Solo Old dawg trying to learn new tricks

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 07:54 PM
Montana Miniac
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old dawg trying to learn new tricks

Hi. I'm new to the forum, and although I have autoXed for several years, this is my first Mini project . You all have a wonderful resource here. Good Job. I have tried to read as many posts about equipment and classification as my eyes would allow. I have also pored over the 2006 SCCA rule book trying to decide where my 2002 MCS would fit in to Solo II.

First of all, my region just adopted the use of national rules. We have been working under a home grown class system for years. Welcome to the 21st century. Anyway, there is great confusion for many of us old timers, and I want to try and do this right. As I understand it, a MCS would normally run in "GP". Here's the rub, I have some minor changes that I am unsure might bump me into another class. The stock air intake box is basically gutted, and a K&N cone type air filter is in place. I also have a short throw shifter kit installed. As I interpret the 2006 rules, these are not acceptable in a stock class and would place me in "STX". Am I correct? If not, where to next?

Next Question: (sorry this topic has been beat to death), My 2002 MCS is equipped with S-Lite 17" wheels. If I were to return to GS could I use the stock 15 or 16 inch rim sizes with out getting bumped again. Am I correct in thinking this would not be a issue in STX?

Thanks for any help, as I try to stumble through the Rule Book Fog!

Old 01-15-2006, 08:31 PM
MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jim you are right about the CAI and Short shifter putting you into STX which isn't bad, tires are cheaper. You can only run 17x7 or 16x6.5 rims in GS. That way in STX you can run any rim size I beleive up to 8 inch wide. I have been running a GS car for the last 3yrs, and will be running it all over at the Tour events this year. I would suggest a couple pretty inexpensive mods for either STX or GS. You could run a couple other classes like DSP or SM depending on what else you would do to your car. If you want you can email me or call me and we'll figure out what to do.

Old 01-15-2006, 09:15 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JimDavis MT Mini

Next Question: (sorry this topic has been beat to death), My 2002 MCS is equipped with S-Lite 17" wheels. If I were to return to GS could I use the stock 15 or 16 inch rim sizes with out getting bumped again. Am I correct in thinking this would not be a issue in STX?
16x6.5 or 17x7 is legal in GS. STX can run anything up to 8" wide wheel and 245 wide tire(not that we can fit that wide)

I would recommend for wheels, starting out with something very light and inexpensive. The Rota Slipstreams from 18racing.com are only $470 shipped in 15x7's and they will transform your car into a better handling car and you'll feel quite a bit more power once you get rid of your very heavy s-lites. :-) Or, another good option is the 16x7 Rota Slipstreams for $510 shipped. Not too bad of an investment, and, you'll feel like your driving a whole new car too!