North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-9/)
-   -   Radiator fan resistor... (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/131058-radiator-fan-resistor.html)

gclass 03-02-2008 05:22 PM

Radiator fan resistor...

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone knows were i can get the resistor (green device) of the Radiator Fan. I was thinking that if this is the problem why not just change it, instead of buying the whole assembly. I have included a picture for reference.

Attachment 29850

gokaht 04-23-2008 06:23 AM

I need the same thing - did you have any luck?

gclass 04-23-2008 08:22 AM

Resistor

Well so far I found a resistor from Ford Escape 02 which is the same thing (control fan speed) and look the same too. However, i'm currently running the fan without the resistor. Meaning: im still using the old fan but always at high speed and no problem so far.

Grahamxx 04-23-2008 10:41 AM

I had the same problem hee in the UK, had to buy a complete fan unit as you can't buy the resistor separately!

JeffM 05-12-2008 10:17 AM

I'm jumping in a little late here, but my low speed fan is inoperative so I'm interested in the topic. Is it possible to replace the resistor without disassembling the whole front of the car, if we could find a suitable replacement part? I don't want to buy a whole new fan assembly just to fix this, but my main issue is with the work involved to R/R it, not the price of the part. I'd love to find a simple fix!

tayana 06-16-2008 12:21 PM

Fan resistor

Our 03' Mini has a bad low speed fan resistor as well and I was curious if you had been able to locate a replacement.

Thanks

Jerry

JeffM 06-16-2008 12:44 PM

No, unfortunately I never found a replacement for just this part. As best I can tell, the only solution is to replace the entire fan assembly. I just ordered one today, and will tackle the job in mid-July.
FYI, Classic Mini in Ohio is having a parts deal this month (ends 6/30) where all parts are only 10% above cost. This makes the fan assembly under $200, which is quite a savings. So if you need this done, now might be a good time to order the part at least.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=142314

tayana 06-19-2008 06:11 AM

Did you ever install the Ford resistor? I assume this was just the low speed resistor and not the whole fan control unit form Ford?

Jerry

CSIBMINI 08-11-2008 07:28 PM

Any new info on the replacement resistor?

Brad

rjtrout2000 08-15-2008 10:03 PM

I hope this is not the case. I have been told that this is the part that may be faulting on my mini. The low speed fan doesn't come on at all, but that wouldn't be a bother if I was able to drive the car without the car power surging. The surging only happens when the A/C is on, so we will see what the diagnosis is soon...

thx11381 08-17-2008 03:39 AM

You may want to check out RockAuto.com, they list a fan assem. at about 81.00 for 03/03 build dates and above.

thx11381 09-06-2008 04:26 AM

Update: Rock Auto fan assem. comes with the resistor, Low speed fan is now operational, approx. 1 hour to replace. you only need to tilt the rad at the top to unclip the fan on its 2 lower attachment points. (after the condensor is loosened) Just make sure to support the ac condensor so you do not damage it.

Warped1966 09-06-2008 04:42 AM

Were any of you able to see numbers on the resistors? Manufacturer info? I bet if you took them to a good electronics parts supply store, and Radio Shack doesn't count as one, they would be able to get you one. It might not look exactly like the stock part but it would do the same job. Just food for thought. :thumbsup:

thx11381 09-06-2008 05:10 AM

I am in Va. Beach, you can have the old one. PM for address

cycleway4 09-11-2008 06:36 AM

Hi....I ordered one of RockAutos fan assemblies,.....yes it did have the resistor,.......NOTE***did have the resistor....it was laying in bottem of box.
Looks like someone ordered the assembly, removed the resistor, put their old one in the box,...and sent it back.
So,....I returned it again,....DOA. Part is no longer carried by RockAuto.

Guess will try another source,

The fan assembly, by the way, looked to be really nice quality. Made in Taiwan, not China.

Steve

Warped1966 09-11-2008 06:44 PM

I don't want or need the old one. I have an R56 so mine is probably different. What you need to do is have a sparky (electrician) go test a good one with an ohm meter and see what the resistance is then get one that matches that from a reputable electronics store.

Ancient Mariner 09-11-2008 10:17 PM

Not just the ohms that need checking, but the wattage rating. Power rating of a resistor is very important when it's used on something that draws as much amperage as an electric motor does. Might get lucky and see the rating stamped on the old resistor.

cycleway4 09-12-2008 04:29 AM

the resistor was stamped .34 ohms...........as AncientMariner said, it would also need to be of sufficient specs to handle the amperage of the fan motor.

Steve

Warped1966 09-12-2008 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ancient Mariner (Post 2465385)
Not just the ohms that need checking, but the wattage rating. Power rating of a resistor is very important when it's used on something that draws as much amperage as an electric motor does. Might get lucky and see the rating stamped on the old resistor.

See? I'm obviously not a sparky! :grin:

Tom D 09-12-2008 02:02 PM

Is there any other writing on the resistor besides .34 ohms?

cycleway4 09-13-2008 12:24 PM

nothing on mine.

Steve

cycleway4 09-22-2008 05:33 PM

Well, returned the defective fan assembly to RockAuto,...got my refund immediately,.....and have received another complete assembly from GoParts.com..........all parts are there,..looks really nice......$82.00, same price as RockAuto [who no longer carries the part].

Steve

cristo 09-23-2008 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Ancient Mariner (Post 2465385)

I can think of 2 ways to figure out the power requirements. V = I*R,
and P = I*V or V*V/R or I*I*R.

If you have a good resistor, then measure the voltage drop across it
when the fan is running and the resistor is active in the circuit.
Then power in watts would be V*V/R.
For instance a 4 V drop across the resistor would result in 47 watts,
so you'd need something rated a bit higher than that for this example.

If you don't have a functional resistor to test, then you can run the fan
straight off the 12V battery (probably 13.5V or more if the car's running)
and measure the voltage drop on it, and the
current draw in amperes as well. Then you can figure out the effective resistance
of the fan (R(fan) = V(across fan)/I(through fan), and when it's in series with the resistor which you know is .34 ohms,
then I = V (13.5 or so)/(R(fan) + 0.34), and power will be I*I*R.

minirayofsunshine 05-15-2011 10:03 PM

ps problem

hi to everyone
it would appear from reading the posts on this topic that i have the same problem as quite a few people.
a couple of days ago i turned off the ignition and the ps pump fan kept on running, as i was somewhere a little remote i decided to head back only to have my ps fail about 500m down the road.
i have removed the fan and hooked it up to 12v, it runs fine.
someone told me if i lift the car and turn the steering back and forth the fluid in the ps reservoir should move if the pumps ok (is this right?)
also i have located the offending resistor that a few of you have mentioned, but am unable to gain enough access to it to remove it, i have unbolted the radiator but it doesn't move forward far enough. If i do manage to get the resistor out is it the small one or the big green one?
Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.
martin

cristo 05-16-2011 07:43 AM

You need to put the car in "service mode" if you haven't already done so
and unclip the top radiator hose to move the radiator forward.
Then you can unclip and lift out the fan assembly fairly easily.
It's the big green one - not even sure what that smaller part is.

BTW - here's the BIG thread on this subject:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-solution.html