Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Why are Mini Coopers still junk?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:37 AM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Xymox
AMEN. Thank you.
I have higher expectations from moderators. That did nothing to contribute to the discussion.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:23 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually I went back and read all of his posts here on NAM. This is a guy who has had a string of bad luck with his MINIs from his wife hydrolocking her Cooper, then running into a coyote, to having bad dealings with his local dealer about a squealing clutch and worn brakes and with Palo Uber poor customer service and having a burrito thrown at his MINI causing headlight damage, to problems with his aftermarket sound system.

Personally I've had quite a few issues with my '05 before I modded it and I can understand the frustration but what I think is missing here is that he should be working with an independent shop considering his poor history with his dealer and he should be getting more than one quote. He has mentioned that he has a friend with a body shop and I believe another mechanic friend of his. Maybe he just needs to blow steam and seek sympathy from NAM members.

Sure let the OP vent, but since he's venting publicly and his posts are visible by all, here's a little history on his posts. I left out anything that wasn't directly pertinent about this history.

His first post on 10/27/06 says that he had a 2004 Cooper and just received his new 2006 S.

Less than 2 weeks later he posts on 11/7/06 that his wife hit a coyote and the MINI was in the body shop suffering $800 worth of damage.

11/10/06 he thinks there is something wrong with his PS after reading a thread about the car fires and PS.

11/10/06 he posts that he got his window regulator fixed under warranty cause they squeaked when rolling down.

11/21/06 he puts up his wifes '04 Cooper with 49K miles for $17K. Not sure which MINI hit the coyote since he says this is in excellent condition and garaged.

11/28/06 he posts that his wife hydrolocked her MC 2 years ago at 10,000 miles. Insurance fixed the $6,000 repair.

12/21/06 he posts that he traded in the '04 Cooper and got a 2006 MCS

12/22/06 posts gorgeous pix of his new '06 MCS

1/12/07 posts that his Xenons are shaky over rough ground and makes the car cheap.

1/16/07 he recommends the MCS over the MC (obviously still in love)

1/17/07 he posts about Palo Uber and how he loves their light bar and the president of the company

1/19/07 he posts that PU's customer service stinks and he's fuming...future posts show he bought a PU scoop and antenna and they all prematurely deteriorated and was unhappy trying to contact PU's office.

10/15/2008 he posts about his experience with his dealership wanting $2000 to fix a squealing clutch and $700 to replace front brake pads and rotors.

He says "So between the $2000 warranty work, the leaking water pump at 35,000 miles, the two broken door pulls, the two broken sun visors and all the other "qwurks" I've had to put up with this car, I'm done."

11/5/2008 he posts that his 06 MCS shut off on his wife while driving home for no reason. The problem was with the fuel sensor.

3/1/2009 he posts about someone throwing a burrito at his car and damaging the drivers side headlight area.

1/1/2010 he posts that his dealer quoted him $2000 to replace SC and Water Pump at 67,500 and he is done again.

Originally Posted by DrewN
It's hard to fault someone who's actually had serious issues with the MINI for complaining, especially in the stock problems/issues forum. Let the man speak his peace.

That said, in any case it's all in the poster's perspective. He's had issues with his MINIs, he will move onto something else. Meanwhile those of us who have had positive experiences with the brand will continue to support it. The End. Unless there was something else in the post everyone else missed (?).

Old 01-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The lesson to be learned here is that the demeanor and tone of the posts you choose to make here mean a lot, especially since it's all anyone has to go on.

As jcauseyfd points out, the OP could have served himself much better by laying out a logical case for his concern with the perceived reliability of 2010 based on his research and observations, and asked the NAM collective for opinions, perspectives, etc. Goodness knows that the historical record of cold start chatter and throttle body freeze-up issues have given even this MINI fan reason to pause. Yes, I would have even been willing to wade through the semi-rant over his 1st Gen experiences if they were made in a way that somehow supported his trepidation over another purchase. But that is not the approach he chose to take.

Allowing complaining and "letting the man speak his peace" only goes so far. If it's not constructive it doesn't serve much of a purpose in this thread or forum. I don't condone someone figuratively coming into the room, farting, and then being taken aback when others react to the stink. If I found myself posting on a VW enthusiasts forum and used his words ("POS" and "garbage" and "junk") to generalize my feelings about the GTI, I'd be a fool to not expect a similar reaction and you would be too.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:56 PM
ncdave
5th Gear
I agree with the premise that most of the folks who post are by nature serious enthusists and tend to discuss the problems more than the non-issues as an "educational" tool. That being said, my '03 (97K miles) has certainly had its share of issues the highlights being the replacement of my gearbox twice (the Midlands issue is well documented), A/C compressor, window regulators, miscellaneous switches, steering column, cooling fan. Any other car would have been traded but these are too much fun. Besides, I've had enough 70's British vehicles to have an extremely high tolerance to these sort of things. It also helps that I can do most of the work myself so a Mini provides hours of weekend relaxation in your garage (once it warms up again).

Truth be known, my 1994 GMC pickup has had far more problems than my MINI and my wife's new Toyota van keeps having trim pieces fall off while you drive along so no make is immune to their own pecularities.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:57 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
The lesson to be learned here is that the demeanor and tone of the posts you choose to make here mean a lot, especially since it's all anyone has to go on.

