Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Dramatic Oil Loss - Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Ferari
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems to be that time of year! I experienced the same symptoms although I caught the oil leak early. Same explanation from SA that tensioner bolt backed out allowing oil to leak out. Was down about a quart of oil when I got it to the dealer (checked continuously until I was able to get it in). Confirmed and fixed within a day.

Incidentally less than 100 miles later had cold start issues. Back to the dealer. The SA knew exactly what it was (HPFP) but couldn't recreate the issue. They kept the car for an extra two days and were finally able to recreate the cold start issue and replaced the pump same day.

Very satisfied with the SA and dealership.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:00 PM
caschnd1
Neutral
This thread was very helpful! I noticed a good size puddle of oil under my wife's 2010 MINI Cooper S yesterday afternoon. I know there was no oil on the garage floor on Sunday so it was a new development. Sure enough, it was coming from the tensioner bolt. Took the car in to the dealer this morning. The tensioner bolt had backed out and was leaking but had not come out completely. They performed the service in SIM-11-02-07 and cleaned up the oil.

Now I rarely drive this car but since it was new (only has 4800 miles on it today) I always felt like there was a lot of driveline lash. After the dealer serviced the timing chain tensioner today the car drives smoother then the day I brought it home from the dealer. Seems what I was feeling wasn't driveline lash, but must have then related to the cam chain tensioner. Hoping that driving the car 4800 miles in this condition hasn't damaged the cam chain or associated pieces. I'll be hanging onto the paperwork from today's warrenty repair in case there are future problems related to the cam chain.

-Craig

Old 02-17-2011, 06:27 AM
545h4
1st Gear
Sorry for the cross-post, just thought I'd mention that I just went through this 2 days ago as well...

My '10 MCS with 21,000 miles had it's 1 year oil change in early December. All along I've been checking the oil religiously, and only once (maybe around 5k) I needed to top it off ever so slightly.

I had ~1mile to go, low oil pressure light flashed, I slowed a bit and started hearing the rattle so I threw it into neutral for most of the remainder. When I got out to look it over, my little black and white car bore a striking resemblence to a penguin in the Valdez spill... I got it towed to the dealership on Mini Roadside assistance, and was nervous that an engine rebuild was on the horizon. They gave me a loaner right away, but my car was ready by the end of the day. Diagnosis: timing chain tensioner stretched, backed out of a block. All in all, everything was covered under the warranty.

I was surprised by how sudden it all happened, considering that there was no evidence of a leak in my parking spot from the night before...

Old 03-21-2011, 04:53 PM
squirrel33
Neutral
I agree 100% this is ridiculous. I am going through it right now with my 09 clubman. Had mine towed to the dealer today as the shutter from the engine was pretty bad. I never had any indicator light come on what so ever. lucily, a friend noticed oil when I left her house and called me. The entire undercarriage, wheel, well, and exterior passenger side of the car was covered in oil. I immediately went and bought oil, filled it up and checked under the car with the engine idling... it was coming out in a steady stream under the car. When I asked the SA today if they knew of the tensioner problems, she said yes, but it had only happened in S models (which mine is not) She then gave me the run around of all of the things that could cause an oil leak. And what do you know, she called me a few hours later to tell me that my leak was indeed caused by the tensioner. I am so angry, and I think my mini days are over. this needs to be addressed (recall)

Last edited by squirrel33; 03-21-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:35 AM
spoon
1st Gear
New Engine

Hi All,
A quick update on my experience a few months ago, my red oil light came on at freeway speeds...

Dealer had the car for a month, replaced the engine block and all moving parts in the engine. SA said most of the time was going back and forth with Mini. The service receipt is pages and pages long! An expensive fix, but the SA and dealer were great in getting this resolved for me.

New Engine is covered under normal warranty or 2 years, whichever is longer. I've had the car back for 2 months, runs as good as new.

Good luck to all of you going through this same issue.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:09 AM
pheatton
5th Gear
Good to hear. I must admit that while I worked at a local Dodge dealer for 8 years we really did not do a lot of engine rebuilds/replacements...

Lets hope the 2011s have this fixed.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:34 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I think anyone who has the ability should probably put a wrench on theirs and double check it, and if you're not able, maybe run by the dealer or ask them to check it on the next service...

