Road Racing Discussion Interested in taking your MINI road racing? Find out what you need to do to get your MINI ready!

Team Onasled and M7

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 05:51 AM
RED FURY
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice Opportunity ... Glad to see you taking it ALL in !!!

Me envious ...I pitted, crewed, drove, sweated and was frustrated ALL by myself at Mid-Ohio on Friday (Lost about 20mph on the straights, JCW intake wires broke, power steering went out, exhaust-header issues)

Minzila was there to watch and shoot the "ship" ..... Car goes in to the dealer today to get "fixed"

Old 08-16-2006, 05:55 AM
djafactor
3rd Gear
Greg, what class are you going to campaign the Mini in?

Amit

Old 08-16-2006, 08:50 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Amit,

I'll be focused towards BMWCCA D Modified. I will also check out NASA GTS (I think that's the class)

Phil.
Yikes... sorry to hear about those problems. Please keep us informed on what the problems just were.

Old 08-16-2006, 02:04 PM
RED FURY
5th Gear
Originally Posted by onasled
Amit,

I'll be focused towards BMWCCA D Modified. I will also check out NASA GTS (I think that's the class)

Phil.
Yikes... sorry to hear about those problems. Please keep us informed on what the problems just were.
I just got off the phone with MINI dealer ...burned out CAT and I need a new power steering pump, pump replcaed under warranty/ MINI-USA, I will get a new CAT for my header and hope that fixes it ... Meanwhile stock manifold goes back on

Old 08-16-2006, 02:23 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good deal Phil! I've heard of several power steering pumps failing though. Maybe something the aftermkt can address?

Old 08-16-2006, 02:33 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, first things first.... , I call it team "onasled", but I'm open to ideas from my friends here on NAM....

I consider today to be a big start for this project. Peter, of M7, has been a great support to date and we have made some very encouraging steps in the last few days toward a very 'cool' race car. Truly, I couldn't have asked for a better supporter for team onasled, as M7 has gone out of their way to help me try and meet my goals, which are ones that I believe will make this Mini community proud. The fact is that it has been your support here that did in fact help me with this God awful decision of campaigning my Mini S rather then just buying a track prepared M3 . I feel that many of the members of NAM should truly feel a connection with this car. Always know that you are more then welcome to feel as though you are part of this team.

As things are going now, it looks like we may not be hitting the track until mid to late spring. Wish it were sooner, but this project's goals have been raised in the past month and I have had to put it on hold untill I new exactly what I was ending up doing. It's also important for me to not rush and then have a car with issues on the track. I'll be hitting as many DEs as possible before I enter a race. This car will be very different from what it was, and it may take me some good track time to feel comfortable enough to get it in the way of others in a race. .
You can count on some great new videos.
Some updates:
  • Today the new '05 transmission came in. It's still sitting in the back of the Suburban. What a nice tidy package this Mini tranny is. Easy enough for one person to carry around.
  • Various parts have started to litter the shop, such as a new ATL 12 gal. aluminum fuel cell, fire suppression system, Tilton pedal set, Kirkey series 55 seat, and a pile of 1.75x.95 DOM steel tubing.
  • Peter called today with some very encouraging news on something that, to me, will be the coolest part of this car. I really don't want to say more about it yet though... All I can say is that this project will be bring the Mini community some new and very cool parts via M7.
I've got some photos from this last week still in the camera that I will work on getting the computer. I hope to have a web site up shortly.
Greg V
so .... if we all make a donation to team onasled will that help defeat the critics? ....bingo!!!! seriously i'll only end up buying beer .

Old 08-16-2006, 06:42 PM
Paulo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RED FURY
I just got off the phone with MINI dealer ...burned out CAT and I need a new power steering pump, pump replcaed under warranty/ MINI-USA, I will get a new CAT for my header and hope that fixes it ... Meanwhile stock manifold goes back on
Hi Phil, sorry to here you had problems.
I have had the power steering fan go out which cause the power steering to fail during a race...not fun.
Also had two headers fail with melted cats, track speeds I discovered will destroy the cats. I have since gone to headers without the cat, no more problems.
Remember, my car has not been street-legal for long time....pretty soon you will have to decide on turning your car into a track car only.
Good luck,
Steve

Old 08-18-2006, 04:29 AM
RED FURY
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Paulo
Hi Phil, sorry to here you had problems.
I have had the power steering fan go out which cause the power steering to fail during a race...not fun.
Also had two headers fail with melted cats, track speeds I discovered will destroy the cats. I have since gone to headers without the cat, no more problems.
Remember, my car has not been street-legal for long time....pretty soon you will have to decide on turning your car into a track car only.
Good luck,
Steve

Yes,,, I will

I get the car back today, with the stock manifold back on... and a bill for replacement O2 sensor, gasket (melted) and labor .... I will have to wait for a new CAT to be sent and some welding to be done

Old 08-18-2006, 07:35 AM
Petrich
4th Gear
Same thing happened to me

Paulo and Red Fury,

Melted the matrix in MINI's CAT last year during an enduro track day. Haven't heard of other failures, except yours. But, not surprised at all.

