Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

I'm starting to think these cars are pieces of crap

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Shutterbug
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blainestang,
Good points. Still, the hoodscoop issue shouldn't cause folks to assert that MINI's are crap. My '07 Just-a-Cooper has been the most trouble free car I have owned. My previous cars were: '84 BMW 528e, '94 C280 MB, '96 C280 MB, '05 C230 Kompressor MB, '06 BMW 328.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Shutterbug
Blainestang,
Good points. Still, the hoodscoop issue shouldn't cause folks to assert that MINI's are crap. My '07 Just-a-Cooper has been the most trouble free car I have owned. My previous cars were: '84 BMW 528e, '94 C280 MB, '96 C280 MB, '05 C230 Kompressor MB, '06 BMW 328.
Yeah, I agree... the scoop problem is not THAT big of a deal in and of itself. It's merely cosmetic and *most* people would never notice.

That being said, I think the real problem is that MINI hasn't come up with a solution. I have a feeling that they won't, because if they offer a solution for this *relatively* minor problem to the small percentage of people who know/care, then they're going to have to fix it on all the cars owned by people who never would have noticed or cared until they announced "the fix".

It's sort of like the whole mushrooming problem on the 1st Gens (except that was much more serious). They can't fix any, because that would be admitting that it's their fault and then they have to replace the STRUT TOWERS on thousands and thousands of MINI's... not going to happen. They'll take the hit of a few people being upset about it over the cost/publicity/risk of a full-blown recall.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:48 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Is there a safety component to when a a manufacturer issues a "recall"? Maybe since the hood scoop is not functionally failing, they may feel a recall is not warranted. I did choose to go with the carbon fiber to try to avoid this issue, and so far I do not have any complaints. I check the scoop pretty much every day, I know this is just my fourth month, but since this issue keeps perking up I keep monitoring the scoop!

I did pretty much load up our Hilla with options and I am half way expecting that something may eventually pop up with the - electrical, navigation and or computor systems. Can't say anything has, but I read the threads and try to check if Hilla has any of the symptoms or not.

My previous car purchase was 13 years ago - a Ford. I had problems and issues with the car quality within the first couple of weeks. A transmission shifter issue within the first year. Loose interior panels and brake problems. The brake problems went away after I started to work on the car. The interior problems never went away, the panels are poor quality and the connectors poorly excecuted. Years later I removed the panels and noticed how the connectors were damaged and some broken. Since the panels were loose after several weeks I don't know if this was a factory or a dealer inflicted issue. In retrospect I should have removed the panels myself to check, but I didn't want to possibly void my warranty. The dealer even claimed they replaced the panels for me twice!

I'll start to do repairs myself after Hilla's warranty expires - and any work that is done now I will check right away to see if it is okay! My expectations on cars in general is that problems will occur no matter how good the car is designed or built. My selection of our JCW was based on performance, handling and economy - oh, and my wife's first comment when we first started to think about a replacement for our previous car - "What's that car? It's cute!!" No complaints on my criteria or my wife's!!

Okay, so to sum up my long winded comment - cars will have problems even good ones, so keep an eye out for potential problems and work with the dealer to resolve them. But, on some issues don't expect perfection.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:25 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sikamini
But, on some issues don't expect perfection.

I think a working sunroof isn't expecting perfection, just normal operation for a product sold.

Mark

Old 12-11-2008, 09:12 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
I think a working sunroof isn't expecting perfection, just normal operation for a product sold.

Mark
Like I said - don't expect perfection - I didn't say non functional. Work with MINI, my advice is done!

Happy motoring!!

Old 12-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Ian Venieri
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sikamini
Is there a safety component to when a a manufacturer issues a "recall"? Maybe since the hood scoop is not functionally failing, they may feel a recall is not warranted. I did choose to go with the carbon fiber to try to avoid this issue, and so far I do not have any complaints.
Ford and GM have both gone through very expensive recalls on yellowing clear coat paints. Ford and GM consumer groups are very active and have historically served those owners well.

Many posters report that the carbon fiber scoop warps as well. It is a resin and not a fiber issue.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:34 PM
accel
2nd Gear
I wonder if the fix is to just put a metal plate over the scoop. Chrome or body color painted.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:50 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
I just gave up... I've got too much going on in my life to worry about a car.

Thanks to Mini, I've lost my enthusiasm about driving a mini, just it's just a car that sits in my garage. I put 18000 miles on Ernie in less than 5 months and now that it's cold and I can hear that STUPID rattle in the engine for the first mile or so, it disgusts me so the car just sits there. I'll start driving it when the weather is warmer.

So, I'm back to driving my H2.... I may not get the gas mileage but at least either one of my H2's never gave me the "quirks" that go along with driving a mini.

Thanks Mini for your concern about quality.

