R61 :: Paceman Talk R61 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R61 Bike Rack for Paceman

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 02:12 PM
iconoclast6
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope the the hitch/receiver problem works out quickly.

Wish Mini had considered bike mount options more carefully and less expensively.

Best,

Chuck

Originally Posted by Eds not-so-red MINI
It probably would work, I just don't want to take any chances. I'm carrying two comfort bikes at about 32 lbs each. I feel better with the stability of a hitch-mounted rack, plus the platform type will keep the bikes straight and flat instead of all goofy like hanging every which way. I got no problem with quirky, but that really looked a little silly.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:23 PM
chanclor
2nd Gear
I agree with Ed, better safe than sorry. I used to use those bike racks that mounted to the trunk/hatch - but I had horrible scratch marks from the clips rubbing. Of course I probably left it on there too long, but I have never used one of those since then. I know it costs too much, but I spent the money on the Mini version. I would be heart broken if I got scratches or dents from the rack.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:57 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
I'm a triathlete and a competitive road cyclist. I have the factory roof rack base on my Countryman, with Rocky Mounts bike trays. I sm mot at all a fan of strap on racks. Previous experience (before I had MINIs) was that they scratch the heck out of the car. I've slso known people who got rear ended and had their bike destroyed. I'd rather not chance that with a $10,000 bike. The roof for me is the best place.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:25 PM
13PacemanS
1st Gear
I prefer just putting mine inside my Paceman in the back with the rear seats folded. Just need to remove the front wheel. No worries about it being stolen when mounted outside. But I haven't tried carrying 2 back there.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:40 PM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 13PacemanS
I prefer just putting mine inside my Paceman in the back with the rear seats folded. Just need to remove the front wheel. No worries about it being stolen when mounted outside. But I haven't tried carrying 2 back there.
I haven't tried to actually fit it, but I measured mine from the bottom of the front fork to the edge of the rear wheel -- I'm about 4" too short. Bike without front wheel is 57", while the front seat to the hatch is about 53". Plus I usually take two bikes, which leaves even less room. I gotta do a rack of some kind.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:51 PM
13PacemanS
1st Gear
Here's a cool idea from a BMW concept car for an internal 2-bike rack.
Maybe it will eventually migrate to a future Paceman.

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2013/07/11...and+Podcast%29

Old 07-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Quixter
2nd Gear
I finally got the MiniFini hitch installed. I'm pretty happy with the results.You can see that we didn't have to cut much of the bumper at all. It's a 2 inch Hitch which gives it more options.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-001-78276.jpg

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-002-78277.jpg

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-006-78278.jpg

Last edited by Quixter; 07-24-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:36 PM
gremlin
2nd Gear
Looks great, I think I still want the 1.25" hitch just because it can be hidden that much easier, hoping for something like their Aero Link countryman hitch.

I've put a call in, talked to someone there (Maybe John, I'm really bad with names) and the fellow there was great on the phone. He's going to have the other guy (Randall?) call me back since he didn't know the info.

We'll see if they're better with the phone than they are with e-mail

Old 07-26-2013, 11:40 AM
gremlin
2nd Gear
Russell did call me back last night, finally hooked up with him via phone this morning and we discussed my requirements. He believes the Countryman Aerolink will do work for me and do what I want. So I'm going to order one from them and give it a shot.

Will post the results

Old 07-26-2013, 02:36 PM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by iconoclast6
Hope the the hitch/receiver problem works out quickly.

Wish Mini had considered bike mount options more carefully and less expensively.

Best,

Chuck
Got the Curt 1.25" hitch installed a few weeks back on the wife's Countryman, and then got the Thule 917XTR T2 . Fits and works great ... very sturdy. The Curt hitch sits under the rear valance, so there's no cutting needed.

