Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Another Engine Noise Thread Knocking?? Sigh..(sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 08:26 PM
minjae
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
but on a completely different side note..
i wish i was able to get my car detailed from you Richard!!
you dont happen to be coming to the md/dc area by chance?

Old 09-13-2009, 08:01 AM
orcadog
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Some Guy
Dont get to paranoid orcadog. A bad chain tensioner (one that has completely gone) is going to be making a lot of noise. That said, these engines arent that quite when idling, I once left the hood open and came back and thought I had a diesel.
This post has been a learning experience in so many ways for me...most of which are completely OT!
Like this...I just learned to do multiple "quotes"- fantastic!
Back on-Topic- Yes,Some Guy, I think you are absolutely right, I've talked with some others, and also my dad who has an '04 JCW and they seem to make the same noises. So you've got me feeling positive again!
I've just got that "new father" syndrome!

Originally Posted by minjae
and to orcadog..yeah cars get loud eventually....its my mini and i want it as perfect as can be
AMEN! I feel ya. I've been going over mine each day since I got it to make sure everything is in spec. Yesterday I was under the car removing whatever little bit of surface rust I saw from the chassis and hitting it with Rustoleum.

Seriously though, thanks for starting the thread and posting all the vids. They were a big help!

Old 09-13-2009, 02:58 PM
minjae
6th Gear
not a problem!! im thankful for all the helpful people out there as well..as i dont know wat most of us would be doing without their help

but i recently ordered a 2% m7 crank pulley..so i'll be changing that in..hopefully that'll rid of some noise im hearing..
and im gonna go make an appt at the dealer with a loaner..so i probably wont be able to get anything checked/fixed until a while..
so i guess i'll be making updates whenever something comes up for my own use (logging) and as well as helpful info to others (hopefully)

thanks again guys!! (for now.. )

Old 09-29-2009, 07:01 AM
minjae
6th Gear
so i took my car to the dealer today (finally..!!)
i'll update once i find out wat was the cause or wat was wrong with it just in general

Old 10-01-2009, 12:25 PM
minjae
6th Gear
So the dealer called me back and said that the reason for all my problems is because of my belt tensioner and the fact i havent tuned my car yet.
so they already replaced my belt tensioner, and told me to get my car tuned asap
i guess we'll see once i get my car back tomorrow!
hopefully everything is perfect
i'll update again tomorrow!

Old 10-01-2009, 04:07 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the update on the noise.
I sure do not know why the tune would have anything to do with the belt tensioner failing.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:16 PM
minjae
6th Gear
another update!!

the dealer called me right before i picked up my mini, that they also had to replace the timing chain tensioner..they said it had too much slack.
and also, i decided to pop open the hood and take a look in the engine, and to my surprise..
they didnt push in all the wires all the way in..2 of the wires that attach to the spark plug, and another 2 that plugs into the ignition coil
which then led to me check the torque on the spark plugs..they were off..
so i re-torqued them to about 24
the engine also still makes a slight ticking noise still..now coming from somewhere else..

i'm getting my car tuned on tuesday (giac tune), and i guess we'll see how it goes..hopefully some engine noise goes away..which i doubt..
if it doesnt go away..another trip to the dealer..*sigh*

Old 10-16-2009, 09:34 PM
ZippeeGear
Former Vendor
I have a really bad hesitation when I accelerate, but only when the temp outside is hotter than 70 degrees. Does anyone have advice on this issue?

Old 11-09-2009, 10:49 AM
DaveVT02S
4th Gear
Hi all - seems I've got a similar noise to OP - this morning I go out to start the MINI and I've now got a similar LOUD rapid knocking noise (like a substantial piece of plastic on metal, not metallic) - IIRC had it once before this summer, but (then) shut off car and restarted: poof! gone!, but now it won't go away or quiet down...

