Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

ALIGNMENT... MINI PULLS, NORMAL?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 08:46 AM
paipuky
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey,

Thank you very much for the help. I'll do that.

Originally Posted by caminifan
Someone is blowing smoke at you. Torque steering comes from different length driveshafts and manifests itself as the steering wheel fighting you in a turn when you step on the go pedal. There is a big long explanation for why it happens, but the Cliff Notes version is what I just described. You likely have a problem with your tires or the alignment (toe setting) on your car.

As a first step, I would suggest getting a 4-wheel alignment at a dedicated suspension alignment shop. Once the alignment is at spec, if the car still pulls to one side, you need to look at your tires. One tire is likely slightly greater in circumference than the other. You can prove it by swapping tires from one side to the other and if the car reverses the side it pulls to, you have your answer.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:39 PM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree with all that said that crown of the road is the probable culprit. I have a specific road that I test my cars on sometimes before and always after depending on the problem. Drift is the key word..Less toe out equals more instability and faster reaction to steering input. More toe in equals more stability.

Also, in regards to steering wheel centering. The wheel should never be corrected by removing and reinstalling it in a different location. Everything including the clock spring for the airbag has a baseline center position and having the tierods adjusted inproperly and compensating for that by adjusting the wheel is wrong. Fortunately, there are only so many things that can be out of center since the shaft that goes to the bottom of the stering column and at the rack itself can only put on one way.

Check alignment, if camber and caster are not out of specs, center steering wheel by turning it only. reset toe.