Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Random power loss at WOT and engine shutdown - Cooper S

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 12:17 PM
AARC51
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Random power loss at WOT and engine shutdown - Cooper S

My girlfriend just an S with an automatic and I've experienced what I can only describe as a loss of power at wide open throttle a few times. Most recently, about an hour ago, it was WOT from a 5MPH roll while turning - I'm not sure if it's related to turning. When it happens the engine seems to hover at the same RPM for a second then RPMs will increase like normal and the power returns. Also, just a few moments ago, the engine completely turned off as I was rolling into the parking lot and the CEL came on. I restarted the car and all was well after that. It's almost as if the fuel pump is shutting down - though I don't know anything about cars. Any ideas?

Old 10-30-2007, 02:58 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its probably DSC kicking in. Turn it off and see if the symptoms go away. Then turn it back on and realize that its doing its job and keeping you safe.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:06 PM
MikeL
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AARC51
My girlfriend just an S with an automatic and I've experienced what I can only describe as a loss of power at wide open throttle a few times. Most recently, about an hour ago, it was WOT from a 5MPH roll while turning - I'm not sure if it's related to turning. When it happens the engine seems to hover at the same RPM for a second then RPMs will increase like normal and the power returns. Also, just a few moments ago, the engine completely turned off as I was rolling into the parking lot and the CEL came on. I restarted the car and all was well after that. It's almost as if the fuel pump is shutting down - though I don't know anything about cars. Any ideas?
Unless you have sticky tires w/ Limited Slip Differential, you will get wheelspin when WOT in a turn. That will invoke the traction control (DSC light blinks) which backs off the throttle briefly. Have no idea why it would have stalled but a CEL is normal when the engine stalls.