MINIs & Minis for Sale Need a Mini or a MINI? Want a Mini or a MINI? You're at the right place!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Color:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Private or Vendor Listing:

Part fits (you may select multiples):

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

FS:: Good Deals on CL

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 07:03 AM
rosaymaan
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Year: 2006
Make: MINI
Model: Hardtop
Price: $1
Mileage: 100
Color: red
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): Midwestern

Thanks all for your thoughts - very helpful. I’ll update the thread with what happens. But as burley said onto other cars. Happy hunting!

Old 01-08-2018, 07:13 AM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
These got buried. My 2nd choice on my shopping list just had a price drop. 35k miles, well optioned, factory JCW convertible in perfect condition for $7988!!!!! Someone buy this! One owner, clean carfax/title, non flood/rust state (california). Its bee for sale for 4 months, I'm sure they would take $7500. I would start at $7k and see what they say. Crevier MINI is down the street and you could have them check it out. I looked into this one and talked to various MINI dealerships about maintenance. It was well documented.

http://tinyurl.com/yb7xdguq

First up, in the San Fran area, a '06 JCW DS/DS with leatherette. 114k miles and the chrome exterior option. All for $6k

Last edited by burley; 01-08-2018 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:57 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 736 Likes on 521 Posts
Thumbs up

I've had my eye on that one because it's such a great price and it looks really clean --- was seriously considering flying out for a looksee but I ultimately decided not to, so I never contacted the seller for further info/details, like pictures of the engine bay.

It has been listed on multiple formats for a little over a month.

Last 7 digits =
TL24183

I was attracted to it because it is a tintop with LSD and is "poverty spec" with hardly any options, and I tend to favor spartan minimalism in regards to the options list.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:49 AM
JackMac
6th Gear
Received 307 Likes on 221 Posts
Regarding the ad for the DS/DS JCW, it states that the car has leather and Navi. It has neither. Makes you question what else may be misrepresented?

Old 01-10-2018, 07:23 AM
burley
6th Gear
This is a good example of my technique for scooping Coopers up. This '06 hardtop just got emailed to me (cars.com automatic email updates). Cars.com only shows VIN, mileage, etc. Not much info, but you can run the VIN with a decoder this one has LSD, 6-speed, blue interior/exterior and pretty well optioned (no HK ) .. I didn't see the JCW code when I ran the VIN.

I texted the dealer for photos and they're sending them directly to me before they update their own website/cars.com listing. Sometimes Cars.com wont have photos but if you click on the dealer's website photos are shown. Not the case for this car. Either way, I'll have photos of the car (fingers crossed for JCW) 3-5 days before they update their website or cars.com.

https://tinyurl.com/y7yn2n3c

NO PRICE
Mileage:
Engine:
1.6L I4 16V MPFI SOHC Supercharged
Drivetrain:
FWD
VIN:
WMWRE33566TL20008

Last edited by burley; 01-10-2018 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:32 AM
WGJP
3rd Gear
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by burley
This is a good example of my technique for scooping Coopers up. This '06 hardtop just got emailed to me (cars.com automatic email updates). Cars.com only shows VIN, mileage, etc. Not much info, but you can run the VIN with a decoder and you find that it has LSD, blue int/ext..

I texted the dealer for photos and they're sending them directly to me before they update their own website/cars.com listing. Sometimes Cars.com wont have photos but if you click on the dealer's website photos are shown. Not the case for this car. Either way, I'll have photos of the car (fingers crossed for JCW) 3-5 days before they update their website or cars.com.

NO PRICE
Mileage:
Engine:
Drivetrain:
FWD
VIN:
WMWRE33566TL20008
Nice find! Low mileage, LSD, maybe JCW...because you need another MINI

Old 01-10-2018, 07:35 AM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WGJP
I should state that I'm not interested* in this one. I was going to post photos on here. Have at it! Dont start a bidding war, no one wins. I've already talked with sales, and as soon as they have a minute, they'll send me pics. I'll post pics ASAP. If anyone contacts them, DONT MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT JCW. Its a Jeep dealership, they wont know. Dont give them a reason to ask for more money. Dont even ask if it has a JCW badge. Wait for photos and giggle to yourself if you see a badge.

*Unless it has chrono, english leather, JCW, and HK

Old 01-10-2018, 09:41 AM
rosaymaan
3rd Gear
Lol was just gonna say didn’t you just buy sweet jcw!

Old 01-10-2018, 10:02 AM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rosaymaan
Lol was just gonna say didn’t you just buy sweet jcw!
Not looking, lol.. But I cant help but look at the email updates I get. I got a decent price for my last R52 JCW, and a really good deal on the one I just bought. After I sold leftover accessories/mods its almost break even ($500 difference). Soooooo, having no car payment at the moment, you never know.