As jcauseyfd points out, the OP could have served himself much better by laying out a logical case for his concern with the perceived reliability of 2010 based on his research and observations, and asked the NAM collective for opinions, perspectives, etc. Goodness knows that the historical record of cold start chatter and throttle body freeze-up issues have given even this MINI fan reason to pause. Yes, I would have even been willing to wade through the semi-rant over his 1st Gen experiences if they were made in a way that somehow supported his trepidation over another purchase. But that is not the approach he chose to take.

Allowing complaining and "letting the man speak his peace" only goes so far. If it's not constructive it doesn't serve much of a purpose in this thread or forum. I don't condone someone figuratively coming into the room, farting, and then being taken aback when others react to the stink. If I found myself posting on a VW enthusiasts forum and used his words ("POS" and "garbage" and "junk") to generalize my feelings about the GTI, I'd be a fool to not expect a similar reaction and you would be too.
Now that is a post that deserves an AMEN and a thank you!

And I loved the fart reference!

Old 01-06-2010, 01:59 PM
markusw
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
I don't condone someone figuratively coming into the room, farting, and then being taken aback when others react to the stink.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:21 PM
mini b
2nd Gear
Good grief, I've upset the gods of the forum. Jeezus, just delete my thread and forget the whole thing.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:57 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I want to know more about the burrito incident.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:59 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini b
Good grief, I've upset the gods of the forum. Jeezus, just delete my thread and forget the whole thing.
"The lesson to be learned here is that the demeanor and tone of the posts you choose to make here mean a lot, especially since it's all anyone has to go on."

I'd say the lesson was not learned.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:09 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow. I guess what they say about this site is true.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:27 PM
lotsie
Banned
Poco, a 03 MC Canadian spec, had issues up to 30k miles, including frozen doors handles, bad BCM, bad glovebox latch, needed a new boot latch, and the tranny needed to be swapped out because of a frozen axle seal.

Besides saving my life at 85k miles, and never leaving me stranded, this little car now has 105k miles on him. NO ISSUES in over 75k miles. Done a few mods, and take very good care of him.

His early years were in Manitoba, which means -40 temps, lots of snow, and a 100 mile a day commute.

Please don't tell me these cars are junk

Mark

Old 01-06-2010, 05:37 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by tazio

Mark

Old 01-06-2010, 05:46 PM
todoubled
3rd Gear
this car is a pain in my ***** almost once every 2 months i have to bring it to dealership fortunatly i run my own business if not i would be out of a job

Old 01-06-2010, 06:05 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by mini b
You may find more sympathy on a toyota site

Mark

Old 01-06-2010, 06:11 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Could you be more vague?

And always remember: All generalizations are false.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:55 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by minicooperwill
Could you be more vague?

And always remember: All generalizations are false.
As members of this site we are not allowed to direct others to different MINI sites. So any reference to "other" sites will have to be vague, unless you want an infraction directed at you.

Mark

Old 01-06-2010, 06:56 PM
dhabutcher
4th Gear
Mini Junk?

Being close to 40 years old and have worked on cars since i could pick up a wrench i thought i would add a few thoughts,
I am now a full certified GM And ASE master tech working 50 hour weeks in a GM dealership, I have seen alot of cars

I am replacing window regulators, power door lock/latchs, blower motors and such all the time on cars with less than 20,000 on them. In the 2 years ive been here i have changed More Duramax injectors and turbos than i want to think about, and full of transmissions and engines, all under warrenty

The dealer ship also had Jeep and dodge before last year, seen more failures with that brand than the GM stuff ( i get caught up in processing warrenty )

I drive a 2003 s, i picked it up with 52,000 on it close to 80,000 now. Only thing i have wrong with the car now is the passanger door lock power failed,

i am reminded daily HOW much better built the MINI is

Get out of your car some time go look at a Used car of any other brand with the same mileage as the mini your driving now, you might learn something about Your MINI

Old 01-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Project Mangler
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
He says "So between the $2000 warranty work, the leaking water pump at 35,000 miles, the two broken door pulls, the two broken sun visors and all the other "qwurks" I've had to put up with this car, I'm done."

1/1/2010 he posts that his dealer quoted him $2000 to replace SC and Water Pump at 67,500 and he is done again.
Didn't know you could be done twice. Nice bit of research, OG!

Old 01-06-2010, 07:31 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Nevermind.

Last edited by minicooperwill; 01-06-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ronnie948
I liked my 98 Corvette

I love my 1988 Samuari

I had a few Harly Davidson Motorcycles

Now I have a Mini Cooper

That just proves I like "JUNK"
How dare you call a Samurai junk!!?

Old 01-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Reading all the complaints about the OP venting reminds me so much of the "fanboy" routine. "How dare you talk bad about the type of car I drive?"
Who cares? Let the man rant.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:42 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Nevermind on this one too.

Last edited by minicooperwill; 01-06-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:14 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewN
It's hard to fault someone who's actually had serious issues with the MINI for complaining, especially in the stock problems/issues forum. Let the man speak his peace.

Originally Posted by Xymox
AMEN. Thank you.
+1

Old 01-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Burrito?

Old 01-07-2010, 11:23 AM
fredricopachini
Neutral
ok im just gonna cut through all of this smoke and just ask the question. why keep buying a product you call junk? Almost as if you just want some attention im sure its all over you face book.....

Quick Reply: Why are Mini Coopers still junk?