History:
> '02 MCS, 68k - bought used 25 mos ago w/ 45k
> installed 15% pulley and smaller belt early summer '08
> have done 6 track days (time trial, max 80mph) and 4 AutoX's since then - no issues (well, traction, but that's off-topic)
> changed belt ~2 mos./2k miles ago; IIRC noted a touch of play in the tensioner and idler pulleys, but unsure what might be 'normal', so let it go
> when I changed the belt I managed to break the "holdback strap" in the center of the tensioner spring - untouched (figured I'd leave it until next belt change)
> car hadn't been started in 2 days (same as previous incident) - and I ALWAYS let the car warm up (at least 'til the temp needle moves) before driving

This morning I've done the following "diagnostics":
> read several threads here (this noise is the closest to mine)
> noise is coming from the 'pulleys area' of the engine - used the old tube-to-ear to try to narrow down source - not from valve cover or head of supercharger (whew, maybe) - also is farther back in car than A/C compressor
> engine shakes rhythmically with the noise - actually more the intercooler stuff than the entire engine
> checked the belt, s/c pulley and tensioner pulley, nothing out of the ordinary while idling (of course under tension)
> the balancer/damper does seem to be moving in and out slightly (~1/8"), also rhythmically, but diff rhythm than noise, and slower than it's turning (not bent)
> drove car to bank and back - normal village driving - shut off car at drive-thru, loud when I pulled up, mainly because of sound bouncing off wall (embarassing), just as loud when I restarted - not noticable to me when driving, but that could be because of the intake, exhaust and wind noise (window down / sunroof open - at least it's 65 here in VT today!)

So I'm gonna go try the "remove belt and let it run a moment", as well as to check the pulleys with no tension, and inspect the belt, but before I do is there something specific I should be checking for besides stuff mentioned in this and other threads? (tensioner pulley, idler pulley, balancer) Mainly asking because with the tensioner 'holdback' broken it's gonna be a PITA and prefer to just pull the belt off once , and because it's my only vehicle...

Remember, this was a "sudden onset" problem - THX in advance!

Old 11-13-2009, 07:39 PM
minjae
6th Gear
hrmm..i honestly don't know wat yours could be..O.O
maybe post a vid to see exactly how it sounds

i took my car to the dealer after i got my car tuned..and wat do you know..same noises..sigh

they did replace some supercharger pipe gasket? oil pan gasket or something..i forgot
i'm still hearing the same noises..so another trip to the dealer i go!

but definitely try to post a vid DaveVT02S!!

Old 11-14-2009, 04:17 PM
DaveVT02S
4th Gear
I shot a quick vid, but the noise was quieter and the rest of the 'symphony' from under the hood kinda interfered with hearing it, so - meh.

On the other hand, I've since removed and disassembled the tensioner - after I got the belt off I tried the "start it up and let it run for a few seconds" thing: quiet as a sewing machine! (Whew!!) So, it's external; also removed and inspected the idler pulley (hey, it's not internal, start with the cheapest parts, right? ). Both the pulleys don't wobble or rattle - to my senses, anyway - but they do 'jingle' slightly when shaken close to my ear. Don't know if that's good or bad, but a chain parts store has the idler in stock, $15 (!) and I'm gonna ask them to also look for one identical except 65mm instead of 70 for the tensioner, and see what happens (where'd I put my AAA card? ).

I think the source, though, is the tensioner damper - it seems to have almost NO resistance to in/out movements, BUT when 'bottomed' while attached to bracket makes an astonishing similar sound to what I was hearing. www search hasn't turned up a damper yet, but I'm going to re-assemble everything and research further. The bushings are intact, btw...

Took the time to do some corrosion removal on the tensioner, which almost became a polish (not a polish, but it's closer) and coated the spring red while I was at it - gotta do something every once in a while just for looks, you know?

In the meantime, if anyone has a source for the damper, please let me (us) know?

