Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Airbag light?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 04:13 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
No need to disconnect the battery on seat removal, just don't switch ignition on until after seat is installed.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:04 PM
tim781996
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pilotart
No need to disconnect the battery on seat removal, just don't switch ignition on until after seat is installed.
It's a little late for me to be finding this out now. I'll know next time, but I guess I'll have to take it into the dealer to have them reset it now.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Ambrosia
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tim781996
It's a little late for me to be finding this out now. I'll know next time, but I guess I'll have to take it into the dealer to have them reset it now.
This happened to me and I had to take it to the dealer to clear the code (cost me $129). Your airbags will not function properly until it is cleared!

Old 07-25-2008, 06:29 PM
tim781996
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ambrosia
This happened to me and I had to take it to the dealer to clear the code (cost me $129). Your airbags will not function properly until it is cleared!
Was your car out of warranty?

Old 07-25-2008, 08:04 PM
Ambrosia
4th Gear
Was your car out of warranty?
No, during an audio upgrade we completely unplugged and removed the passenger seat (while the battery was disconnected). Unfortunately we re-connected the battery and started up the car before putting the seat bag in and re-connecting everything. That was the mistake. We tried to clear it ourselves with an obd-II scanner with no luck. I only told the dealer that the seat was removed and they would of course not cover the cost since it was my mistake.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:34 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
Thanks for the info. I don't think they will, but if my dealer tries to charge me for it, I'll simply take it somewhere else.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:54 AM
Noegel
5th Gear
Sorry to threadjack, but if my airbag light is disable, can you argue to keep your vehicle if they have no loaners? I mean, it isn't their vehicle (unless it is a lease).

I mean, jeez, I just came out of a 1992 Mazda Protege... that had no airbags, period. Just sheetmetal and seatbelts. I bet the MINI would be safer than that, with or without airbags.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Ambrosia
4th Gear
Thanks for the info. I don't think they will, but if my dealer tries to charge me for it, I'll simply take it somewhere else.
Good luck with that. It sucks to have to pay the full ecu flash charge just to clear the code but if it is something you can't prove the car just did on it's own, then I'm guessing most places will make you pay for a simple mistake.

There was no point in me trying to say it just happened (and therefore covered under warranty) since I'm pretty sure when they took the car to check out the airbag sensor connections under the seat they would notice the amp installed underneath...lol. Trying to clear it ourselves didn't work and I wasn't comfortable driving around for an extened period without my airbags working. (I had been in an accident a few months before and my airbag saved my face).

Old 07-28-2008, 04:58 AM
nclin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Coen_de_K
guys,

I switched seats.... now there are 2lights on... 1airbag and 1 light that warns me that the seatbelt is not on?!

anyone?!
I have both lights on in my MCCS. It is a 2008. I've had the car 5 days. Not sure what is going on yet, but will be calling the dealer today.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:25 AM
LOP
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by nclin
I have both lights on in my MCCS. It is a 2008. I've had the car 5 days. Not sure what is going on yet, but will be calling the dealer today.
Keep us posted please on the outcome. This is, afterall, what this thread is about.
Good Luck and thanks

Old 08-02-2008, 08:35 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Coen_de_K
guys,

I switched seats.... now there are 2lights on... 1airbag and 1 light that warns me that the seatbelt is not on?!

anyone?!
I got this as well on my Clubman which has been in the shop for 5 days already.

- seatbelt light stays on (thank God it does not chime)
- overhead "passanger seatbelt dissabled" light stays on (with or without a passanger there)
- airbag light in speedo and tach ON (this comes and goes)

according to them its the entire bottom seat mat sensor in the pasanger seat ... they changed it TWICE in the last few days while in the shop but still no go. They insist that the mat is still the issue and they might be faulty. I believe MINIUSA is getting involved on Monday to figure it out.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:41 AM
LOP
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by lurch70
I got this as well on my Clubman which has been in the shop for 5 days already.

- seatbelt light stays on (thank God it does not chime)
- overhead "passanger seatbelt dissabled" light stays on (with or without a passanger there)
- airbag light in speedo and tach ON (this comes and goes)

according to them its the entire bottom seat mat sensor in the pasanger seat ... they changed it TWICE in the last few days while in the shop but still no go. They insist that the mat is still the issue and they might be faulty. I believe MINIUSA is getting involved on Monday to figure it out.

sorry to hear this, but PLEASE keep us posted and best of luck...