Replaced the CAT in my MINI with a stock item but welded flanges in the appropriate places. Now, I replace the CAT at the trackside with a "track pipe" and reinstall the CAT for the drive home. Glad that I did and have had no more problems. Want to keep my MINI as a dual purpose car. Here is the link that I posted if anyone is interested: http://www.bmwpugetsound.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=30302

Regards,
John Petrich in Seattle

Old 08-18-2006, 10:18 AM
RED FURY
5th Gear
John,

I know of several more people in the same boat over the years, mainly with headers ...burned out CATs

I lost 20 mph in top end speed, lots of torque and HP, but still had a good track outing !!!!

here is what you need:

http://www.mini-madness.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=166

Old 08-18-2006, 11:47 AM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
Petrich-

Cheers to you for being responsible and running a cat when your off the track. It's a small sacrifice to make.

Old 09-01-2006, 07:52 PM
onasled
Banned
Aaaaahhhh, got to drive a friend's Mini today.
Really, it's been so long that I forgot what a great car this is.
Needles to say, I left some fresh tire marks down my road

Old 09-02-2006, 08:36 AM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
is your car all done and almost ready to go?

Old 09-02-2006, 08:46 AM
onasled
Banned
Originally Posted by FlynHawaiian
is your car all done and almost ready to go?
None of the above unfortunatly. I've had a nightmare of a time getting my shocks and still am missing several other major parts. Both my builder and crew chief have had medical issues this last month so the car has been a bit idle. It's driving me nuts, but I'm still very excited to get the job done. This car will be pretty killer.
Thanks for asking.

Old 09-03-2006, 05:12 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Aaaaahhhh, got to drive a friend's Mini today.
Really, it's been so long that I forgot what a great car this is.
Needles to say, I left some fresh tire marks down my road
Come on out to L.A Greg and you can use my car to keep your skillz up anytime

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 09-07-2006, 12:24 PM
pbraun
5th Gear
So, who is PLN's engine builder? Dave A?

Old 09-08-2006, 05:55 AM
onasled
Banned
Originally Posted by pbraun
So, who is PLN's engine builder? Dave A?
No Peter. It's Larry Liefert. Wasn't always him though. He did it in that past and is now doing it again. Dave A may have been doing it in between?

Old 09-08-2006, 11:43 AM
onasled
Banned
Originally Posted by herbie hind
so .... if we all make a donation to team onasled will that help defeat the critics? ....bingo!!!! seriously i'll only end up buying beer .
..what???

Old 09-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Hey Greg,
I found these while checking out a friend's pics from Lime Rock, do you remember this...?

Images courtesy of Peter Wan aka Uptick.

Last edited by onasled; 09-15-2007 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:58 PM
onasled
Banned
.... ahhhhh, those were the days...

Actually that's before the major mods went in and the car was still bearable on the street.
Thanks Joaquin. Was really good seeing you at LRP. Once again, just wish it was not such a short one.
Thanks for your help also with the race car project..

Old 09-08-2006, 01:13 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Actually that's before the major mods went in
I love how all of this falls into the category of "minor mods" then:

Partial roll cage, F/R BBK, M7 aero wing, wheels/tires, exhaust (and that's only the stuff that is visible)

Last edited by dave; 09-08-2006 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:27 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
.... ahhhhh, those were the days...

Actually that's before the major mods went in and the car was still bearable on the street.
Thanks Joaquin. Was really good seeing you at LRP. Once again, just wish it was not such a short one.
Thanks for your help also with the race car project..
Anytime Greg, I'm just a PM away.
I thought you might like to see those pics.

Dave, very good point. I didn't even think of that.

Old 09-16-2006, 01:14 PM
RED FURY
5th Gear
Here is what a burned out CAT looks like ... stuck in there solid and extruded out, pulled the O2 sensor with it

Old 09-16-2006, 08:23 PM
Petrich
4th Gear
how did it happen?

Red Fury,

How did this happen to your CAT?

The same thing happened to my CAT after a 90 minute "enduro" track session. The reason I stopped the session was to leave the track to buy more gas!

I'm interested in your experience because I am thinking of doing track days again with my CAT in place. This year have been using a track pipe, but, it is a hassle to keep removing the CAT and installing the track pipe for every track day. Don't want to trash my CAT again. Why did your CAT fail?

John Petrich in Seattle

Old 09-16-2006, 09:03 PM
justintime
6th Gear
wow, im glad I found this =]

Quick Reply: Team Onasled and M7