Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

OIl Change - Coolant Res Question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OIl Change - Coolant Res Question?

Just finished the first oil change on my Mini. I think I'm just paranoid, but can someone snap a picture of the elbow connection on the bottom of the coolant reservoir tank?

Does it look like this? Seems like this fitting could fit farther up onto the tank. It's not leaking, but I'd rather be safe than sorry here. Just trying to confirm I didn't slide it partially off while moving the tank out of the way.

Thanks!

Attachment 26040

Attachment 26041

Last edited by Minidrivr; 06-10-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:13 PM
pastabatman
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
Just finished the first oil change on my Mini. I think I'm just paranoid, but can someone snap a picture of the elbow connection on the bottom of the coolant reservoir tank?

Does it look like this? Seems like this fitting could fit farther up onto the tank. It's not leaking, but I'd rather be safe than sorry here. Just trying to confirm I didn't slide it partially off while moving the tank out of the way.

Thanks!
I'll go take a look. But you've had it 5 days and you're changing the oil?

Old 10-22-2007, 05:44 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
1000 miles in 3 days, maybe...

Old 10-22-2007, 06:11 PM
pastabatman
4th Gear
Looks about the same to me. My MA was adamant that that with today's synthetic oils and engines that changing the oil really isn't necessary until the first scheduled change at the dealer. He also mentioned that the engines are broken in at the factory, and the oil changed there.

Attached Thumbnails OIl Change - Coolant Res Question?-img_1763.jpg  
Old 10-22-2007, 09:19 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Thanks for checking. Yes, not many miles on it, but there were fine metal particles in the oil and in the oil filter. The last 2 new engines I've broken in (2005 Chevy truck; 2001 Honda CBR motorcycle) had lots of metal particles in the oil at early oil changes. Literally a teaspoon full in the Chevy's first change.

I'd rather get that junk out of there, but that's just IMO. There wasn't near that much in the Mini. The factory might just flush them before shipping.

Last edited by Minidrivr; 10-22-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:00 PM
pastabatman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
Thanks for checking. Yes, not many miles on it, but there were fine metal particles in the oil and in the oil filter. The last 2 new engines I've broken in (2005 Chevy truck; 2001 Honda CBR motorcycle) had lots of metal particles in the oil at early oil changes. Literally a teaspoon full in the Chevy's first change.

I'd rather get that junk out of there, but that's just IMO. There wasn't near that much in the Mini. The factory might just flush them before shipping.
Wow, good to know. Maybe I'll do mine soon too.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:06 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
MA misinformed

Misinformed salesman...this has been brought up and clarified elsewhere on this board. Engines are NOT broken in at the factory, oil is NOT changed. They pull a car aside every so many and run it a while as an overall quality test. Other than that, the rest are given a quick "hooked up" run to read that all is well and sent on their way. YOU break the car in. Believe it.
THINK about it. IF the engine was BROKEN IN, why would there be a break in period?? Again, look around the board, search with some key words, you'll find the string/thread.

Originally Posted by pastabatman
Looks about the same to me. My MA was adamant that that with today's synthetic oils and engines that changing the oil really isn't necessary until the first scheduled change at the dealer. He also mentioned that the engines are broken in at the factory, and the oil changed there.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pastabatman
Wow, good to know. Maybe I'll do mine soon too.
The Chevy experience scared me. The motor is fine in it, 50k+ on it now without any oil burning or other issues. Just amazed at how much junk was in there. It never came back after that first change (at 4k miles).

I guess I'm just paranoid with the Mini. I almost didn't want to detail it today afraid I might start a life of swirl marks. I may need mental help... :impatient