R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Please help!! (videos), Possible Timing chain & Water pump issue

Old 05-21-2014, 11:17 AM
svntsvn
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help!! (videos), Possible Timing chain & Water pump issue

I'm reposting this twice, due to the videos getting in the way, and the content being rather long winded, which resulted in views, no comments. Apologies in advance, as it double posted on another thread, but the post was a total fail, I could really use some feedback from owners suffering the n14/n18 noises, failures.

There are two videos, one at cold startup with ac on, and another at normal operating temp, ac turned off.

1. Can you comment on the sound at shutoff? There's a squeak, which happens when shutting the vehicle off. This is the noise that worries me, since water pumps are still going in the 2014 models very early.

2. What do you think about the sound of the engine at warm idle? Ive suffered a rough idle for some time now, told it's normal by the dealer, hard to buy when its been getting louder, and feels like its off timing. I'm aware of loud injectors, & the rattling wastegate during warm up.

Current status:There is no cel light, and the tac isnt jumping around. This is the early build that had the n14 tensioner replaced. The car has new oxygen sensors, dme, maf sensor, solenoid and wiring harnesses with the latest flash.

Trying the shortcode this time, hopefully the video doesnt bork the post.

Thanks.

-G

Last edited by svntsvn; 05-21-2014 at 11:19 AM. Reason: video posted wrong
Old 05-25-2014, 05:05 PM
Whitephoenix
1st Gear
What I've experienced.

I understand your concern about the engine but trust me that's normal.
I recently added a oil additive in my engine and threw all sorts of cel codes and ended up having to take it to the dealership. Long story sort I clogged up a VANOS solenoid and had to replace in and it's unit.

This is a video of a cold start after the dealership worked on it.
Timing was 1/8 off. I always talk to the mechanic. Never the service rep.

------Don't use this stuff!!!------
Name:  E93A46E5-5D4A-4995-9AF3-7DD19C0D8282_zpsb9qtjg1d.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  46.4 KB

Proof(cars is at 52000 miles so I had to pay out of pocket)
Name:  9F5970F0-50A7-406B-BDC0-304F9576E8C6_zpsq88eaenh.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  88.8 KB

Just wanna let the NAM community know so it doesn't happen to anybody else.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:25 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yea, don't put crap in your engine.. As to the OP, that shutdown noise IS NORMAL. I didn't hear anything "funny", Mini engines make a ton of disconcerting racket.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:41 PM
Whitephoenix
1st Gear
Found out the hard way

I had a dodge ram 1500, I would put the oil additive in before an oil change to clean it out. Worked like a charm. Learned the hard way with the mini.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:46 PM
svntsvn
2nd Gear
The countryman is being diagnosed for the "squeak" at shut down. Maybe the video doesnt do it justice, but nonetheless, it's not normal, unless you are driving unkle buck's beater. Totally in agreement with the inherent noises, the prince engine is "special" to say the least.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:20 PM
AAAMINI
3rd Gear
My 2013 makes the exact same squeak at shut down. Asked the dealer and they said its normal as it is the vanos solenoid resetting it self. As far as the noise during startup, mine sounds like a racket but after a minute or so, it sounds the same as any other similar MINIs I've heard.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:18 PM
svntsvn
2nd Gear
Exclamation

They replaced the pulley, noise is still there, so now they are waiting on an order for a new water pump.

I think the vanos, sounds more like a click (door lock sound), not familiar with one failing. I have a little experience with it making one noise in particular. I thought I was hallucinating, hearing what sounded like door locks when I'm in the garage, or driveway, vehicle has been off for a while. I've had the key fob in my pocket make the noise when I hit the button by accident bending over, etc, then I realized it was happening absent of the key fob, ha. I guess it can take up to 20 minutes for the vehicle to go to "sleep".

I'd check yours, most every issue ive had is "normal" until a failure occurs, or it can be replicated by a tech. I simply cant ignore something that wasnt there previously. I was able to diagnose my failing water pump by searching r56 threads, I dont think I came across a working video of the noise. If it doesnt pass the sniff test, take it back. I'm pretty sure a 2014 had one go at 4k miles, so it can happen. If the squeak is new, dont file it under normal.

High pressure fuel pump, timing chain tensioner leak, clutch shim, clutch kit, 2 wiring harnesses, dme, oxygen sensors, maf sensor, pulley, water pump, coolant temp sensor, aux water pump, oil pump solenoid, numerous interior rattles, transmission shift linkage, fork & various other parts. More I cant remember off the top of the head. There's more, a major one, still cant be diagnosed yet, waiting on that to no longer be filed under "normal". Just had the second oil change, the kuntreemang, has an obvious case of stockholm syndrome, life locked up in the garage, is where it feels at home.

Last edited by svntsvn; 05-29-2014 at 09:31 PM.