Sierra Nevada Mini Coopers A Mini club serving Northern Nevada and the California sierra crest counties of Eldorado, Nevada, and Placer

Cat's out of the bag + Service note

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 04:21 PM
gizzer777
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cat's out of the bag + Service note

Ok, the cat is out of the bag.

I bought another Mini....this time a PW/PW (with sunroof) Mini S so that the women of our group cannot run up and 'goose" me as they could with my regular MC! THINK OF MY 1ST MC AS A TUNEUP FOR WHAT WAS TO COME!

This one is a 2004 and loaded up pretty nicely...ONLY 18K MILES TOO! renomojo saw it today when I met her to drop off a part for her.. nThis one has almost all the goodies excepy a NAV...The "S" was my main motivation,. but the 2 tone heated leather seats, HK Audio, xenon lighting, rain sensing wipers etc., did not really hurt the sale!

NOW FOR A SERVICE NOTE.

1ST THING I DO WHEN GETTING A 'NEW" USED VEHICLE, IS TO DO A MINI (NO PUN) SERVICE!

As most of US have suspected, the service interval that Mini provides, just is not adequate for this part of the country IMHO!

This MINI "S" had 18500 mi when I got it, and had a service performed, according to Niello's records. There is about 8150 mi left on the service reminder, which would appear to indicate that a service was done at the required 15k mi, but not since. This would leave about 7k mi on the engine air filter that was in it when I purchased it (was the regular oem air filter)

After only 8k miles, the air filter was a complete mess...I MEAN A MESS!!!!!!!!! I normally CHG AIR FILTERS ON MUY own vehicles at between 8-10k mi here!

I am going to do an oil chg either tonight or tomorrow, since the parts I purchased for the "now traded" MC are the same as those used in the S. (I use Hengst brand paper filters...nothing better or worse...just good quality)...along wit 5w30 Mobile 1 instead of the recommended Castrol (just a personal habit!)

The oil is pretty dark and I can only assume that the filter is pretty bad too! Even though Niello will do it again this fall...I cannot stress filter changes enough to our MC owners...no matter what MINI says....think of our sand/dust as sandpaper in the engine...can't be doing us too much good!

I am lucky in that any vehicle (used) that I buy, is gone over pretty carefully! (by me).

After all, filters are easy and cheap and can only prolong an engine's life!.

Not really looking forward to doing it, but this time I know what to expect and will be ready! There will NOT be an Exxon Valdez in my garage!

The schedule I follow in Nevada is

OIL and filter between 3-4000 miles.
Air filter - approx 10,000 mi
Plugs at about 15-20k mi! (need to find my torq wrench!)

I would not call this an agressive schedule but one that works for me!

Old 07-06-2006, 06:33 PM
weavee g
Coordinator :: Sierra Nevada Mini Coopers Club Forum
Congrats. on your New Mini,Ha, Ha,...I have same feeling on service intervals..more often is best.. It's just Oil and i change mine often. See u Sunday at 6..glenn

Old 07-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Black and Blue
2nd Gear
I read the other post first so I'll se you sunday. I may have a little car warming gift.PW?????Is that periwinkle or pearl white or pewter white????I'm lost on the PW/PW. I don't speak fluent mini lingo yet but I'm trying. Is it even a color? Oh gosh I hope it's a color and i really hope you bought a new outfit to match it!!!!!!!! Lisa

Old 07-07-2006, 05:12 AM
gizzer777
5th Gear
You know...Pepper white body...Pepper white roof w/ sunroof.

You know there is fun to be had, when there are no open switch spots left on the panel!

Now i HAVE TO WRESTLE SOME NEW DECALS FROM GLEN THOUGH!

Got lucky though...my after market CD Changer works with the HK stereo!!!. Of course my antenna toppers also fit! This one is pretty decked out with the auto rain wipers too!! One cool (I mean warm) touch is the leather heated seats.

see all on Sunday I, hope!

Old 07-07-2006, 09:29 AM
renomojo
2nd Gear
I have to admit...Jeff's new PW/PW is completely awesome! I love the PW/PW combination, it looks so clean and simple. And the leather seats are completely sporty and unique. Very cool car! Congrats and welcome to the MCS PW owner's club!

Old 07-07-2006, 11:39 AM
gizzer777
5th Gear
A record?

Originally Posted by weaveeg
Congrats. on your New Mini,Ha, Ha,...I have same feeling on service intervals..more often is best.. It's just Oil and i change mine often. See u Sunday at 6..glenn
Ok Glen:

You would know the answer to this one!

I bought a "regular" Mini in late April of 06 to see if I would like it...Needless to say I loved it since I bought another a few months later! (I must admit...the "S" is a very different auto!)...The other was quick...this thing is FAST and quick!

Is this some type of wierdo record I made up....2 Minis in 3 months?

See ya Sun...(6pm at Bully's in the Meadowood mall?) Gotta remember to "keep my foot out of this one" or someone will have to get me out of jail!

Regards
Jeff