Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 09:17 PM
Botschafter
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stuck with wiring

Ok, i'm thinking about adding the combox now. Allreday ordered the parts.
My USB hub will be not needed anymore. Some first questions:

1. The Combox 26 Pin Connector. Only these Pins are needed?
1 Power T30 (Where to find? +12 V const from Radio Harness? Or is T30 found in fusebox for switched +12V?)
14 Ground
10 AUX GND
23 AUX NF L
24 AUX NF R
22 AUX BLNC
25 MIC+
12 MIC-
11 MIC BLNC

I find some more on pinout shematic drawings in this tread. That's a litte bit confusing to me at the moment because of different Wire Color Naming. Combox only get's +12 V Power T30 and no wakeup Signal?
I will rewire MIC and Aux to my own cable when fitting the CANBUS Filter Adapter. Still unsure where to find wire color of MIC + and MIC -. Graphic is switching Cable Color Yellow/Black and no Color for other MIC wire.

Someone able to add correct Cable Pins and Colors for MIC and Aux Wires? All should be found on Radio R1 or not?

Pin on Combobox Plug: 10 AUX GND : R1 Wire Color =
Pin on Combobox Plug: 23 AUX NF L : R1 Wire Color =
Pin on Combobox Plug: 24 AUX NF R : R1 Wire Color =
Pin on Combobox Plug: 22 AUX BLNC : R1 Wire Color =
Pin on Combobox Plug: 25 MIC+ : R1 Wire Color =
Pin on Combobox Plug: 12 MIC- : R1 Wire Color =
Pin on Combobox Plug: 11 MIC BLNC : R1 Wire Color =

Last edited by Botschafter; 04-22-2019 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Stuck with wire colors
Old 04-26-2019, 08:44 PM
Botschafter
1st Gear
Anybody here to help me confirming Combox Plug Pins?

Is MIC + on PIN 25 and MIC - on PIN 12 correct? Because it differs in this thread

Old 05-06-2019, 09:01 PM
Scooter24
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Botschafter
Anybody here to help me confirming Combox Plug Pins?

Is MIC + on PIN 25 and MIC - on PIN 12 correct? Because it differs in this thread
I started this project 2 years ago and just decided to finish it Haha. Once I got the the new head unit in and stuff I just left it. I finally decided to finish the combox install to get bluetooth and everything working. From what I have left over from screenshots from this thread on the wiring I'll post with this message. Hope it helps. The circled part on this pic of the radio harness is where the mic wires are located. If you already knew all this I'm sorry. I probably should have went back and re read all the messages to see what was said.

The following users liked this post:
Botschafter (05-15-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 09:10 PM
Scooter24
4th Gear
On a side note, I'm finally finishing the install after 2 years but my question is once finished can you code the car to read tire pressure? Right now I have had everything installed except the combox. So everything worked except bluetooth streaming and when I go into the setting itll show me that tpms is active on the screen but I wasnt sure if these care were able to be coded to show actual tire pressure or just say that "tpms is active".

Old 05-15-2019, 01:06 AM
Botschafter
1st Gear
Ok, finally retrofitted and coded the Combox Media. Everything works fine exept Microphone for Handsfree.
So i'm stuck with Correct pinout for Handsfree Mic. Can anybody please confirm the correct pinout on Combox and Radio?
Aux, USB and Bluettoth is working fine. Shematics in this thread seems to be wrong. I'm stuck with that or totally stupid

Mic Wires are:
R2 Yellow/Black on PIN 7 <- to -> Combox PIN 12
R2 Green on PIN 12 <- to -> Combox PIN 25

Is that correct?

Last edited by Botschafter; 05-15-2019 at 01:15 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:50 AM
Botschafter
1st Gear
Ok, i finally made it. Mic + / - Wires was fault and i was able to find the right Pins in R2.

Everything is working now, both USB Ports, Bluetooth Handsfree and Music with Combox.
Only Software Update for Combox is not possible right now. perhaps i will find a way to fix that in the future.
Connection schematic picture in this thread was not correct for my car. Exactly MIC + / - was wrong. So i measured the correct wiring and have corrected the following schematic picture.

Thanks a lot to this thread and all your helpfull hints and tips.

Last edited by Botschafter; 05-19-2019 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:01 AM
Fraser
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi guys,

I have all parts (CIC and combox) fitted to my LCI 2011 car and working for the most part now (originally just had boost radio) - can anybody just confirm the coding procedure/steps should be as follows (I don't want to use an emulator)?

