Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Replacement battery options for MCS...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 02:08 PM
CirqueDeSoMini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 07-07-2008, 04:16 PM
wewantamini
1st Gear
Sent the Interstate back ordered the right Deka

Last edited by wewantamini; 07-07-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:40 PM
CirqueDeSoMini
2nd Gear
batcap 800

Finally installed the batcap 800…less junks in me trunks http://web.mac.com/melrc2/iWeb/BatCa...Batcap800.html …battery had been siiting for about a month in a hot garage prior to install…started right up; went for a slalom drive ( slung the car very hard ) no probs… acceleration seemed/felt to be improved and as a plus the stereo had tighter control of the low tones, due obviously to the batcap's ability to discharge at a much higher rate than the OEM battery.

Last edited by CirqueDeSoMini; 01-07-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:20 PM
EVENSTEVEN
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
interstate replacement

Originally Posted by joedude99
I love my new 7-year Interstate battery. The tow truck operator said that he doesn't see them dead in cars he tows.
What model number is your Interstate? I am looking for a good replacement for my 2005 MC-S.
evensteven

Old 10-05-2008, 10:00 AM
splicer65
1st Gear
So another thread asks "how long did your battery last". No sooner do I mention 6 years on my '03 S it's done . Autozone is nearby, group 47 in stock. 15minutes, 10mm socket, and it's done. Higher CCA than OEM, 7 yr warranty. http://tinyurl.com/5hrlrc

Paul

Last edited by splicer65; 10-23-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:39 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
What is the weight of the stock battery? The odyssey batteries weigh 46 lbs. With my audio plans, I can't get a braile battery or other light weight battery without spending a crap ton on capacitors.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:25 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by nabeshin
What is the weight of the stock battery? The odyssey batteries weigh 46 lbs. With my audio plans, I can't get a braile battery or other light weight battery without spending a crap ton on capacitors.
Unless you're planning on playing your stereo for extended periods of time with the engine off, check out the BatCap 800 mentioned in post #28. It has 800 cold-cranking amps, so that's plenty for starting your car. Plus, if your alternator can't keep up with the peak power demands of your stereo, the BatCap can temporarily provide *huge* amounts of current to the stereo to make up the difference (much like a capacitor).

Also, the BatCap 800 only weighs about 15 pounds. The tradeoff for the light weight is that it only has a capacity of 20 amp-hours compared to 55 amp-hours for the stock battery, but the capacity only matters if the engine isn't running.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:06 AM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks scottriqui. What would NAM do without engineers like you around? You are an electrical engineer right? For some reason, you strike me as one - else it was mentioned somewhere.

So is this shady looking website or ebay the only place to get a BatCap800?

Old 06-08-2009, 08:20 AM
shark715
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just finished replacing the stock Mini battery in my GF's '03 MCS with one of the Exide Everlast 47-3 batteries sold at WalMart. The only difference is that the new battery is a bit shorter in height so the top of the bracket does not hold the battery in the same manner as the OEM Mini battery. However the bottom bracket fits perfectly and holds the battery quite snugly, so I have no concerns about the battery moving around in the well where it sits. Best of all it cost only $64 and the battery capacity exceeds the original. The new one is 590 CCA. The original vent tube fit the new battery (on the "positive side), but I also noticed what appears to be a second vent tube hold on the "negative" side of the battery. I put a small piece of electrical tape over the apparent second vent hole just in case. One other thing to mention...the new battery requires periodic checking of the electrolyte level, whereas the original battery was sealed, a minor issue IMO.

The following users liked this post:
EMLemasters (08-30-2021)
Old 06-17-2009, 02:07 PM
LeeL
5th Gear
I took delivery in Nov 03 and noticed that last winter, if I left my car outside overnight, it would turn over significantly more slowly than if the car was warmer (in fact, once or twivce I thought it would give up), so I assume that my battery is on its way out. So, I assume a new battery is in my future.

I like the idea of the Battcap 800. It would be awful expensive, but is there anything stopping someone from taking 2 Battcap 800s and wiring them in parallel to get more amp hours out of them, yet still be a decent amount lighter than stock?

Old 06-17-2009, 02:09 PM
4Boogie
all throttle no bottle
I love my Optima red top battery

Old 06-18-2009, 07:29 AM
Jon@TheMshop
1st Gear
We use Interstate MTP-H5. For awhile I think Interstate didn't have that size and recommend to use MT-47 but they were shorter and we had to install foam blocks underneath the battery to bring the height up properly.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:39 PM
lvcubs23
2nd Gear
I replaced my dead battery in my 2005 MCS with a Duralast Gold battery model # H5-DLG. It fits perfect!

Old 11-08-2009, 09:06 AM
lawmann
Coordinator :: Middle Georgia MINIs
Optima Replacement

My stock battery finaly died after nearly 4 years, not bad for a stock MINI battery from what I hear. I installed a Optima Yellow top in the MINI and it works/fits great. Having a ten year warranty, I believe I will bet a long life out of this Optima Yellow Top.

Usually a battery, in most of my experiences, have out lasted their warranties; what is the longest out there an Optima has lasted under normal applications (no excessive sound system amps)?

Old 12-05-2009, 08:25 PM
jetblackmini
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Optima 34R

I just replaced the OEM battery in my 05 MCS with an Optima 34R. The battery fits great in the compartment and the polls on the battery are on the correct side. (Negative on the left and positive on the right when facing the boot). The original bracket is high for the install but instead of raising up the battery I used a small wooden block under the bracket to hold down the battery.