Haven't had a chance to get pics yet -- haven't even taken the bikes out since we got everything installed because either the weather or our schedules haven't been cooperating. I'll try to post pics soon. It is a bit of an expensive solution; the total $$$ for the hitch, installation and bike rack are about the same as the MINI bike rack alone, but now I have the added flexibility of a tow hitch.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:43 PM
Quixter
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gremlin
Russell did call me back last night, finally hooked up with him via phone this morning and we discussed my requirements. He believes the Countryman Aerolink will do work for me and do what I want. So I'm going to order one from them and give it a shot.

Will post the results
Glad to hear it. Interested in seeing the results. Once we got the early communication issues resolved. I found them great to work with.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:14 PM
gremlin
2nd Gear
Got the Curt 1.25" hitch installed a few weeks back on the wife's Countryman, and then got the Thule 917XTR T2 . Fits and works great ... very sturdy. The Curt hitch sits under the rear valance, so there's no cutting needed.

Haven't had a chance to get pics yet -- haven't even taken the bikes out since we got everything installed because either the weather or our schedules haven't been cooperating. I'll try to post pics soon. It is a bit of an expensive solution; the total $$$ for the hitch, installation and bike rack are about the same as the MINI bike rack alone, but now I have the added flexibility of a tow hitch.
I had a look at the mini solution and was not convinced it would hold my bikes (I'm a mountain biker, we use wide wide bars these days), and it looks like it was likely I couldn't fit my bike on without hitting the rear of the car.

One of the reasons I picked the Paceman first was because the on-line configurator clearly shows a tow hitch as standard equipment (per previous discussions on this) and I was quite surprised when I found that their "Bike rack prep" Despite having a clear picture of a hitch was in fact not a hitch. There's a bit of false advertising there, if I hadn't noticed and asked the sales person about this before I ordered I'd be super pissed when the car got here without one.

-R

T2's are awesome racks, had one for years for my various other cars. You'll be happy with it.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:37 PM
Quixter
2nd Gear
I had a look at the mini solution and was not convinced it would hold my bikes (I'm a mountain biker, we use wide wide bars these days), and it looks like it was likely I couldn't fit my bike on without hitting the rear of the car.

One of the reasons I picked the Paceman first was because the on-line configurator clearly shows a tow hitch as standard equipment (per previous discussions on this) and I was quite surprised when I found that their "Bike rack prep" Despite having a clear picture of a hitch was in fact not a hitch. There's a bit of false advertising there, if I hadn't noticed and asked the sales person about this before I ordered I'd be super pissed when the car got here without one.

-R

T2's are awesome racks, had one for years for my various other cars. You'll be happy with it.

One of the things I learned while working with MiniFini is that the UK versions do have a tow hitch as a factory installed option. MiniFinis hitch is similar in design.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:37 PM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Quixter
One of the things I learned while working with MiniFini is that the UK versions do have a tow hitch as a factory installed option. MiniFinis hitch is similar in design.
WTF is up with that, MINI USA??!!!!

Maybe they've been to Walmart and seen the kind of retards who would try to pull a 3-ton camper with a MINI ....

Old 07-27-2013, 06:00 PM
Quixter
2nd Gear
WTF is up with that, MINI USA??!!!!

Maybe they've been to Walmart and seen the kind of retards who would try to pull a 3-ton camper with a MINI ....
LOL, it has something to do with US regulations, there are a lot of different options between the UK and US Mini's.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:51 PM
gremlin
2nd Gear
So the Saga with MiniFini continues. I ordered the country link aero last week after Russel told me it would most probably work, and they had plenty in stock. Yesterday after hearing nothing for nearly a week (I ordered it last Friday) I called to check status, they said they were checking and would call me back later in the day. They did not.

Today at 1pm I got an e-mail from them that the country-link Aero had been made in small quantity and they wouldn't be making more for "several weeks", did I still want to order it? I don't understand why Russel told me they had them, and why it took a week to figure out they didn't have them.

So now I think I'll probably talk to a local fab shop and see what can be made.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Quixter
2nd Gear
Can't blame you there. I know why they likely won't be making any for a couple weeks. They are headed out to Colorado for the mini in the mountains event,.... but still.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:37 AM
gremlin
2nd Gear
So I took delivery of my JCW Paceman on Tuesday and have had a good look at it. There's a really cool slot in the rear diffuse where a 1.25" hitch should fit perfectly, so it will be really nicely tucked away when not in use.

