Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Third brake light/boot washer

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 07:09 PM
SB
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Third brake light/boot washer

I don't know if this is a strange coincidence or what. Yesterday I came out of work and my third brake light was lite. After finally switching on the ignition and depressing the brake pedal several times the light shut off. I had the BC module replaced earlier this year because of a stuck left brake light but only the third light was lite this time and it finally went off unlike the past time.

What is odd though is the boot glass washer. It doesn't work and I noticed it a few weeks ago but never put much into it as I forgot about it until yesterday. There is fluid in the reservoir and I can hear the motor running when trying to wash the boot. The wiper works fine as well as the windshield and headlight washers.

What I am looking for is could the washer hose going to the boot pass through a place where maybe it could have burst and is causing harm? I've looked in my Bentley manual but can't find anything about the routing of the hose. Does anyone have any knowledge as to where this hose is routed? I'm curious if fluid is being pumped but dumped somewhere within the body. The boot and headliner area is dry. I haven't noticed any fluid in the passenger floor which may have crossed the BC module either.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:45 PM
shorn
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just repaired my boot window washer today. I suspected a clogged nozzle and I was right. But it took longer than I thought to unclog it. Since the nozzle's orifice is small and can clog easily, I suspect that is your problem rather than a kinked line. Presumably your front washers work, so you have fluid and the pump works. As it turns out, clearing a clog is easy. The nozzle (the little black round top piece on the base of the wiper arm) pries out of the arm. I used a razor blade (single edge) to get under the nozzle; between it and the arm base. Then it just pops out. Blow it out with air or fish a very fine wire through it. While you're at it, snap up the cover of the arm base; it just pivots up. That will allow you to access the shaft drive. The shaft is hollow. While its uncovered, operate the squirter to see if fluid shoots across the garage floor. If it doesn't, you have other problems. If its good though, Remove the arm (14mm wrench as I recall) and check the inside of arm base. There is a female fitting that the shaft snaps into. In that fitting is an o-ring seal. Make sure that this portion of the washer assembly is not clogged too.
Hope this helps.