R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Oil leak from topside air intake duct? Is that possible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 12:02 PM
Blu-Mini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Oil leak from topside air intake duct? Is that possible?

My first oil leak! It seems to be coming from inside the air duct that runs near the passenger side of the air filter housing. There is a hose clamp there that I disconnected (see photos) and I noticed some oil inside that duct. It was leaking down and pooling inside that bolt head that is recessed into the topside engine support (?). It then found its way down to the ground by dripping off what I think is the motor mount just behind the oil pan. Drips about 1-3 drops per hour.

Can anyone help on where this is coming from? Why would it be inside that duct? Help!!

2013 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4
66,000 miles
No past issues of any kind

I separated the hose and noticed small amount of oil inside.

See oil pooling on top of bolt head. Dripping from above into bolt area. Not leaking at bolt.

Bottom of car, leaking off motor mount bolt right behind oil pan. Path of least resistance.

Bottom of car, leaking off motor mount bolt right behind oil pan. Path of least resistance.

Old 03-30-2021, 12:37 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 1,403 Posts
That is your throttle inlet pipe. If you have oil coming out there, you have bigger problems than just the oil running down the back of the engine. The only way it can get there is by travelling down from the turbo, through the intercooler, and up into that pipe. You would have to have some serious oil blow-by to have it reaching up there.

Old 03-30-2021, 02:43 PM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Received 541 Likes on 412 Posts
Need to check your intercooler, it’s got oil in it too. I would pull the pipe rest of the way down to the throttle body and you might want to check that as well.

Old 04-01-2021, 06:27 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts
What could cause that degree of blow-by?

Old 04-06-2021, 07:18 PM
navwizard
2nd Gear
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Does the exhaust puff blue when first starting or when idling a long time?
That would indicate valve stems seals, a known issue. I used Forte and it fixed mine,

Also pull the hose off off your valve cover that goes to the intake, see what kind of oil is in there. A PCV failure might be letting excessive oil into the intake.

That's the cheap stuff, then you are into things like the turbo bearing leaking, which is expensive.

Old 05-26-2024, 09:52 AM
Elixjim
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leak topside air intake duct

Originally Posted by Blu-Mini
My first oil leak! It seems to be coming from inside the air duct that runs near the passenger side of the air filter housing. There is a hose clamp there that I disconnected (see photos) and I noticed some oil inside that duct. It was leaking down and pooling inside that bolt head that is recessed into the topside engine support (?). It then found its way down to the ground by dripping off what I think is the motor mount just behind the oil pan. Drips about 1-3 drops per hour.

Can anyone help on where this is coming from? Why would it be inside that duct? Help!!

2013 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4
66,000 miles
No past issues of any kind

I separated the hose and noticed small amount of oil inside.

See oil pooling on top of bolt head. Dripping from above into bolt area. Not leaking at bolt.

Hello! I hope you fixed the issue.

Can you please tell me if you could fix it? I have the same issue, i have Countryman 2016 S all4 with 40k miles