Old 11-16-2009, 07:19 AM
DaveVT02S
4th Gear
Here's a video clip of the noise - but first (while it's processing):

I've reassembled the tensioner, but before installing it and the belt I was able to 'wrap' the belt around a few pulleys to try some test turns (put it around the pulley and pull back and forth as rapidly and w/ as much pull/force as possible to check for abnormalities. The supercharger seems tight, slight click when changing direction (on the back and forth), the a/c compressor (clutch) seems fine (?), but the alternator seems really stiff. I also tried to 'man-handle' the damper to check for play, none detected.

On w/ the show:
(EDIT: the end of my post keeps cutting off - will try to embed below)

Additionally, when I turn my head sideways (left ear facing the ground) and stick my nose close to the body-structure extension, the noise is definitely coming from under that structure member - this would seem to tell me it's one of the lower ancilliary units.

Also made an errand run late in the afternoon (~5 miles total); noise just as loud when I was done as when I started (my neighbor sez it sounds like a p*ssed-off popcorn popper). I did really get on it as I got close to home - if it's gonna break I hope it breaks where I can coast into the driveway - and there is no loss of power. The noise does get faster w/ engine speed, and doesn't seem to get any louder, but at heavier throttle the scream from the CAI drowns it out, so ???...

Old 11-16-2009, 07:20 AM
DaveVT02S
4th Gear

Well, let's try a link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYR3YiVhVDI

As you watch notice the 'bounce' of the tensioner.

I did the screwdriver-to-ear thing, and I only noticed the "clacking" (vibration) on the alternator, everything else seemed to have a regular/smooth 'thrum' to it. May pull it off and run over to chain-parts-store to have it checked - unless something pops up here first :dunno:

Last edited by DaveVT02S; 11-16-2009 at 07:42 AM. Reason: link keeps breaking
Old 11-17-2009, 05:55 AM
MRE7986
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minjae
i guess that's true..i still love driving my mini..its just i guess im just over worrying? cause it's more that..i'd rather fix something before it breaks only cause im always short on money..
but i dont think i mentioned it..that it only made the sound after the car was sitting for a couple of hours and then i started the car..(cold start?)
so i didnt even have time to press in the clutch or press on the gas..i did look at the youtube vids that were up..it seems like it would def be the timing chain tensioner? i guess i'll go bug the dealer in getting it fixed..
i am only 7k away from 50k..

hopefully its not my supercharger at all and hopefully the dealer can duplicate the noise..therefore able to replace wat needs to be replaced..

gotta call them first thing monday morning to make an appointment..i gotta get a loaner tho..

also!!..probably either monday or tuesday i'll be changing out my spark plug and spark plug wires with brisk 12's and kingsborn wires!! maybe that might help a tad with anything? who knows?

That is definitly the chain tensioner, I have had about 6 done to my car. My car for some reason keeps having this problem. One thing I notice is if you dont check your oil level enough it will fail sooner. It runs off of the oil pressure and if the pressure is not good enough that noise will start and once it happens once it happens more frequently until it completely fails like yours. If you notice when you are driveing on the highway or have the rpms over 3000 it goes away. For future referance there is a two year warranty on the part and labor even after the standard 50000 mile warranty. Keep a listen for it, but my car is the only problematick car that goes through these things like gas so dont worry.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:02 AM
MRE7986
2nd Gear
Also I forgot the part takes like 10 mins to replace, the longest part of replacing it is letting the car cool down so you dont burn your hand and is only like $50 so dont get beat up at the dealer when they say it took them 3 hours.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:41 PM
DaveVT02S
4th Gear
Got it - Alternator. Rear bearing/bushing went bad...

It finally got to a point where something was "freezing up", so I sucked it up and took the front end apart. Far enough into it (had the MFE loose) I could finally put my hand on the pulley w/ enough force to turn it; felt the 'bind' and - out it came. Twisted it again, checking the bind while in my hands - what the ???

30+ years I've been playing with cars, and I've never seen a case this cracked, short of a major collision (so much for the core charge ) the front half of the case is literally 3/8" from being 2 pieces...

So while I wait for the new (used) one, might as well do the supercharger oil thing - enough of a scare for me ...