together to equal a higher K. but if it is true osolation seems a damper could help and keep fuel economy up. I use my car to commute 100 miles every day. I don't wish to loose my economy. but I do wish to loose the Yo Yo.

Old 10-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Minitaur
Neutral
YoYo Gone

Hi PatW, I had the same grief with my S (YoYo) from new, updated to v38 and installed MTH, no more YoYo very different car now maybe i'll keep it.

Do you have the intermittent idle that so many people have complained about? Mine has had that problem as well as the YoYo since day one.

Old 10-07-2004, 07:56 PM
fuzzyface
2nd Gear
Well guys , its to early to tell for sure. I had V39 installed and it looks like a nice increase in MPG!! The highest i had show on the 'puter was 35.5 on the highway in 14,000 miles. But, after the upgrade it showed 38.8 MPG. And so far(about 150 miles) no rough idle.:smile: It was off by about 2 MPG before, for my actual milage. I will keep tabs on it and let you all know if it definetly is better, Tim

Old 10-08-2004, 03:58 PM
Minitaur
Neutral
v39 What is it for?

Hi fuzzyface, did the nice people at the dealership tell you what v39 was specifically supposed to address?

I am assuming by your post that you had the rough idle problem before, have you had it since day one of ownership?

Old 10-10-2004, 06:24 PM
fuzzyface
2nd Gear
Minitaur, yes it was for an emissions recall campaign 04-a01. the s/m told me specifically what it was, but i forgot!! sorry, Tim

Old 10-13-2004, 07:48 AM
Pebblecrusher
4th Gear
Had my 2nd scheduled maintanence on Oct 6. Only took 2 hours instead of the 3-4 hours they estimated. They said they applied an update to the ECU (assuming it's the EPA thing mentioned on this page or the previous one). When I asked if that meant I got v38 I was told yes. v38 was the latest and it was loaded with the update.

I can confirm that my cruise control is much better (+ or - 1 MPH now instead of 3-5). But I still have some occassional trouble starting the car. Clutch in, key turned, nothing. Take out key, clutch out, key in, clutch in, turn... nothing. This is after driving for several hours and stopping at a gas station. Very strange, and very intermittent.

MPG seems better, but hard to tell. They did reset the ECU after loading the new software, so all of my observations are during my re-training period. I might have to re-reset the ECU as well. Went up the the Dragon 2 days after the computer was reset.

Edit:
Oh, forgot to mention that they "fixed" my rattling boot. They said there was a recall on it. I never heard it rattle, so never bothered me and the fix seems to work. But if it wasn't rattling before.... :smile:

Old 10-19-2004, 04:31 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
This is for you, Ryephile! Tee hee!

6. Be careful of the mental parts when dissemble the yo yo.

Clover

Old 10-20-2004, 07:42 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by MINIclo
6. Be careful of the mental parts when dissemble the yo yo.
Thanks, haa haa. I was wondering why I kept poking my eye everytime I looked under the bonnet

Old 10-21-2004, 03:52 PM
PNSCMINI
Neutral
So much fun..

3 weeks no yo-yo, thought the dealer had it licked! BUT, since the cooler weather has been around, now I have the cold start problem and the yo-yo is worse than ever. V38 Back to the shop I go.......

Old 10-22-2004, 11:03 PM
Tokio
2nd Gear
Lemons all

Haven't looked in here for quite some time - it's disapointing to see that BMW still have no clue or couldn't care less about those owners with yoyo. Glad I Lemoned mine while I had the chance or I'd still be listening to the BS BMW would conjure up every time I asked them to fix the car.
To those who say no car is perfect - I say nonsense - I have a first year build FX 35 and it is bullet proof.

Sorry that you folks have had to put up with the BMW deception while so may other owners don't have yoyo.

Shame on BMW for dangling carrots in front of mini owners all this time.

Quick Reply: The Yo-Yo Chronicles