Old 03-22-2011, 12:38 PM
pheatton
5th Gear
Oh Im definitely having them check my 2011 when it goes in for some minor build QC issues tomorrow.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:40 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIdave
I think anyone who has the ability should probably put a wrench on theirs and double check it, and if you're not able, maybe run by the dealer or ask them to check it on the next service...
Does anyone know whether there's a torque specification on the tensioner bolt? And if so, what?

Old 03-24-2011, 06:11 PM
cenobyt
2nd Gear
Just brought my mini in for service today. It's a 2010 with 16,000 miles. I brought it in due to several small issues and figured I'd get it's yearly service to.
Interestingly enough I never saw a drip of oil. Never even guessed there was an oil issue. The engine always rapped like it was low on oil but levels checked out ok.

Well same issue as everyone else here "...oil leak coming from the timing chain tensioner backing out of the cylinder head. Removed the tensioner and replaced crush washer then re-torqued the tensioner to resolve..."

Old 05-29-2011, 10:37 PM
NintenTom
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by timfitz63
Does anyone know whether there's a torque specification on the tensioner bolt? And if so, what?
+1 did anyone ever find the spec for this?

Old 05-30-2011, 07:32 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by NintenTom
+1 did anyone ever find the spec for this?
It ended up getting answered in a similar discussion thread, but I guess no one bothered to update this one...

Old 06-01-2011, 07:54 PM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by timfitz63
It ended up getting answered in a similar discussion thread, but I guess no one bothered to update this one...
Glad you found it.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:53 AM
mini co
1st Gear
I was not so lucky. Have a 07 Cooper S. Chain tensioner fixed in Oct. 10. Never noticed a oil leak but car suddenly stopped. Towed to dealer they said I only had 1 1/2 qts of oil in the engine. 64K, no warranty. I supposedly let it run out of oil, so MINI would not offer any assistance since it was "customer negligence". Took it in for regular maintenance. did everything I was suppose to do. Never got any warning lights that oil pressure was low. Cost of new engine $6,087. Not a 2011 engine, just a engine with all new parts. Not a happy MINI owner anymore. They said they would trade mine in on a new 2011, but would only give me $7500 for it.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:06 PM
Apollo182
Neutral
Took our mini in for an oil change back in 5/2011. They(dealer) said it was leaking a little from the chain tensioner. Cost around 240. Is this what everyone else has paid. A few days ago I took it to a local shop to have wheels put on and he showed me that it has been leaking for a bit since the front passenger side has been sprayed with oil. He said he did no know what it was. I have to wait until Monday for him to look at it. Been monitoring the oil ever since 5/2011. I have only had to put in 2 qts of castrol since. As of now it is about two thirds of the way between the ***** on the dipstick. I am concerned that I should not drive it until it gets fixed, but I need it for a few trips. Any thoughts? Has anyone had a dealer just fix the small leak? We are not in warranty anymore 08 clubman with about 69000 on it. I just dont want to get screwed by my mini dealer in wi, but the local shop I go to for other issues has told me that they have never fixed that portion on a mini. Is this a tough fix? Any thoughts would help me out!!

Old 08-19-2011, 04:32 AM
grgramps
4th Gear
Apollo, I haven't had the pleasure of paying the dealer for repairs as my MINI is still under warranty. However, from what I've seen on this forum, repairs made by the dealer are guaranteed for 2 years. If the current leak is from the chain tensioner, you may not need to pay anything additional. If it's from a different source they may charge again for necessary repairs.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:37 AM
jbourne
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Interesting. I had exactly the same issue just now, but I don't think they applied SIM-11-02-07 to mine - they just replaced the chain tensioner. Should I insist they do the whole service bulletin? I suddenly "discovered" I was leaking oil after I took a wheel off (no oil on the ground, but plenty of oil on the suspension arms), and had to top up the oil as it was around "Min".

Old 09-08-2011, 12:03 PM
bcski
3rd Gear
went in today for a check of my breaks. they noticed i was down 1 qt and sure enough, "timing chain tensioner crush washer" needs replaced

Old 09-08-2011, 02:13 PM
pheatton
5th Gear
Is the part number for this tensioner 11317597895?

Also where is this thing located?