1. Change VO to include the following:
$6FP – Mini Visual Boost
$6NE – Bluetooth and USB Audio
$6NF – Smartphone Integration
$6NM – Mini Connected
$6UH – Traffic Information
$6VC – Control Combox
$6UM – Mini Navigation System

2. Change VIN in CIC/Combox to match car using tool32

3. Default code the CIC (SG-Coderen on the CIC ECU) using NCSExpert so it recognizes the correct features for the car - this may not be required if updating the VIN? will this make it automatically recognize that I have the HK sound system? Although I'm already getting sound from the speakers straight after the retrofit and VO coding so I assume the CIC is already recognising this?

4. Update CIC to latest software using the glovebox USB port

5. Patch CIC with new FSC Certs to match vehicle VIN.

5. Patch FSC codes using one of the generators

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:50 PM
frozenwaffles
1st Gear
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi, did you ever get this power display to work? how did you code this into the car?

Old 06-06-2019, 03:52 PM
frozenwaffles
1st Gear
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Today coding with icom was done. A new Menu Option with Power Information (in German language Sportanzeigen) is Displayed in Menu with Bordcomputer.
Can someone here tell me how to get this work? It should Display torque and power. It seems this is only available in BMW M Models equiped with a torque sensor wich is not available in the R56.

Hi, did you ever get this power display to work? how did you code this into the car?

Old 06-23-2019, 03:17 PM
Eric Kimminau
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retrofit on 2016 r60

im wanting to add Nav to my 2016 R60.

there are now ~350 posts in this thread.

i think the two important posts are #94 for parts list & #130 for codes..

Is there anyone that would perform the retrofit if I purchased all the parts?

thank you!

Old 06-25-2019, 09:28 AM
Fraser
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does everyone's Mini Connected work after the retrofit?

Davers (02-22-2020)
Old 06-27-2019, 01:15 AM
Botschafter
1st Gear
No for me, i think a FSC Code is required for that. But not shure.

Davers (02-22-2020)
Old 06-27-2019, 04:39 AM
Davers
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Fraser
Does everyone's Mini Connected work after the retrofit?
Yes mine did but I used FSC codes for the retrofit

Old 06-27-2019, 07:02 AM
slademan
4th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
I did a retrofit of a normal mini boost cd player into my 2010. I've got the USB working but need to find where to plug in the tiny three wire aux input goes into the back of the unit. Can anyone here help with that location?

Old 07-22-2019, 09:28 PM
Scooter24
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ahorvath
I had Bluetooth installed with my boost/cd so all I had to do is extend the wires from the radio connector to the combox.

Combox Media 26 POL connector wiring:
1 Power T30
14 Ground
10 AUX GND
23 AUX NF L
24 AUX NF R
22 AUX BLNC
25 MIC+
12 MIC-
11 MIC BLNC

When you extended the aux wires from the radio harness plug down to the combox. Did u cut then or did you remove the pins from the plug and then remove the pin from the wire? I thought I another post u said u removed the pins. I would like to remove the pins from the plug and put the pins into a new plug so if I ever wanted to go back to stock I could just pull the pins again and put them into the factory plug.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:37 PM
Botschafter
1st Gear
I removed the Pins from the plug and wired them to the Combox.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:39 PM
Scooter24
4th Gear
I removed the Pins from the plug and wired them to the Combox.
When u removed the pins, did u snip the pins off the wire?

Old 07-22-2019, 09:41 PM
Botschafter
1st Gear
No i did not do that.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:56 PM
Scooter24
4th Gear
No i did not do that.
How did u attach the pins to wire to extend them? There must be aomthing simple I'm not getting, ha. Also for the MOST connection where did u put access port? Under the driver dash? Passenger dash?

Old 04-17-2020, 07:06 AM
geekd4d
2nd Gear
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I've been debating about doing this with my R60. The one thing stopping me is that I apparently have a lifetime Subscription to Sirius XM that came with the car when I got it used.
Is there a way to save this?
It may not be a deal breaker as I use my phone to stream spotify/google play music for the most part.. But there are days where I really do enjoy SiriusXM

Old 04-17-2020, 07:47 AM
Brad Bedell
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey guys, sorry for checking out. I sold this car and have looked for the photos, but can't find them. It ended up working like OEM with zero issues.

Anyhow, from a technology point of view, this was a pretty easy hookup. At the time, it was pretty expensive. It should be better now as the value of the cars have dropped significantly. Just wire it in according to the diagrams and I believe I covered most of the coding and necessary parts in the original posts.

