Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Intake Valve Deposits

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 12:49 PM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, Joey, I give up. What's an N14 car?

Old 10-01-2009, 12:53 PM
joey1320
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by corcoranwtnet
Okay, Joey, I give up. What's an N14 car?
Ooops sorry
the N14 is the engine code for all turbo engines. N12 is for the naturally aspirated one.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:08 PM
JohnJohn
4th Gear
Originally Posted by joey1320
There is a specific "Direct Injection and Combustion Chamber Cleaning Procedure" from MINI that we usually perform on 25-35k mile N14 cars due to the incredible amount of carbon buildup on the intake valves. The cars come in with SES light on, multiple misfires.

The process completely eliminates the low-pressure fuel pump from the equation and runs gasoline mixed 3:1 with fuel cleaner concentrate(p# 82140428376). The procedure runs for about 25min. and then we add the regular fuel cleaner(p# 82140413341) to the fueltank and provide one more bottle for the next fuel fill up, to the customer.

I would HIGHLY recomend that every N14 customer use some kind of fuel system cleaner every fourth fill-up, along with good quality fuel(shell / sunoco). It definitely helps.

Joey
BG 44k?

Old 10-01-2009, 01:14 PM
joey1320
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JohnJohn
BG 44k?

sorry but i don't understand the question

Old 10-01-2009, 01:18 PM
joey1320
4th Gear
oh sorry i didn't mentioned this - but this is not an "approved warranty repair". meaning i can't do this as a tech and expect mini to pay me. I need to first ask for authorization from the service manager before i can do the procedure.

then he has to submit the claim to mini and hopefully get paid, if he doesn't - then tough tities because i got paid for my time but he didn't. so is not an "everycar that comes in the door is gonna get the cleaning", is just on SES cars with misifire faults and 20k+ miles...

Old 10-01-2009, 01:18 PM
JohnJohn
4th Gear
I would HIGHLY recomend that every N14 customer use some kind of fuel system cleaner every fourth fill-up, along with good quality fuel(shell / sunoco). It definitely helps.

Joey
BG 44k? LINK: http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html

Old 10-01-2009, 01:22 PM
joey1320
4th Gear
that will definitely work

Old 10-02-2009, 06:18 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BG44K = liquid gold for DI/FI engines. I put it in every 7500 miles, when I can find it. it's getting hard to locate. CarQuest lost their BG franchise.

Many tune shops that advertise $39 "tuneups" actually just replace the plugs, airfilter, and dump in a can of BG44K.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:28 AM
clutchless
3rd Gear
You can order BG44K from www.carfood.net which I listed on an earlier post. Most BMW or MINI dealers will sell it. Close to $16 a can or more. I think Redline fuel system cleaner for $8 a bottle at Pep Boys probably works as well and you can afford to use it more often. Here is a link.
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=80&pcid=12

You can also use Redline in smaller amounts as preventive maintenance in every or every other tank of gas to prevent deposits. See the link.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:23 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Back to the post about the service......Joey, how will this fuel system cleaner get to the topside of the intake valve to clean them, or is this mainly a problem with the deposits on the face of the valves?

Old 10-02-2009, 09:54 AM
kris.sherry
2nd Gear
This service by the brecht mini in SD costs $240 and is not under the maintenance plan. He mentioned that he recommends all turbo minis to get the service before 30k...and mine has 21k. Should I look for the BG44k, find another service shop, or drop the money for the mini dealer service?

Old 10-02-2009, 10:05 AM
JohnJohn
4th Gear
Be cautious using the tank additives on a Mini that has some miles on it, if you have never used it before. Deposits build up in the fuel tank also and can clog filters and or pumps when they break loose.

I replaced 2 fuel filter/pumps in the tanks of my Jeeps after using them in a few tanks.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:11 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just to reiterate and stay on topic, fuel system cleaner, even the famed BG44K, is not going to clean the condensed crankcase vapors off intake valves and the ports on a direct injection engine. They will clean the face of the valve, but not the backside.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:10 AM
joey1320
4th Gear
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
Just to reiterate and stay on topic, fuel system cleaner, even the famed BG44K, is not going to clean the condensed crankcase vapors off intake valves and the ports on a direct injection engine. They will clean the face of the valve, but not the backside.

actually the mixture will be present when the intake valves are opening - therefor some of it has got to get to the top side of the valves and the valve seats. just because the gas is not runing down the intake manifold doesn't mean the is not gonna work. the whole combustion chamber will be exposed to the air/fuel mix - so why do you thinkis not gonna work?

i have seen, with my own eyes(i hate this expression) chunks of carbon buildup on the top side of the intake valves - an incredible amount of crap... something i have never seen before on any other brandname i've worked on.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:15 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
I just purchased the M7 Catch Can and will be cleaning the intake with Sea Foam in the very near future. I plan on tapping the boost line I added for the boost gauge to get the Sea Foam into the intake.

