Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Windows rolling down on their own(???)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 10:30 AM
dajiggalo
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windows rolling down on their own(???)

This morning (more like 1:00 AM to be exact, yes I work 3rd shift) I went to my car to drop something off, when I noticed this very bizarre occurrence... Both doors were closed but the windows were rolled all the way down!!! I never have the windows rolled down during winter season (duh!). My office is located on the 3rd floor, overlooking the parking lot where I can EASILY see anybody that is trying to mess with my car (besides, I'm the only on the premises that drives a MINI, and nothing was stolen!).
Needless to say, I immediately started up the car and tried rolling the windows up! The drivers side (door open) rolled all the way up fine, but slightly sluggishly. The passenger side window (door closed the entire time) refused to roll up all the way. It would constantly roll back down whenever I tried to move it up all the way!?! i opened and shut the passenger side door and tried again, but the result was the same. Finally I left the passenger door open and flipped the switch, and finally it rolled all the way up!
Has this happened to anyone else????? I'm beginning to think that my car is alive, or malfunctioning in a very strange way! I'll be taking in to the dealer when I get a free moment.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:53 AM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Did you accidentally hold the unlock button on your remote - that would cause the windows to go down on their own.

You got me on the windows not rolling up...

Old 12-19-2008, 11:06 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A similar thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Came home with the windows up, got out, locked it (pretty sure), and went inside. When I came out of the house to go to work the next day, both windows were fully down and the car was unlocked. It's conceivable that somehow I pressed on the unlock button in my pants pocket before I took it out for the night....or just a weird electrical gremlin (which is not unheard of in German/British cars).

Old 12-19-2008, 01:03 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
one time a homeless good samaritan was guarding my car for hours at work because the passenger window was all the way down.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:25 PM
jcap287
School away from MINI
This happened to me on my 2003 mc a couple times (the window not rolling back up, but I never had a window roll down on its own) I just kept trying to get the window back up and eventually it did.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:51 PM
minimalistic
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by lacning74
one time a homeless good samaritan was guarding my car for hours at work because the passenger window was all the way down.
I hope his work was well paid.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:55 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minimalistic
I hope his work was well paid.
more than i pay my babysitter.

The following users liked this post:
Andy_S (07-17-2019)
Old 12-19-2008, 02:40 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lacning74
did you arrive to find him squatting in your vehicle?

Old 12-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Sketch
5th Gear
Thats weird!! Good luck getting it fixed.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
I had a similar problem, the dealer did a software upgraded and the windows have worked since (but they also worked before).

To temporarily fix things, try hitting the door between the handle and the tweeter.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:21 AM
dajiggalo
3rd Gear
It happened again last night, except they didn't roll down all the way. I definitely didn't hold down the unlock button. I pressed lock once when I left the vehicle and I checked on it every couple of hours, but when the temperature dropped, it happened again. Windows once again wouldn't go up all the way. Drove home with a very chilly breeze (and a lot of noise). When the car was warmed up though, the windows finally made it all the way up (???). I'm taking it in to the dealer today.
So, for all of you R56 owners who live in colder climates, beware!!!!

Old 12-20-2008, 09:54 AM
jaxsngrl
2nd Gear
I've been having window issues as soon as the temps dropped to super low temps. (so cold that the window sounds frozen when it drops every time you open the door) I've been posting some stories/updates in the Clubman Forum because when I did a search on window problems, that is where it took me.

I heard 2 stories at my dealer when I was just in of people (in the Chicagoland area) who had the same problem as you. Both people had their windows and sunroof open on them when they parked it for the night. Unfortunately, one guy had to get his car towed because it poured rain all night and the entire inside of his car was flooded.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:18 AM
dajiggalo
3rd Gear
I can put up with the squeaks and groans from the car (for a little bit), but this is ridiculous. Anybody have the number for MINI USA customer service??? With windows magically rolling down when the temp drops, rain, snow, etc will probably ruin your interior, make it tempting for theives, possiblly make it inoperable.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:46 PM
MINIFINIMAN
Former Vendor
We had a similar occurance yesterday with our R56. my wife parked the car at the shop and even went out about an hour later and the windows were still up. She then went out to pick up our lunch and the windows had rolled
down all the way by themselves. She then after leaving work stopped in a shopping plaza and it happened again this time she had left her laptop bag in the front seat(not recommended if you still want to have a window left to roll
up). so she called the dealer..no answer..called MINI roadside transferred to a dealership out west...no reply. I've tried our local dealer several times and
the phone just rings and goes to vm. Oh well sounds like its going to be a
monday issue and since we're due for a nice dose of winter this weekend
I'll throw a tarp over it when parked for insurance.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:18 AM
dajiggalo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIFINIMAN
We had a similar occurance yesterday with our R56. my wife parked the car at the shop and even went out about an hour later and the windows were still up. She then went out to pick up our lunch and the windows had rolled
down all the way by themselves. She then after leaving work stopped in a shopping plaza and it happened again this time she had left her laptop bag in the front seat(not recommended if you still want to have a window left to roll
up). so she called the dealer..no answer..called MINI roadside transferred to a dealership out west...no reply. I've tried our local dealer several times and
the phone just rings and goes to vm. Oh well sounds like its going to be a
monday issue and since we're due for a nice dose of winter this weekend
I'll throw a tarp over it when parked for insurance.
I tried calling MAG yesterday, and nobody answered the phone... so I went ahead and drove down there... they were pretty busy. They did offer to update the programming but I would have to wait a few hours. I had to go to work soon so I requested to leave the car overnight a take a loaner. They shot me down right there stating that they had none available, but if I called ahead of time, they could have secured one for me (but nobody picks up the damn phone!!!).... I was pissed off to say the least because my previous experience with their service department had been excellent. I made an appointment Monday... they had better fix this or I will give both MAG and MINI USA a lot of hell!!!