Old 08-04-2008, 12:05 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LOP
sorry to hear this, but PLEASE keep us posted and best of luck...
thanks!

so it looks like its probably not the mat afterall but rather the entire airbag control "module" ... getting swapped out tomorrow and hope that rectifies the problem.

liking the loaner S but miss the Clubman

Old 08-05-2008, 01:10 PM
LOP
3rd Gear
thanks!

so it looks like its probably not the mat afterall but rather the entire airbag control "module" ... getting swapped out tomorrow and hope that rectifies the problem.

liking the loaner S but miss the Clubman

hmmm, interesting. Thanks for the update, hope it works out...waiting patiently.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:24 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
still no word on the solution ... did I stump them?

Old 08-05-2008, 03:32 PM
LOP
3rd Gear
still no word on the solution ... did I stump them?

Old 08-11-2008, 06:52 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
still in the shop ... tomorrow will be 2 weeks.

the original module they ordered had an outdated software and the "right" one needed some time to arrive. should be here Wednesday and "hopefully" I am home free.

they would not return my car while waiting for the part citing that I would probably go after them with an armada of lawyers if I get in an accident and the bags don't deploy.

if I did not have previous experience with the dealer I would be worried but I worked with them for over 4 years and they have yet to let me down.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:36 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
and what do I see on the front page of CNN just now:

http://money.cnn.com/2008/08/13/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

sounds similar to my issue, at least they thought it was initially ... wonder if MINI shares these "detection mats" with certain BMW's

Old 08-13-2008, 10:41 AM
LOP
3rd Gear
and what do I see on the front page of CNN just now:

http://money.cnn.com/2008/08/13/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

sounds similar to my issue, at least they thought it was initially ... wonder if MINI shares these "detection mats" with certain BMW's

Old 08-15-2008, 04:05 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
ok, 16 days later ... car is out. SRS control module replaced ... 2 days, no lights for airbag or seatbelt triggered.

how do I test if they work? wall?

Old 08-16-2008, 06:26 AM
LOP
3rd Gear
ok, 16 days later ... car is out. SRS control module replaced ... 2 days, no lights for airbag or seatbelt triggered.

how do I test if they work? wall?

Glad to read you got it back.
Wonder if that is the same thing happening wth ours? Guess we will wait and see.
thanks for the updates.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:50 AM
mnimule
3rd Gear
WOW Just had the overhead light come on last night, i had a passenger sit in the seat for 45 min. after I droped them off, bout 30 min. drive to my house put the car in N and the light came on and then went away..... this is the first time this has happened!!! Then this morning I went to work had both the windows down parked the car went to roll up the windows using the auto feature the passenger window rolled up half way then rolled back down by itself!!!! very very wierd i think my electrical system had gone heywired!!!! Any thoughts....?

Old 09-22-2008, 06:37 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ambrosia
Good luck with that. It sucks to have to pay the full ecu flash charge just to clear the code but if it is something you can't prove the car just did on it's own, then I'm guessing most places will make you pay for a simple mistake.

There was no point in me trying to say it just happened (and therefore covered under warranty) since I'm pretty sure when they took the car to check out the airbag sensor connections under the seat they would notice the amp installed underneath...lol. Trying to clear it ourselves didn't work and I wasn't comfortable driving around for an extened period without my airbags working. (I had been in an accident a few months before and my airbag saved my face).
Okay, I finally had my light reset on Saturday.... no charge, no questions asked. (MINI of Peabody)

Old 09-22-2008, 08:40 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I did the same thing yesterday. I pulled the seat out to run an extension wire from the factory satellite antenna to my XM Xpress RC. I didn't realize I was suppose to disconnect the battery first though.

Is there any other fix for this besides going to the dealer? It's kind of a haul.
Okay, I finally had my light reset on Saturday.... no charge, no questions asked. (MINI of Peabody)
Glad to read that your AirBag Warning was reset without charge.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:36 PM
gregsmini
4th Gear
Sorry to get in on this so late, but I'll share my experience with the my Airbag problem. I had my 2008 MCS about three weeks when, on Friday 8/8/08, starting it up to go to work and the Red Airbag warning light in the middle of the tachometer came on along with the warning alarm. The alarm shut-off after a little bit but the red warning light remained on. I drove to work, about 5 miles, which it stayed on for the trip. I started up after work and same problem, red airbag warning light with alarm. I made appointment at Otto's Mini for the following Wednesday. The red warning light remained on until I left it at the dealer to be repaired!
After examining the MCS, they informed me that the Airbag Module was defective and the car was unsafe to drive. They were unable to locate a replacement part until the following Monday afternoon and the part was in Germany! The SA did advise me that some type of modification was being made, which led to the delay. She also told me that there were other Mini's experiencing the same problem at dealers in the Midwest but no others at their dealership. All in all it took twelve days at the dealer to get my sixteen day old MCS repaired. Just to clarify my only problem has been with the red airbag warning light and alarm, I have never had a problem with yellow warning light regarding the passenger side airbag. I have had Sunny back for just over a month and no more problems at this point. I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Airbag light?