I'm having a local shop called TorkLift Central who makes custom hitches for Tesla's and other specialty vehicles build me a custom hitch, apparently they have not only the high-pressure brakes but also computer controlled plasma torches for cutting the brackets. I'll post some pictures of it once it's done.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:26 PM
gremlin
2nd Gear
Here's the custom hitch on my car. Done by torklift central in Washington

Attached Thumbnails Bike Rack for Paceman-image-2234403233.jpg   Bike Rack for Paceman-image-2889719263.jpg   Bike Rack for Paceman-image-55423654.jpg  
Old 08-26-2013, 04:21 AM
Quixter
2nd Gear
Looks Good! Glad it worked out for you.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:38 AM
Tata Steva
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Coopercrap.com has another option for hitch. It is designed for Countryman and does not require elaborate dismounting of rear bumper skin and installation, rather just using two mounting points for OEM bike rack... Clean, removable,...

http://www.coopercrap.com/countryman-hitch/

I am leaning towards that solution as I have no desire to take off the bumper, possibly cut the trim plastic (mine is not a JCW Paceman), and deal with all plastic plugs and clips while mounting the bumper skin back (I did all of that with my previous Clubman S... Got it out of my system)...

Old 08-30-2013, 07:25 PM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Tata Steva
Coopercrap.com has another option for hitch. It is designed for Countryman and does not require elaborate dismounting of rear bumper skin and installation, rather just using two mounting points for OEM bike rack... Clean, removable,...

http://www.coopercrap.com/countryman-hitch/

I am leaning towards that solution as I have no desire to take off the bumper, possibly cut the trim plastic (mine is not a JCW Paceman), and deal with all plastic plugs and clips while mounting the bumper skin back (I did all of that with my previous Clubman S... Got it out of my system)...
I considered that; but the problem is, that hitch sticks out much farther than a conventional set-up. So when you add a hitch-mounted bike rack to it, it hangs out way past the back of the car. Not trying to talk you out of it, just something to keep in mind when considering the options.

I went with a Curt hitch on my wife's Countrymay and had a local custom shop install it. I think it took them about three hours, and there was no trimming needed on any of the plastic. It's solid and looks good. Cost a bit more, but the hitch and Thule rack still cost less than the MINI bike rack.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:55 AM
Tata Steva
5th Gear
I considered that; but the problem is, that hitch sticks out much farther than a conventional set-up. So when you add a hitch-mounted bike rack to it, it hangs out way past the back of the car. Not trying to talk you out of it, just something to keep in mind when considering the options.

I went with a Curt hitch on my wife's Countrymay and had a local custom shop install it. I think it took them about three hours, and there was no trimming needed on any of the plastic. It's solid and looks good. Cost a bit more, but the hitch and Thule rack still cost less than the MINI bike rack.
Not concerned about "extra hanging" at the rear... Depending on the type of bike rack used, the total "bulk" at the rear of the car can be further or closer to the car. OEM rack has the same idea of mounting. I am just not sold on the price of it or design of the rack... Plus, I have seen a few Countryman owners on this forum with this solution, no complaints.

Again, I don't want to do install of hidden design again, did that. Taking a car to shop for somebody else to do it, not an option (not paying somebody for work I can do )...

Old 09-02-2013, 04:57 PM
gremlin
2nd Gear
So the reason I didn't go with the external hitch option is it breaks the system up. Now I have to line up two holes and thread the bolts in. Then put the bike rack in the hitch and put it in place.

It didn't seem to me you could keep the hitch and rack attached and easily do this. Also I was worked about clearance on the back side of the hitch where the rack would go through.

My hitch required no cutting of body work.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Tata Steva
5th Gear

My hitch required no cutting of body work.
JCW kit at the rear Has a gap for hitch to "peak out"... Not the case with "S" or "Justa" bumper. Surgery needed...

Quick Reply: R61 Bike Rack for Paceman