I don't recall needing a new license for the maps like I did on my 335i. So you should be good with whatever NAV unit you find.

Good luck! Someone pick up where I left off. There seems to be a few people who are interested.
-Brad

The following 2 users liked this post by Brad Bedell:
Davers (09-02-2021), geekd4d (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 08:41 AM
slademan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by geekd4d
I've been debating about doing this with my R60. The one thing stopping me is that I apparently have a lifetime Subscription to Sirius XM that came with the car when I got it used.
Is there a way to save this?
It may not be a deal breaker as I use my phone to stream spotify/google play music for the most part.. But there are days where I really do enjoy SiriusXM

With the level of ability that phones have with GPS why would you bother trying to add nav to your car? Lifetime subscription to XM? If you decide to go with Nav pm me and I'll buy your current OEM radio/CD head unit no questions asked..
In my "personal" opinion I wouldn't bother. *just keep me in mind if you do! Good luck!

geekd4d (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 08:50 AM
geekd4d
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by slademan
With the level of ability that phones have with GPS why would you bother trying to add nav to your car? Lifetime subscription to XM? If you decide to go with Nav pm me and I'll buy your current OEM radio/CD head unit no questions asked..
In my "personal" opinion I wouldn't bother. *just keep me in mind if you do! Good luck!
Oh I get it, Its one of those projects I would love to do, but the cheapskate in me says "Don't get rid of SXM!

I've thought about mounting a tablet in the middle of the speedo for navigation, as I hate the placement of my phone mount (cravenspeed) and I really just want to toss my phone in the center console and have it do magic. (I'm good at android magic)
I was going to go down the route of the aftermarket android head units, but the one I'd want is currently $800 and well.... $800 to me is better spent on other things. I hate the look of the older ones.
Also, I've gone down that route with my previous car and the sound quality just sucked with the chinese units. Also had to de-solder the onboard mic just to get the external to work etc. (then again I could root it, and get it to do what i wanted)

Its all a tossup
Hmm... Now I'm wondering if I can replace it with just a visual boost cluster and drop in an android tablet where the screen is... ADHD brain for the win!

Old 04-17-2020, 09:02 AM
slademan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by geekd4d
Oh I get it, Its one of those projects I would love to do, but the cheapskate in me says "Don't get rid of SXM!

I've thought about mounting a tablet in the middle of the speedo for navigation, as I hate the placement of my phone mount (cravenspeed) and I really just want to toss my phone in the center console and have it do magic. (I'm good at android magic)
I was going to go down the route of the aftermarket android head units, but the one I'd want is currently $800 and well.... $800 to me is better spent on other things. I hate the look of the older ones.
Also, I've gone down that route with my previous car and the sound quality just sucked with the chinese units. Also had to de-solder the onboard mic just to get the external to work etc. (then again I could root it, and get it to do what i wanted)

Its all a tossup
Hmm... Now I'm wondering if I can replace it with just a visual boost cluster and drop in an android tablet where the screen is... ADHD brain for the win!

Lol. ADDERALL is a grand solution to ADHD ...i know from personal life experience. It's a daily medication for me.

As far as the phone mount goes take a look at Gobadges phone mount. I love mine. I also rearrange the hardware so it's mounted to the left of the steering wheel instead of being over the right side vent duct.

Once again I personally prefer the look of my large Speedo over having a NAV screen. My phone speaks to me when using GPS including telling me there's a speed trap ahead. Having NAV requires you to update maps with CD's that aren't cheap. Your phone always has an updated map file.

Please do keep me in mind if you get crazy. I'll buy that head unit right now.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:07 AM
geekd4d
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by slademan
Lol. ADDERALL is a grand solution to ADHD ...i know from personal life experience. It's a daily medication for me.

As far as the phone mount goes take a look at Gobadges phone mount. I love mine. I also rearrange the hardware so it's mounted to the left of the steering wheel instead of being over the right side vent duct.

Once again I personally prefer the look of my large Speedo over having a NAV screen. My phone speaks to me when using GPS including telling me there's a speed trap ahead. Having NAV requires you to update maps with CD's that aren't cheap. Your phone always has an updated map file.

Please do keep me in mind if you get crazy. I'll buy that head unit right now.
yeah, Adderall is a life changer, I was on that in my 30's - Then my insurance decided they weren't going to cover it anymore.
Yeah, that's the same phone holder as the cravenspeed. Mine is on the left too. Just annoyingly in the way for me. damn big phone.
I'll let you know if I go that route! (I know the sxm subscription is key for some folks too)

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.