R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Car got backed into

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 05:47 AM
CSP
5th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Car got backed into

My stepdads truck is about 3x the size of the mini so you can't even see my car through his rear windshield. Wondering if anybody can guide me on what all will need replacing?

The passenger side obviously has some bend with that panel gap. Not sure if it's hood or bumper though. I think his truck bumper is above the mini bumper entirely so I think it's the hood. I don't see any coolant leaking even after starting it up and letting it run for a bit. It did sounds like the fan may be rubbing a bit though. Anybody have any thoughts?

Old 08-27-2017, 05:58 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Open the trunk and take a few more pictures. Seeing the radiator and condenser will help more.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:08 AM
CSP
5th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Old 08-27-2017, 07:34 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
I meant hood, thanks for being able to understand my stupidity.

From the second picture it appears that the condenser did not get pushed back. It could be the hood took the brunt of the hit that could mean with a little rearrangement of the hood locks/u-hooks you might get some of your reveals better. In the first batch of pictures cannot really tell if the hood got bent to the right of the headlight and above the license plate.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:09 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
man! that sux

Sorry for the heartbreaking mishap. Per your recount of the incident it looks to me more likely the hood is distorted - buckled slightly upwards on the passenger side. Since it was within the family, I suggest you try to recreate the "crime scene" at exactly where the grisly deed happen. You can see where his bumper height pushes to where on your front end. Poor bonnet must had took most of the blunt.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:37 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
a few thoughts

Before doing anything rash, I caution take your time to properly assess the damage.
  • Think of the weakest link that keep the hood in place. I would check the latch on both the hood and the latch on the chassis box beam for distortion. I think the hood side is weaker.
  • Measure the end to end distance of the hood on passenger side and compare that of the driver side. Would be nice if you can find another Mini as baseline.
  • You can measure distance of the diagonal like framing carpenters do to check squareness.
  • Your damage is likely not as bad as it look.

Got to run!

Old 08-27-2017, 11:14 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Have your stepdad run it over to a bodyshop for an estimate, that is if you trust him to drive it.