Mark

PS. My annoyance with my mini isn't that the car is a piece of crap as far as a driving car. The car is a blast and mechanically runs great. My annoyance are the "quirks" we are expected to live with for a $30+K price tag that is common in almost any mini that is on the road. (ie. sunroof not working, valvetrain rattling like a diesel, melting sunroofs)

At 46 years old, I've been through my share of cars, I have 5 now and not one car I have ever owned has "quirks" that I'm expected to live with. The fact that a manufacturer like BMW can't (or won't) fix a sunroof to work correctly is mind boggling. I'm half tempted to start a class action lawsuit. There's too many people that have this problem.

Last edited by orangecrush; 01-18-2009 at 04:57 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:17 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sell it!!

Problem solved.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:47 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Sell it. Cut your losses. You hate the car way too much already.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:06 AM
miniguy5
4th Gear
I have a 2001 Honda Accord. I've never had any problems with it ever, zilch zero nadda. Yet when I go on the honda forums all I read about is problems people have with Honda Accords and how bad they are. Just a little perspective.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:15 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PatM
Sell it!!

Problem solved.
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
Originally Posted by miniguy5
I have a 2001 Honda Accord. I've never had any problems with it ever, zilch zero nadda. Yet when I go on the honda forums all I read about is problems people have with Honda Accords and how bad they are. Just a little perspective.
There's a lot of truth in all of the above!

Old 01-18-2009, 06:06 PM
GregO
4th Gear
mini problems

I tend to agree with Mark (orangecrush). I can empathize. Although I can't say I'd be driving an H2 instead! I say if things keep breaking on the MINI, keep getting those addressed until MINI fixes it or replaces the car. If he wants to whine about the car and not trade it or sell, let him!!! That's part of why this forum is here. It's therapeutic! It's sometimes beneficial by actually leading to a fix, and...it's all frustrating too, I know. Let him vent. Damn, I do.

Because a dealer says, "They all do that" or "it's normal", that's a load of crap because if those MINIs with problems (major or minor) diplayed them before being driven off the lot, I suspect half of those would have been rejected and unsold to the original buyers. All I expect is an honest effort to fix ANY defect properly - not by using caulking to fix a leak that caulking wasn't meant to fix (as an example) or by replacing one bad component with another.

Greg

Old 01-18-2009, 08:28 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
ClubmanS,

Can you not read or just choose to read things into what you read?

Where did I say I hate the car? I love my mini, I hate the fact that BMW/MINI refuses to fix things that should work.

I'm actually surprised on how many mini owners are brainwashed into accepting a $30K+ car that the sunroof only works correctly when it's 85 degrees or less.

It would be different if it were an isolated case but there's almost 20 pages of complaints on this. I'm not the only one... apparently, I must be one of the few that thinks it's ridiculous that we should have to accept it.

I took my Mini in to the dealer the first time the sunroof didn't work and when I talked to the service manager, I was given a look like I was crazy and was told that he had never heard of anyone having that problem.

The funny part, a friend of mine was just leaving from having his entire sunroof cassette replaced... yeah, never heard of this problem...riiight.

I do have issues with the melting hoodscoop and engine clattering but in either case, it is an aesthetic problem, not a misfunctioning problem like the sunroof.

Like I said, I hate the problem, I still love the car... just don't think I should have to tolerate this crap.

Mark

Old 01-19-2009, 04:20 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GregO
I tend to agree with Mark (orangecrush). I can empathize. Although I can't say I'd be driving an H2 instead! I say if things keep breaking on the MINI, keep getting those addressed until MINI fixes it or replaces the car. If he wants to whine about the car and not trade it or sell, let him!!! That's part of why this forum is here. It's therapeutic! It's sometimes beneficial by actually leading to a fix, and...it's all frustrating too, I know. Let him vent. Damn, I do.

Because a dealer says, "They all do that" or "it's normal", that's a load of crap because if those MINIs with problems (major or minor) diplayed them before being driven off the lot, I suspect half of those would have been rejected and unsold to the original buyers. All I expect is an honest effort to fix ANY defect properly - not by using caulking to fix a leak that caulking wasn't meant to fix (as an example) or by replacing one bad component with another.

Greg
to both points

Old 01-19-2009, 06:38 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hang in there...

Mark,

I really don't understand folks telling you to sell your car. Like you really need someone to tell you that.

I understand your frustrations. I have not had many issues with my MINI, but there have been a few. Yes they were frustrating. The difference being that mine have been fixed completely by my dealer (MAG MINI) without any of that ("they all do that BS") from them. They've been great & that makes a huge difference in how I feel about my MINI. The MINI is a fun car & for me I'm willing to accept some of its quirks in exchange for all of the fun it provides me. Now if I was driving one of what to me are appliance cars I'd be appalled at the issues I've had. But the only enjoyment I'd get from one of those is reliability & mileage. Not any fun at all really.