It would have to be my dream JCW for me to buy another one, and I would then sell the one I just bought... But, thats all a long shot.

Blue/white roof, black english leather, chrono, chrome exterior, driving lights, all packages, LSD, JCW in perfect condition. Aero kit wouldn't be bad either.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:25 AM
rosaymaan
3rd Gear
So the jcw designation doesn’t show up on th vin search?

Old 01-10-2018, 10:42 AM
AeroJammin
5th Gear
Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Blue/white roof, black english leather, chrono, chrome exterior, driving lights, all packages, LSD, JCW in perfect condition. Aero kit wouldn't be bad either.

In theory, you could source the parts to add the black English leather interior, driving lights, and chrome exterior fairly easily.

Technically, I believe you can add the chrono, but it is involved.

In the meantime, here is a decent JCW in Washington depending on whether or not it really is a “rebuilt” title.

https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/d...449921589.html

Old 01-10-2018, 10:52 AM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rosaymaan
So the jcw designation doesn’t show up on th vin search?
In 06 you could get a factory JCW (would show on vin) or a dealer installed JCW (no vin). They are the exact same car, one is a JCW from the start, the other was originally an S. All factory JCWs had LSD, but a dealer JCW it was an option, as LSD was an option for all S models.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:44 PM
JackMac
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WGJP
Probably not a factory JCW. Configurator shows 16” wheels.

Last edited by JackMac; 01-10-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:23 PM
MCSmoonshine
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by AeroJammin
In the meantime, here is a decent JCW in Washington depending on whether or not it really is a “rebuilt” title.
I can see the response now: "It was in a slight fender bender when a shopping cart hit it in a parking lot". I've yet to come across a car with a "rebuilt" title that wasnt someone trying to hide a salvage under a stupid explanation.

Heres a sweet 05 with 58k on it and the, always awesome, r98s

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...451394456.html

Old 01-10-2018, 04:22 PM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JackMac
Probably not a factory JCW. Configurator shows 16” wheels.
Oh, its definitely not a "factory" JCW, it would have a special code (I forget what that is).. but it might be a dealer installed JCW, which is exactly the same thing, minus LSD. This one happens to have LSD (Cooper S option), so if it got converted into a JCW at the dealer it would be the same in my book. If the owner or dealer installed JCW package, they could have easily swapped the wheels.

I remain an optimist, though the lack of HK is a sign. Not many dealers spec'ed out base stereo in JCWs. Its a weird set of options too. Xenons, rain sensing wipers, heated seats, leather, full toggle (rear fogs), chrome line interior, auto dip mirror w/ homelink, LSD, BUT NO HK???

Old 01-10-2018, 04:30 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
This one popped up the other day in Ft. Lauderdale:

'06 JCW
$7,500

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto...452961486.html

It certainly is eye-catching with a lime green wrap...

Old 01-10-2018, 05:20 PM
JackMac
6th Gear
Oh, its definitely not a "factory" JCW, it would have a special code (I forget what that is).. but it might be a dealer installed JCW, which is exactly the same thing, minus LSD. This one happens to have LSD (Cooper S option), so if it got converted into a JCW at the dealer it would be the same in my book. If the owner or dealer installed JCW package, they could have easily swapped the wheels.

I remain an optimist, though the lack of HK is a sign. Not many dealers spec'ed out base stereo in JCWs. Its a weird set of options too. Xenons, rain sensing wipers, heated seats, leather, full toggle (rear fogs), chrome line interior, auto dip mirror w/ homelink, LSD, BUT NO HK???
Yeah saw that. Looks like a custom order, especially since no sunroof. Dealers rarely would order standard inventory JCWs back then too.

I actually like the spec on the car. Plus Space Blue.

Last edited by JackMac; 01-11-2018 at 04:00 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:06 PM
AeroJammin
5th Gear
Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
I don’t know much about how MC40s show up in the VIN decoders, but this $4200 car is either a MC40 or a red 04, that has every MC40 part on it. If it a real MC40 (with a repainted/covered roof), and has a dealer JCW kit, I’d say it is worth $4k even with the miles.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/ct...448714993.html

Old 01-10-2018, 07:17 PM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AeroJammin
I don’t know much about how MC40s show up in the VIN decoders, but this $4200 car is either a MC40 or a red 04, that has every MC40 part on it. If it a real MC40 (with a repainted/covered roof), and has a dealer JCW kit, I’d say it is worth $4k even with the miles.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/ct...448714993.html
Red seats, extra gauges under the toggles, JCW carbon dash.. looks like an MC40 to me. Good price for a budget JCW *IF* it needs no major work. Paint looks good! 138k miles is low for R53 engines! Some major maintenence is around the corner, but at $4k..