Photos

Note on some of the photos: The gap was about 3/4 inch between the height of the battery and the bracket. I did have to change the side of the the zip tie hold down for the positive cable. Which required cutting the old zip tie and replacing. Also the holder screws on (don't pry it off, might break it).

Last edited by jetblackmini; 12-07-2010 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Link to photos having issues...
The following users liked this post:
EMLemasters (08-30-2021)
Old 12-05-2009, 08:40 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
I picked up my replacement battery from the local auto parts store for $90. Dealer wanted $200.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Yangsen
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jetblackmini
I just replaced the OEM battery in my 05 MCS with an Optima 34R. The battery fits great in the compartment and the polls on the battery are on the correct side. (Negative on the left and positive on the right when facing the boot). The original bracket is high for the install but instead of raising up the battery I used a small wooden block under the bracket to hold down the battery.

Here is a link of my process: http://nickjordan.smugmug.com/Cars/M...32576821_DswQf

Note on some of the photos: The gap was about 3/4 inch between the height of the battery and the bracket. I did have to change the side of the the zip tie hold down for the positive cable. Which required cutting the old zip tie and replacing. Also the holder screws on (don't pry it off, might break it).
thanks jetblackmini.

your photos provided great detail on the install. just replaced my OE battery with a Optima RedTop 34R. straight forward swap. the height difference doesnt seemed to be a issue given the weight and good fit of the 34R. I ziptied the "venting tube?" against the cable to the side. hope that doesnt cause any problem.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:41 PM
kapps
6th Gear
I've been running a Red Top 35 for a while (not sure if they still have that number). It also had the gap on top and I filled that with a piece of foam to keep the smaller battery from sliding around.

Also, on the topic of vent tubes... those of you who get standard batteries, make sure you use the vent. Optima's are sealed so they don't have one but normal lead acid batteries need to vent the gas formed when charging. The tube is there to get the gas outside of the passenger compartment. I didn't realize how much gas is actually produced until a friend accidentally pinched the vent tube on her little 10AH bike battery. The next day, it was nearly impossible to get out because it swelled up so much. As we finally pulled it out, we heard a pop and the sound of rushing gas as the pressure was relieved when the tube popped off the battery.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:26 AM
DaveVT02S
4th Gear
So... After checking out the pic.s posted by "jetblackmini" (nice, by the way), I have a question:

(first, I haven't had a single issue w/ starting, so I'm probably jinxing myself for doing this)

I've owned my 7/02 MCS for 26 months - I've just assumed that I've got the original battery, but mine has a BMW logo (not a MINI logo) - I went out to check for a date, but didn't spot one (and didn't spend a lot of time out there - it's 14 degrees this morning ) - thoughts?

Old 12-16-2009, 02:24 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
I think you have a replacement....might have been done under warrenty though. The battery is at best a 24 month battery, so watch out. Many have had the battery fail so fast they have been stranded at a grocery store...watch out. I got an optoma 34r.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:20 PM
kapps
6th Gear
When the battery starts getting close to the end, you will notice the gauges under the speedo vibrate for a couple seconds immediately following engine startup. I assume this is a low voltage sort of warning. It happened for a couple months before my original battery died and it's happened a couple times since (following some short trips in cold weather).

Old 01-12-2010, 05:06 AM
NOSUV4ME
2nd Gear
To DaveVT02S -

I have an '02 S that I've had since new in July '02 and my battery looks the same as your picture so this is probably OEM. I only have 55K on my car but with the extremely cold weather we've been having and with lack of activity I think my battery is now on it's way out. It isn't holding a good charge after having to have it jumped so I'm having it checked and will replace with an Optima 34R like so many others here. I've never had any problems with the battery before but after nearly 8 years of ownership I'm feeling pretty happy that I've gotten my money's woth out of it.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:24 AM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
Unless you have AAA or some type or tow plan on your car, I say replace it every 3 years or so, the price of the battery is about what a tow would cost.
Just my opinion

Old 01-12-2010, 08:41 AM
DaveVT02S
4th Gear
Well, night before last, was 'out on the town' and it was cooollld out - went out, stuck the key in, turned one click just to check: -7 , weatherchannel said -21 windchill - 4 turns and it started right up (btw, seat heaters FTW)...

Disclaimer: It's my DD (in fact my only car, and just rolled-over 70k yesterday), so I'm sure that helps - in spite of having my alternator bearings go bad and replacing same a couple of months ago...
-
Counterpoint (aka agreeing w/ a couple of previous posts): A wise old mechanic spoke these words to me as a young man, that I never forgot: "Just because it ain't broke, don't mean it ain't about to."
-
Addendum: four years ago for Christmas an aunt gave me a relatively cheapo emergency roadside bag - contains light duty jumper cables, tow strap, wool blanket, collapsible shovel, etc. - I thought it was kinda silly at the time, but now the only time it's out of the car is when I'm cleaning - I've only ever used it for assisting others motorists (except when I overcooked a turn when doing frozen-lake time trials, then the strap came out )...

Old 01-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I asked my local Advance AP store the price of a 34R. The responded with something like $175 (ouch). I mentioned that it could be had for much less over the internet. They responded "Bring us the add and they will match the price". I don't need a new bat right now, but will soon, so I guess I may be testing their policy.

YD

Quick Reply: Replacement battery options for MCS...