Old 12-21-2008, 08:10 AM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
My windows has an issue rolling up yesterday - I think it was due to the track at the top being frozen...I rolled the window all the way up and it came back down halfway a few times...eventually I got it to stay....

that is also on the same side of the car that wouldn't open due to frozen rain in the door track.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:26 PM
jaxsngrl
2nd Gear
My car has now been at the dealer for 9 days. My dealer was told from MINI to order a new motor and it took a few days to come in. They installed it and it was done yesterday (Saturday) morning. My advisor called to tell me it was ready and had been working perfectly. He gave me a choice- pick it up or leave it till Monday so they could contine testing it throughout the day on Saturday and Monday morning. I told them to please put it outside (I hated to do that since Chicago has -0 temps right now) but I figured that they should test it when the car is nice and cold (and frozen!). Hopefully it is fixed and hopefully there will be no problems with the new motor.

Now, they only replaced the driver motor. I haven't had problems with the passenger window but then again, the door isn't opened nearly as often. If this is a motor issue, I'm wondering if I should request a motor change in the passenger window as well before a possible problem happens? Can I do that?

Old 12-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Coopaw
2nd Gear
I had this problem with my R56 about a year ago. The problem ended up being a faulty microswitch in the drivers door. This problem has also be attributed to water getting in the door.

Good luck

Old 12-22-2008, 01:45 PM
jaxsngrl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Coopaw
I had this problem with my R56 about a year ago. The problem ended up being a faulty microswitch in the drivers door. This problem has also be attributed to water getting in the door.

Good luck

Yeah, my advisor told me that when its in the garage and then outside in the extreme cold temps, there is a condensation build up in the door that has been causing the problems.

I got my car back today with a new and improved motor in the driver door. So far so good (it was done on Saturday and my advisor has personally been testing it at the dealer through this morning) I asked him if this was something I had to worry about in the passenger side. He said that all the problems they have been getting has been in the driver side and probably not.

Well wouldn't you know it, I get home and decided to fart around with both windows again (just to make sure- I'm **** like that ) and the fricken passenger window would drop normally when the door was opened but wouldn't seal up when the door was closed. I had to put the key in the ignition and roll the window up that extra 1/2 inch with the butoon.

I didn't even bother calling my dealer back yet. The window's up, its not a major problem. I just want my MINI for Christmas- I'm sick of driving loaners. I figure I'll use this time until after Christmas to make sure my window is working properly before calling about the passenger side now.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:01 AM
dajiggalo
3rd Gear
MAG fixed it yesterday. I can drive my car again (yay!) By the way, this window problem is covered under a TSB, so mention this to your service advisor the next time you get your R56 serviced.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:26 PM
jaxsngrl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dajiggalo
MAG fixed it yesterday. I can drive my car again (yay!) By the way, this window problem is covered under a TSB, so mention this to your service advisor the next time you get your R56 serviced.
TSB?

p.s.- And so far, lots of cold temps and lots of snow here in Chicago and the driver window working great!!! (I'm knocking on wood...)

Old 12-23-2008, 02:54 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Technical Service Bull.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:52 PM
SkyWriter
1st Gear
My '09 MCS (only three weeks old) windows lowered themselves overnight on Wednesday, 12/24. It had been raining here since mid-day on 12/23. The interior of the car was completely soaked. MAG Cars diagnosed the problem as a wet sensor in the driver's door handle. They are in the process of drying the car, carpet, and the electronics, along with replacing the door handle. If the cars cannot stand to be rained on, then MINI should not sell them in the US.

Old 12-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyWriter
If the cars cannot stand to be rained on, then MINI should not sell them in the US.
Well it's quite rainy and damp in Britain so it shouldn't happen at all... We had a week of heavy rains 2 weeks ago and had a total of 11 inches in a 24 hour period but my Mini did well in the heavy rain; just sitting there and driving. When I know it's going to rain really hard I take my Jeep but this time I was caught of guard. Anyway, sorry to hear about your wet Mini, hope they get it back to normal for you!

Old 12-26-2008, 12:50 PM
dajiggalo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SkyWriter
My '09 MCS (only three weeks old) windows lowered themselves overnight on Wednesday, 12/24. It had been raining here since mid-day on 12/23. The interior of the car was completely soaked. MAG Cars diagnosed the problem as a wet sensor in the driver's door handle. They are in the process of drying the car, carpet, and the electronics, along with replacing the door handle. If the cars cannot stand to be rained on, then MINI should not sell them in the US.
I feel your pain, but MINI (AKA BMW North America) is reluctant to put out a recall. At least MAG (Midwestern Auto Group in Columbus, OH) has Sam Meyers as service advisor. He's done an outstanding job with my car whenever she needed to get fixed.

Quick Reply: Windows rolling down on their own(???)