Originally Posted by countryboyshane
The biggest source of deposits on our intake valves is from the crankcase vapors from the PCV tube. You can minimize the vapor by using a catch can but the only one made right now is from M7, and you have to remove the intake siphon tube to install it. Kind of ridiculous if you asked me.

The only viable solution seems to be pouring some Sea Foam through the PCV tube and of course following Sea Foam's directions. Who wants to try it first on an R56 LOL!

Last edited by scottab36; 10-13-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
actually the mixture will be present when the intake valves are opening - therefor some of it has got to get to the top side of the valves and the valve seats. just because the gas is not runing down the intake manifold doesn't mean the is not gonna work. the whole combustion chamber will be exposed to the air/fuel mix - so why do you thinkis not gonna work?
I would think that when the intake valves are open there would be air flowing into the combustion chamber. For any fuel (in the air mixture) to come in contact with the back of the valve would require some backflow, wouldn't it? Seems that if there was any contact, it would be minimal. That's how it seems to me. Reality may be different than I imagine.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:54 PM
gregsmini
4th Gear
I find this to be a very interesting thread. What I'm hearing said is that the build up on the intake valves is from oil vapors that are introduced from the PVC. I'm also hearing that installing an oil catch can would reduce the amount of oil vapors being introduced into the intake manifold which would diminish the build up on the intake valves. I am understanding this correctly?

Oops : PCV

Last edited by gregsmini; 10-05-2009 at 04:20 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:42 PM
jaxson
1st Gear
hmmm....

Old 10-05-2009, 03:41 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
You are correct.

Originally Posted by gregsmini
I find this to be a very interesting thread. What I'm hearing said is that the build up on the intake valves is from oil vapors that are introduced from the PVC. I'm also hearing that installing an oil catch can would reduce the amount of oil vapors being introduced into the intake manifold which would diminish the build up on the intake valves. I am understanding this correctly?

Old 10-05-2009, 05:01 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear

i have seen, with my own eyes(i hate this expression) chunks of carbon buildup on the top side of the intake valves - an incredible amount of crap... something i have never seen before on any other brandname i've worked on.
If any of the fuel hits the backside of the intake valve it would be a absolutely minimal and better described as an insignificant amount to clean the deposits. Dumping loads of fuel system cleaner like what's been described just seems like a, "I'm gonna make this work with brute force and hope all goes well" method. If one can get a cleaner to flow with high velocity through the intake ports and across the intake valves (just like a manifold injection system) that will clearly be the best method. Seafoam through the brake booster seems to be the winner so far.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:43 AM
newbs49
Banned
As countryboyshane has said, nothing is going to clean the valves on direct injection. MINI is working on a fix from what I hear. The same problem is showing up on the BMW's and they are keeping it under wraps till they find a fix. Car's that see the track seem to have less prolems with deposits.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:03 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Well if nobody does it by April 2010 (spring clean and will be around 25K miles), I'm going to be the first to try Seafoam through my brake booster line. I hope somebody else does it by then just so I know how much smoke I'm going to add to my quiet neighborhood LOL!

Old 10-05-2009, 07:24 AM
newbs49
Banned
Call the EPA

Old 10-05-2009, 09:41 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Can we just go back to dumping the vapors on the road just like the good ole days

Old 10-05-2009, 10:19 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by newbs49
As countryboyshane has said, nothing is going to clean the valves on direct injection. MINI is working on a fix from what I hear. The same problem is showing up on the BMW's and they are keeping it under wraps till they find a fix. Car's that see the track seem to have less prolems with deposits.
Yea, Audi is having a big problem with carbon deposits on their DI motors also.

Even on their NA motors, like the RS4 are having issues...so I don't see why an oil catch can is going to help. It's a problem with direct injection motors in general...the intake valves do not get the benefit of being cooled/cleaned from the incoming fuel charge, thus resulting in a build up of carbon. The design of a direct injection motor coupled with crappy North American gas is the reason you are seeing this problem.

Also, as it's been said, cars that are driven hard see less of the problem. Water/Meth injection will help this too.

Here is a picture of some nasty carbon deposits from a Cayenne:

ICK.

Quick Reply: Intake Valve Deposits