Road Racing Discussion Interested in taking your MINI road racing? Find out what you need to do to get your MINI ready!

3rd Race, 3rd Win ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 06:41 AM
Dave'sMini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Race, 3rd Win ?

Well, My last race at Sebring in September was a mixed bag. My Son, Austin qualified the car for the regional races, and I qualified for the ECR Enduro race. This was his first time in the new car, and he performed well. I was a couple seconds quicker for the enduro qualifing.

The Saturday afternoon enduro started out fine, but inclement weather soon put a damper on it. We were on slicks, and at first in the slight drizzle they were good. Then the skys opened and it was a downpour. Ya know when your on the highway in the rain and people put their flashers on and pull off the road, well, that was Sebring. I was about to come to the pits for the driver change and rain tires(stock tires) but the field was then under control of the safty car and we parked on the back straight for 30 minutes or so, then we started underway again with a black flag all and proceeded to the pit lane and the race was checkered at about the half way mark. The good news is I won my class, the bad news is the race is not official still yet according to ECR rule makers.

Sunday morning, Austin is not feeling well and wants me to do his race. I gladly accept and start behind a SSC Honda Civic SI. On the start, the honda goes left and I go right.. and get caught out on turn 1, falling back about 7 spots. I let the race sort out for a lap and then push to catch the Honda. I catch him and we have a great race, I finally get around him and am pulling away, when a combination of traffic and yellow flags allow him to pass me back and he ends up with the win by a half second. The good news is I went 3 seconds quicker than I qualified, the bad news is the video camera did not get turned on.

The Sunday afternoon race was called to the grid, and sent back because of heavy rain. It wall called to the grid again.. and sent back again because of lighting. The third time it was called we actually went out behind the pace and did 2 laps. The rain was bad and there was much standing water on the track. The spec miata group was in a split start behind the production group and they had cars spining on the pace laps. The stewards called the race, we never got a green flag and followed the pace car down pit road. The next 2 groups did not get their races in either, as the stewards called it a day.

Here is Austin's Qualifing run, really the only video we got that weekend.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...68076157143723

Enjoy !!

Old 10-18-2006, 12:57 PM
DrBob
Neutral
How about the MCS in 07?

How do you think your car will do in 07, should it be reclassified into SSB? You lose the restrictor plate, the ballast, and can use the 17" but heavier wheels?
Dr. Bob

Old 10-18-2006, 03:34 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DrBob
can use the 17" but heavier wheels?
Hoosier now has a 225/40/17 tire, would that help a bit for SSB if the 17's are allowed? I know the 225/45/17 was a bit on the tall side, I don't know if this would work better for Road racing compared to the 205/45/16 R6 or not.

Old 10-19-2006, 06:01 AM
Dave'sMini
2nd Gear
How do you think your car will do in 07, should it be reclassified into SSB? You lose the restrictor plate, the ballast, and can use the 17" but heavier wheels?
Dr. Bob
That is a good question! The loss of 300 lbs will help. The loss of the restrictor plate is good. The 17" wheels, I will have to try and see. It would put more rubber down, and maybe help a tad on cornering speeds. We will have to wait and see in January how it goes. They need to put the brakes on the Solstice, I know that..

Old 10-20-2006, 01:05 PM
DrBob
Neutral
Can you actually get the car down to 2750 lbs.? What is your personal weight, and how much ballast do you have in the car to take it up to 3050?
Dr. Bob

Old 10-20-2006, 01:11 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
My stock 04 was 2456 with SSR comps(stock wheels add 25lbs), so, I'd guess 2750 with Driver would be quite easy, especially without the LSD.

Old 10-23-2006, 06:01 AM
Dave'sMini
2nd Gear
Can you actually get the car down to 2750 lbs.? What is your personal weight, and how much ballast do you have in the car to take it up to 3050?
Dr. Bob
The MINI USA web site says the empty weight on a 06 Cooper S is 2678 lbs.
I now carry 245 lbs of lead and I weigh 145. I have been having to start with full fuel to end up at the legal weight. The mini gets about 8 mpg on the track. Most races I burn about 5-6 gallons. I save a few lbs on the cat-back, and taking out the air bags, and the competition seat. I add a few with the cage. If I run the 17" wheels which I will probably have to, they will add about 6 lbs per corner. We will have to wait and see.