Last edited by pheatton; 09-08-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:05 PM
wildcrazy442000
4th Gear
My MINI was at the tire shop for new wheels and tires, when they mentioned I had a oil leak. I had checked it the day before and the levels were good. Drove home checked the oil again, and I was less than a quart low. But it had oil all over the right front wheel they had taken off, oil on the new wheel, and oil on the underside of the car. MINI Roadside Assistance flatbed-ed the car to the dealer, Timing Chain Tensioner seal had failed. SA said it was spraying oil. I am surprised the car did not caught fire as oil was spraying on the exhaust.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:23 AM
TChezem
2nd Gear
My 2009 Clubman is leaking (at 28,200 miles), as near as I can tell at the timing chain tensioner, just found a puddle the size of a 50 cent bit on the garage floor. Lifted the car up and reached in and dryed/wiped all the oil off. I know it ill be under warranty, as for the fix. Can I dirve the car another 1500 miles unitl the annual service/30k service is due, as this seems to be a slow seep...or will the tensioner bolt go to catastropic really fast once it's seeping?

Old 10-19-2011, 08:40 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TChezem
My 2009 Clubman is leaking (at 28,200 miles), as near as I can tell at the timing chain tensioner, just found a puddle the size of a 50 cent bit on the garage floor. Lifted the car up and reached in and dryed/wiped all the oil off. I know it ill be under warranty, as for the fix. Can I dirve the car another 1500 miles unitl the annual service/30k service is due, as this seems to be a slow seep...or will the tensioner bolt go to catastropic really fast once it's seeping?
If you're sure the oil is seeping from the tensioner, I personally wouldn't chance delaying the repair; there have been a number of folks here on the forum who have experienced this thing going on them while the engine is running, and the outcome is usually not good!

I would recommend getting it repaired ASAP; if this is indeed an 'under-warranty' repair for you, there's no advantage in delaying the work. I'd even consider having MINI tow the car to the dealership.

If you do drive it in the interim period, be sure to check the leak and your oil level frequently until it's repaired -- and as a general rule, it's always a good idea to frequently check the oil level on these turbocharged MINI's.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:38 AM
djdraddy
Banned
No Oil!

Well, as I am typing my '10 Clubman S is over at the dealer.

Last night on my way home from work I noticed a momentary flash of the oil light as I stopped for a traffic light. I immediately pulled over into a parking lot and shut it down. Checked the dipstick... No Oil!

I looked all around the engine area but I didn't see any obvious signs of oil leaking until I looked at the back of the motor between the head and the firewall on the passenger side of the car. Oil was everywhere. I took a step back and looked at the side and back of the car... everything from the middle of the passenger door back was covered with oil.

Called Mini Roadside and they sent a flatbed. I thought about this situation for a bit. What if someone at the dealer decides to drive the car before they check out why its there. I had a couple qts. of oil in the back of the car so I added one just in case.

The tow truck guys didn't want to start the engine to move it so they pushed the car the few feet so they could get a cable hooked onto it. As they looked at their hands they were covered with oil and there was a big puddle on the ground where the car had been sitting.

So, that's how my day is going.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:53 PM
TChezem
2nd Gear
I called my local SA at the Dealership, they want my car in ASAP and said oil leaks need to be fixed....hmmm, I suggested waiting 1500 miles until it's due for the 30k service/check and annual oil change. They want the car in now, and will look at it on 10/25/11. I think the dealership knows more about this leak than they're telling the owners. I have 1 year left and 20k of miles on the warranty. Glad to have caught this now, and while it's small unlike others on this post who have had the "Exxon Valdez" special! I hope the leak is indeed the tensioner crush washer only, and no more. Will update post after repairs are done.

If I am reading the forum right, these warranty repairs, on the TC tensioner, have a two year warranty?

Just got the car back, in and out in one day. Replaced timng chain tensioner part #11-31-7-607-551. I have 1 year left on warranty, we'll see if it leaks again....thanks to all who psoted comments here, good to find answers to common problems.

Last edited by TChezem; 10-25-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:31 PM
djdraddy
Banned
Got my car back yesterday. They replaced the Chain Tensioner and Crush Washer all under warranty. So I lost a day, it could'a been worse.

Quick Reply: Dramatic Oil Loss - Oil Leak