The real issue is you have a dealer that is not willing to help you. It's beyond me why some dealers are like that. You are scewed until you find one who is willing to do the right thing & help. I'm sure there are better ones where you live. Start searching for one & get your MINI fixed so you can be truly happy with it.

Good luck, motor on!

Old 01-19-2009, 01:24 PM
msjulie33
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tolerated the fact that my $30K+ car melts hood scoops.

I'm still stunned on the design of the scoop in the first place; you don't need an automotive engineering degree to note that the position of the turbo under the hood is going to allow a sh*tload of heat to collect very close to the hood, etc... if it wasn't a melting scoop it could be peeling paint... there should have been additional shielding on the turbo and/or some insulation on the hood.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:05 PM
BDHender
1st Gear
Seems to me like a lot of people come to a site like this when they first start to research, order or drive. They go away after that unless they have a problem then come roaring back. I was just looking for an aftermarket goodie and came across this thread.

In this group my experience might seem unusual. I live in Texas but my sunroof has never hesitated even in 104 degree weather. My hood scoop is unmelted. It was in the low 20's a couple of times this wenter but the engine made no unusual sounds. Five months old and so far has consumed nothing but gasoline and winshield washer fluid.

Bryan

Old 01-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
And after posting that...

I'm sure the problems will start to surface!

Matt

Old 01-19-2009, 05:40 PM
mickdayank
2nd Gear
Ditto

Originally Posted by BDHender
Seems to me like a lot of people come to a site like this when they first start to research, order or drive. They go away after that unless they have a problem then come roaring back. I was just looking for an aftermarket goodie and came across this thread.

In this group my experience might seem unusual. I live in Texas but my sunroof has never hesitated even in 104 degree weather. My hood scoop is unmelted. It was in the low 20's a couple of times this wenter but the engine made no unusual sounds. Five months old and so far has consumed nothing but gasoline and winshield washer fluid.

Bryan
I feel the same. No troubles at all. My dealer support has not and is not the best...well let me be honest...it blows, but my MINI is fantastic. Maybe some are just looking for problems. A car is a machine so troubles are inherent in every design but geez even Dr Obnxs seems to wish it on ya. Misery loves company.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:00 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mickdayank
I feel the same. No troubles at all. My dealer support has not and is not the best...well let me be honest...it blows, but my MINI is fantastic. Maybe some are just looking for problems. A car is a machine so troubles are inherent in every design but geez even Dr Obnxs seems to wish it on ya. Misery loves company.
I hope you guys don't have to deal with it but it's obvious it's a design flaw. Personally, I think you'll see it when the weather starts getting hot out again.

Mine worked fine for the first month or so and I joined the rest.

I'm sure with 16 pages of discontent, I'm not the only one.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-warm-out.html

And with this many people who are having the problem, there is no way anyone is going to make me believe it's acceptable and something we have to deal with because "it's just a quirk with a mini".

Mark

Old 01-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
there is no way anyone is going to make me believe it's acceptable and something we have to deal with because "it's just a quirk with a mini".

Mark
No, your dealer is the quirk here....

The real issue is you have a dealer that is not willing to help you.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:30 PM
ATCQL
5th Gear
Maybe the fix would be for BMW to insulate the hood,which was done on the earlier models.I have owned a VW turbo and had no problems with that set up,so seems like an easy fix to me.Q

Old 01-19-2009, 07:01 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton
No, your dealer is the quirk here....
I beg to differ with you. The dealer can only repair or replace what they know how to fix.

BMW/Mini has no cure for the sunroof, valvetrain or hood scoop problem.

It's not that they can't find a cure, they obviously don't give a shiet about it. It's absolutely no different than the mushrooming strut towers on earlier models.

BMW/Mini should have stepped up to the plate and installed a free strut tower brace. Instead, they chose to ignore it and waited until a new model came out.

You know, I may be wrong, BMW/Mini may be working on a cure. I mean, the R56 is only 3 model years old, maybe they just need more time.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
It's more than that....

really, there are parts of the cars that are good, and some that are not so good. Also, this is the day of parts per million defect levels, and for sure, there are parts of the Mini that are way, way more than that.

But even if several parts are in the parts per 10k failure rate, most won't have problems with that system, even if it is really bad in terms of expected quality levels.

Front control arm bushings.
Flywheels.
Window motors.
Windshields.
Dual mass flywheels.
CVT transmissions.
Midlands 5 speeds.
Warping R56 hoodscoops.
Oil Filled engine support.

This is just a very,,very short list of items that have had problematic failure rates. The 05-06 engine support is a when it will fail, not an if.

Matt

Quick Reply: I'm starting to think these cars are pieces of crap