Old 01-11-2018, 09:55 AM
burley
6th Gear
This is a good example of my technique for scooping Coopers up. This '06 hardtop just got emailed to me (cars.com automatic email updates). Cars.com only shows VIN, mileage, etc. Not much info, but you can run the VIN with a decoder this one has LSD, 6-speed, blue interior/exterior and pretty well optioned (no HK ) .. I didn't see the JCW code when I ran the VIN.

NO PRICE
Mileage:
Engine:
Drivetrain:
FWD
VIN:
WMWRE33566TL20008

Looks like the dealer pulled the advert due to entering an incorrect mileage.. Its actually 115k miles

Old 01-11-2018, 11:39 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear

Pretty massive typo there!

Question:

While looking, I came across a car with "lemon history reported" --- should that fact be a redflag for no go?
Or was the car an innocent victim of an angry owner,
and perhaps something to overlook?

It immediately turned me off knowing that it had been reported as a "lemon".

But it's a great price and only has 60,000 miles, although it is in Indiana and I'd be super paranoid about rust and would have to give a thorough and intense inspection.

It's an '06 JCW slicktop with LSD and lounge seats.
$6,477

This one:
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=188018764

Looks great in the photos!

Old 01-11-2018, 11:52 AM
MCSmoonshine
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell

Pretty massive typo there!

Question:

While looking, I came across a car with "lemon history reported" --- should that fact be a redflag for no go?
Or was the car an innocent victim of an angry owner,
and perhaps something to overlook?

It immediately turned me off knowing that it had been reported as a "lemon".

But it's a great price and only has 60,000 miles, although it is in Indiana and I'd be super paranoid about rust and would have to give a thorough and intense inspection.

It's an '06 JCW slicktop with LSD and lounge seats.
$6,477

This one:
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=188018764

Looks great in the photos!
Lemon status can come from just about anything. In california, at least, the requirements for lemoning a car are nothing more than a repeated failure to repair an issue by the dealer OR a total time spent at a dealer for repairs of more than 30 days. It could be anything from a broken power seat (obviously not on a mini) that cant be fixed to the brakes failing multiple times. You should probably be able to figure out what the car was repaired for but its still a gamble.

The following users liked this post:
Oldboy Speedwell (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 01:36 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MCSmoonshine
Lemon status can come from just about anything. In california, at least, the requirements for lemoning a car are nothing more than a repeated failure to repair an issue by the dealer OR a total time spent at a dealer for repairs of more than 30 days. It could be anything from a broken power seat (obviously not on a mini) that cant be fixed to the brakes failing multiple times. You should probably be able to figure out what the car was repaired for but its still a gamble.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking --- would be a toss up between being a legit lemon,
or maybe just a disgruntled former owner filing a claim.

It was built Dec. 2nd 2005, which was a Friday!

You know, the old chestnut: never buy a car that was built on a Monday or a Friday,
on Monday everyone is hungover and on Friday they're anxious to leave!
LOL
Urban Dictionary says:
Friday Car
A poorly built automobile. A piece of junk. The reason behind the name "Friday" is that workers typically had a long week, are tired, and are looking forward to the weekend... therefore, they are a lot more careless with the construction of the vehicle, lending to it's numerous problems.

This typically applies to a make/model of vehicle that is usually of pretty good quality, and the "Friday car" is more the exception than the rule.

Really bad cars can be referred to as "Friday afternoon at 4pm before a three day weekend car".

...and:
Do cars primarily built on a Monday or Friday have lower quality?

In his 1971 book Wheels, Arthur Hailey claims that cars that were primarily assembled on a Monday or Friday would suffer from quality problems due to worker performance/absenteeism issues associated with those days. Now, I realize that this was a work of fiction, but as an origin to this becoming a widely held belief, there are folks at Snopes curious about it (and repeat they have heard this from some un-named source), as well as other random internet forums discussing this "fact". And in 1979, Vance Muse wrote a book called "Don't buy a car made on Monday" which appears to be an advice book!

So, while the origin seems to be a work of fiction, is there any truth to this widely-held belief?

https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/q...-lower-quality

Old 01-11-2018, 04:53 PM
rosaymaan
3rd Gear
qq for you folks.. what kind of premium would you put on a low mileage '06 regular mcs (<25k) vs. same car w/ 50-70k? seems like the range for 50-70k '06 regular MCS is $7-8k... curious what you all would pay for the same car with considerably less wear? that is assuming you can find one

the 15k example (that turned out to be 155k) got me thinking about this...

Old 01-12-2018, 07:46 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
I have seen that MINI on NAM before. Forget where?

Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell
This one popped up the other day in Ft. Lauderdale:

'06 JCW
$7,500

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto...452961486.html

It certainly is eye-catching with a lime green wrap...

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Quick Reply: FS:: Good Deals on CL