Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Fraying seatbelt... anyone else??

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:23 AM
33EJB
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Fraying seatbelt... anyone else??

Well my '08 MINI Cooper is going back to the dealer this Friday to have a seatbelt problem examined. The driver's belt is frayed along one edge, the frayed bit is about 4 inches in length. It's in an odd spot, sort of in the middle where the belt crosses my stomach - not near the buckle, just sort of in the middle of nowhere. Nothing is rubbing on it that I can see (and no, I'm not THAT fat to cause it by my own stomach!). When the belt is retracted, the frayed part rolls back into the "B" pillar so I can't see if there is a problem in there without taking the trim panel off. The belt doesn't seem to rub or contact the "B" pillar trim as it retracts/unrolls in any unnatural way, either.

The strange part is that this is the second time this has happened. The driver's belt was replaced (warranty) at my first service last June '09. The car had around 16000 miles (26000km) then, has about 24000 miles (40000km) now.

Just wondered if anyone else has had any seatbelt "issues", or is this unique to me?

BTW, this is my first non-scheduled dealer visit since June '08 delivery. It has been to the dealer exactly once for its scheduled service in June '09. They fixed a few very minor things at the first service, all under warranty and with no questions asked. The MINI has been dead reliable and trouble free, and still as much fun to drive as the day I took delivery.

Hope I'm not tempting fate by saying that....

__________________________________________________ _

Old 02-02-2010, 09:33 AM
ran-o-matic
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No problems for me. Sounds like you have an issue in the retractor and they didn't replace that the last time.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:16 AM
trwxxa
4th Gear
The seatbelt is a federally mandated safety item. The dealer should fix it, even if it was out of warranty. I had a friind get a seatbelt retractor fixed on an 11 year old Mustang for free. I'm not sure if they are required by law to fix it, but fixing it is certainly cheaper than a wrongful death law suit if someone gets killed because a safety item failed in one of their cars.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:30 AM
33EJB
4th Gear
Originally Posted by trwxxa
The seatbelt is a federally mandated safety item. The dealer should fix it, even if it was out of warranty. I had a friind get a seatbelt retractor fixed on an 11 year old Mustang for free. I'm not sure if they are required by law to fix it, but fixing it is certainly cheaper than a wrongful death law suit if someone gets killed because a safety item failed in one of their cars.
I have every confidence that my dealer WILL fix it. They've been exemplary in my limited dealings with them so far. I sent an email this morning to schedule a service app't to get this looked at - they called me back within an hour, app't was scheduled on the day I requested and they booked a loaner car for me, too. So I'm happy - as long as it doesn't happen every 6 months.

It must be the retractor mechanism rubbing on the belt fabric or something like that, as posted above. It's just worn in such an odd spot, it has to be something out of the ordinary that's causing it.

thanks for the replies... anyone else?

Old 02-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by trwxxa
All my family's Mustangs have been very reliable (ignoring problems with non-factory modifications), but the seatbelt retractors are basically worthless.

Back on topic, I haven't noticed any fraying problems with my '09, but I'll be watching for it, now.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:58 PM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get it fixed. Heaven forbid you ever need it.

I was involved in a head on, as a passenger, and my seat belt broke. Both feet broke with the first hit. My left shoulder broke my jaw as I spun into the dash. The center console snapped my left hip into 3 pieces and dislocated my pelvis (not that easy on a guy). I woke up ten days later in the middle of a conversation with some other Airman in the ward. It was like "in the car -BLINK- ten days later in the hospital".
I gots dain bramage, but I'm feeling much better now.

Make it a priority. Get it fixed.

Please.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:39 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had this problem with my 05 S driver's belt. seems the plastic ring the belt goes thru had some rough and sharp edges that frayed the belt. replaced NQA.