Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

How do you lube the chassis?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 07:07 PM
jmoser
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you lube the chassis?

I've done a search and I'm still in the dark

My 02 has a lot of squeaks and creaks going over speed bumps etc
Tire guy says tires are wearing very evenly, he doesn't think my struts need replacing (thats what I thought it was)
Someone else reccomended I need to lube the chassis, suspension, whatever it is you usually lube (do it on my truck, tractor, lawn mower etc)

It isn't even listed as a procedure in my Bentleys!
What gives? I haven't just jacked it up looking for zerks, figured I'd read up on what I should find so I wouldn't miss any...

what gives?

Old 03-29-2009, 07:57 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't think there are any Zerk fittings anywhere on the car. I guess you could still disassemble the sway bar bushing brackets and control arm bushings and lube them manually, though. But, there are no guarantees that's where your squeaks are coming from.

I think they're the most likely candidates, though - that's why I went with an aftermarket sway bar and control arms that do have Zerk fittings.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:29 PM
jmoser
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aiyy...I installed the Alta rear swaybar... IIRC, I have to loosen it or something and lube in the brackets or something...Ill have to look itup...

Since my tires are wearing so evenly, and so well, (and they are due to be replaced) is it possible there are still other parts of my suspension that woud need replacement?

I'll get to the swaybar soon, and see what difference that makes...no zerks, egad! oh well, car is in garage since I found out I have to buy only ONE kind of PS fluid...
This car is quirkier than anything I've ever driven....and I love it the most.
Good thing...

Old 03-29-2009, 09:59 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Go for the sway bar first. Mine just started squeeking after ~3 years. Lubed up the bushings and now all is quiet. There certainly can be other culprits, but I'd start there. (And yes, as I struggled to lube it given the tiny bit of clearance, I was wishing for a zerk.)

Old 03-29-2009, 10:50 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Pretty much every modern car has no grease points anywhere. Automakers are trying to make car ownership easier without a care for the long term use of the car.

My guess is that the squeaks are from the rear control arms. Get some spray lube (not WD40) and spray the mounts and bushings on both ends of all 4 control arms.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:58 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
submerge entire car in oil, pull out and mail back to bmw with a big sloppy kiss .

Old 03-30-2009, 05:37 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jmoser
......oh well, car is in garage since I found out I have to buy only ONE kind of PS fluid...
Good thing...
I found a good deal P/S fluid on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentosin-CHF-11S...2em118Q2el1247

Old 04-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Grassroots Garage
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HalAC
I found a good deal P/S fluid on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentosin-CHF-11S...2em118Q2el1247
That is not such a good deal..as $24.95 is the retail price, plus you're paying shipping. You should find a good import specailty parts store (there are still a few of these left, or a European specialty shop in your area). They would be happy to sell a bottle to you over the counter.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jmoser
Aiyy...I installed the Alta rear swaybar... IIRC, I have to loosen it or something and lube in the brackets or something...Ill have to look itup...

Since my tires are wearing so evenly, and so well, (and they are due to be replaced) is it possible there are still other parts of my suspension that woud need replacement?

I'll get to the swaybar soon, and see what difference that makes...no zerks, egad! oh well, car is in garage since I found out I have to buy only ONE kind of PS fluid...

Good thing...
You would have to raise the car and check all the bushings, linkages, boots to see if anything needs replacement or adjustment.

Synthetic hydraulic fluid (ie Pentosin CHF-11S) has been around for a long time. VW has been using it over a decade.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:24 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Grassroots Garage
That is not such a good deal..as $24.95 is the retail price, plus you're paying shipping. You should find a good import specialty parts store (there are still a few of these left, or a European specialty shop in your area). They would be happy to sell a bottle to you over the counter.
Unfortunately the only place I could find it was at the MINI dealer in Nashville. They wanted $39.95 plus tax. None of the regular auto parts stores in my area even stocks the stuff.