Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

3 Years and 69k Miles. Maintenance list?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 05:17 PM
sprp85
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3 Years and 69k Miles. Maintenance list?

I have been wondering lately, as my car racks more miles everyday, what is REQUIRED / Recommended to change..

I have been doing oil changes regularly, belt changes, filter cleaning and spark plugs about 30k miles ago, brakes were done around 43k ish.. and it is squeeeeeelin now o and I have changed out ball bearing and tie-rod end recently. Thats about it!

I have been running low on coolant in my reservoir for a long long time, but did not have any over heating issues. And I just found out that my car is dripping very tiny bit of coolant on my garage floor... Cracker reservoir? Thermostat?

Any recommendations on what to change? (I know i know, if it ain't broke, don't change.. but I don't want to get stranded one morning as this is my only car..)

what I am planning to do soon:
1) Spark plugs
2) a new belt for 17% rp (NAPA this time.. as gators is not a perfect fit.)..
3) ??
4) ??
5) ??
6) ??
7) ??

I would really appreciate if you can add some items on to the list of things to change.. maybe some tips too as I am not the best DIYer in the world.

Thank you very much in advance

Old 05-16-2008, 07:40 PM
JAGFIXER
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to find the leak. It's possible it could be the thermostat housing or the oil cooler ( looking from under the car behind the oil filter housing). While there change coolant and renew. Spark plug wires, transmission fluid, renew brake fluid. Check shock rubber mounts and check suspension rubber. Battery, check voltage and output. Power steering hydralic fluid ( note not power steering fluid or trans fluid). Your manual has a check list. 69K, maybe O2 sensors to maintain fuel mileage. Clean throttle body. Depends how you want the car to run and for how long. List can be endless without full knowledge of service. Cabin air filters, engine air filter? For the brakes, did you reuse the rotors? Did you apply anti-squeal to back of pads ( reused old rotors not turned and no anti-squeal on pads can produce squealing).

Last edited by JAGFIXER; 05-16-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:10 PM
sprp85
6th Gear
Wow
Thank you so much for the through-list of things i should do...!!!

I will start from plugs, plug wires, leak checks, flush. How hard is it to do coolant flushing? or is it just easier and better to take it to a shop for a quick flush?

Again thanks

Old 05-17-2008, 03:04 PM
techtipz
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look ontop of your thermostat housing. If you see white marks, your tstat housing is leaking. Also, if you look under your vehicle and you see coolant on the trans more towards the middle of the vehicle, its your thermostat. It is hard to pressure test and find the thermostat and housing leaking but it is a more common failure. PM me if you need any help, I am located in the Baltimore area.

Old 05-17-2008, 04:19 PM
jrprich
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sprp85
Wow
How hard is it to do coolant flushing? or is it just easier and better to take it to a shop for a quick flush?

Again thanks
I have checked with several dealers and independents, the lowest flush that changes ALL the coolant ran $190
Most just pull the lower radiator hose and refill.......this leaves at least 1/2 the old coolant in the block

Old 05-17-2008, 06:01 PM
sprp85
6th Gear
Originally Posted by techtipz
Look ontop of your thermostat housing. If you see white marks, your tstat housing is leaking. Also, if you look under your vehicle and you see coolant on the trans more towards the middle of the vehicle, its your thermostat. It is hard to pressure test and find the thermostat and housing leaking but it is a more common failure. PM me if you need any help, I am located in the Baltimore area.
Will do sir!!

$150 for complete flush huh?
For that money, i could buy a new tie-rod, ball joint and more for my maintenance!

I just got a copy of BMW TIS.. I will look into it more tonight when I have time!