General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is MINI going to get rear view camera as standard?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 04:46 AM
TJANK
4th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Most 2017 will have backup camera and all 2018s will.

New Backup Camera Rule: Cameras Will Be Mandatory by 2018

All new cars will include backup cameras by May 2018
Backup cameras designed to prevent potentially deadly backover accidents
Addition of cameras likely to add $40 to $140 to the price of a new car
All new cars must include a backup camera by May 2018. That's the latest from the federal government's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), which recently announced the finalized regulation on backup cameras after years of back-and-forth.

According to NHTSA, standard backup cameras will go a long way toward preventing injury and death, especially among children. Roughly 200 people are killed each year and another 14,000 are injured in so-called backover accidents, when drivers reverse over another person without noticing him or her. The vast majority of the victims are children, largely because their small size makes them hard to see from the driver's seat.

Regulations for better rearward visibility have been under consideration for years. In 2007, Congress signed the Cameron Gulbransen Kids Transportation Safety Act into law, requiring NHTSA to set rear-visibility standards by 2011, but the agency delayed creating the standards for various reasons, in part because of governmental resistance and in part because the organization wanted to make sure that a precise rule could be written.

Now that the rule is written, it mandates that all vehicles under 10,000 pounds include a backup camera by May 2018. It also says that cameras must show a 10-foot-by-20-foot zone behind the vehicle, which most modern backup cameras will have no trouble complying with.

Interestingly, backup cameras were beginning to reach widespread acceptance even without NHTSA's mandate. According to the agency, they're included on around half of all new cars sold today, and data suggests that nearly three-quarters of vehicles will have them by 2018, even with no requirement.

Despite the increasing popularity of cameras, NHTSA says that the mandate will add to the cost of building cars, and that higher cost will likely be passed on to consumers. The agency estimates that its mandate will add around $40 to the price of new vehicles that already include a center display and around $140 to the price of cars that don't. Nonetheless, many believe that this amount is a small price to pay considering the potential benefits that should come from standard backup cameras.

http://www.autotrader.com/car-news/n...by-2018-223739

Old 08-24-2016, 08:16 AM
J Free
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 08-24-2016, 09:37 AM
Tim H (WarDoc)
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 05 convertible. It's hard to see backing up with the top up. I live in Michigan the top is going to be up a lot. I'm looking for a way to mount a display for a backup camera. I've only had the car a few weeks and it is one of the few things I don't like about this car. Please don't tell me I'm lazy or not using my mirrors. There are significant blind spots in that car.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:59 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,004 Likes on 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim H (WarDoc)
I have a 05 convertible. It's hard to see backing up with the top up. I live in Michigan the top is going to be up a lot. I'm looking for a way to mount a display for a backup camera. I've only had the car a few weeks and it is one of the few things I don't like about this car. Please don't tell me I'm lazy or not using my mirrors. There are significant blind spots in that car.
I have the euro blind spot mirror in my R52 and it helps allot. Also has the old R52 factory retrofit kit linked that is NLA, those were the early days of a back up camera option.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...nvertible.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-24-2016, 10:04 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 368 Likes on 311 Posts
Old 08-27-2017, 09:49 AM
BlueCooperS
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Roadster S could use a backup camera when the top is up. The side visibility is worse. I put blind spot mirrors on both sides.