R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Exhaust Diameter

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 09:06 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Exhaust Diameter

Anyone measure the exhaust after the 2nd Cat and resonator? I have a straight pipe welded in place of those pieces and its just a tad too loud on the highway so I'm putting a 2.25" x 18" vibrant resonator on. The straight pipe that got welded in has a slight bend in it and the resonator wont fit correctly because I am using clamps. So I'd like to put it just after that section where it's nice and straight to the muffler but I've seen some people say the pipes are less than 2.25" back there. Just wondering before I cut this up tonight and the clamps don't hold. Thank you!

Old 03-24-2017, 09:58 AM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
Good Question, I'd like to know this as well before any crazyness

Old 03-28-2017, 07:46 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
So I got under her the other day and measured 55mm OD on the stock piping. The short piece that my exhaust shop welded in was 57mm. I ended up cutting into the 57mm pipe that was welded in place of my 2nd Cat and resonator, it was very thick which may have accounted for the extra 2mm but was closer to 2.25". Vibrant 1791 18" resonator slipped over the pipe nicely with the back needing just a little encouragement. It quieted things down very nicely. I think this is the perfect cheap exhaust for those looking for some new sounds. Catless DP, vibrant 1791 in place of second cat and resonator going to stock muffler. I'll try and get some clips at lunch today. Sounds great and only a slight hint of drone on highway around 2100 rpm in 6th while going uphill. Very circumstantial but thought I'd note. Butt dyno says she got a little something extra from removing those crush bends that shop had put in.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:33 AM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cstrumol
So I got under her the other day and measured 55mm OD on the stock piping. The short piece that my exhaust shop welded in was 57mm. I ended up cutting into the 57mm pipe that was welded in place of my 2nd Cat and resonator, it was very thick which may have accounted for the extra 2mm but was closer to 2.25". Vibrant 1791 18" resonator slipped over the pipe nicely with the back needing just a little encouragement. It quieted things down very nicely. I think this is the perfect cheap exhaust for those looking for some new sounds. Catless DP, vibrant 1791 in place of second cat and resonator going to stock muffler. I'll try and get some clips at lunch today. Sounds great and only a slight hint of drone on highway around 2100 rpm in 6th while going uphill. Very circumstantial but thought I'd note. Butt dyno says she got a little something extra from removing those crush bends that shop had put in.
Did you happen to grab a few pics

Old 03-28-2017, 08:41 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Old 03-28-2017, 10:29 AM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear
That looks like a very clean install.

I'm looking at increasing the diameter by somewhere between 2.5 and 2.75" and keep droning to almost none and hopefully get a little more push, I'm looking to keep the catted downpipe and move to a larger diameter resonator (just to accommodate the new diameter pipe) and maybe do a Muffler delete or find something find something that calls out to me

Old 03-28-2017, 11:53 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MannyJimenez
That looks like a very clean install.

I'm looking at increasing the diameter by somewhere between 2.5 and 2.75" and keep droning to almost none and hopefully get a little more push, I'm looking to keep the catted downpipe and move to a larger diameter resonator (just to accommodate the new diameter pipe) and maybe do a Muffler delete or find something find something that calls out to me
It has been noted that the main restriction in the exhaust system is the first cat, so if looking for performance you will need to go catless or get a hi-flow. Anything after that is really just for sound. Plenty of people running 250hp on stock sized pipes with cats/resonator removed. After the first cat the main bottlenecks are by the first clamp and flex joint where it has been noted to neck down to under 2". I think with a hi-flow DP, true 2.25" from DP to a resonator and stock pipes back will get you a very nice gain. Of course all of this is minimal gains until you get a tune.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:39 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
good info, I may have to get the ultra quiet for us 6spd since our rpm at highway speed is like 2800

Old 03-29-2017, 12:05 PM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Saltysalt
good info, I may have to get the ultra quiet for us 6spd since our rpm at highway speed is like 2800
I think I would have to agree. Now that I have put some miles on this setup it has woken up a little. Still much better than the straight pipe but if I could do it again I'd go with the ultra. This is a temp solution, end goal is a 2.5" system DP back when I add the bigger turbo but this will definitely do for now. I did a blast through an underpass at lunch and it sounded great, tight and throaty is a good description.... sounds good on many levels haha

Old 04-03-2017, 11:46 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Finally got a clip, figured id throw it in here although I just posted for someone else in another thread. Apologies for the dual video post

Old 04-03-2017, 11:54 AM
808keith
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That sounds good! second cat and res? gone or still have?

Old 04-03-2017, 11:59 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 808keith
That sounds good! second cat and res? gone or still have?
Milltek catless DP, 2nd cat and res replaced with vibrant 1791 resonator, stock pipes to muffler.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:01 PM
808keith
4th Gear
nice. My scorpion front section to remove 2nd cat and res should be here tomorrow. I also have a catless dp on the way as well. then all i need will be the wagner intercooler than i'm set to get the manic stage 2..

Old 04-03-2017, 12:12 PM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
nice. My scorpion front section to remove 2nd cat and res should be here tomorrow. I also have a catless dp on the way as well. then all i need will be the wagner intercooler than i'm set to get the manic stage 2..
You'll be very happy with stage 2. I have a malfunctioning wastegate which doesn't let me see full boost and I still love it! Map B plenty of fun.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:17 PM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
ya that sounds nice, I cant wait to do mine

Old 04-04-2017, 03:58 AM
potxoli
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, do you have a link as to where to buy the scorpion section you are talking about? Thanks!

Old 04-04-2017, 08:51 AM
808keith
4th Gear
Originally Posted by potxoli
Hi, do you have a link as to where to buy the scorpion section you are talking about? Thanks!
I contacted Martin Lomas at Scorpion Exhaust. Either calling +44 01773 744 123, which is what I did or email him sales@scorpion-exhausts.com and then pay them through PayPal.

When i ordered, it was on back order but they had a batch to be ready in like two weeks or so. It makes it much easier to just buy this piece than to have some one fabricate it. Here in Hawaii, I don't know of any shops that would do this without charging me an arm and a leg.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:57 PM
potxoli
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I contacted Martin Lomas at Scorpion Exhaust. Either calling +44 01773 744 123, which is what I did or email him sales@scorpion-exhausts.com and then pay them through PayPal.

When i ordered, it was on back order but they had a batch to be ready in like two weeks or so. It makes it much easier to just buy this piece than to have some one fabricate it. Here in Hawaii, I don't know of any shops that would do this without charging me an arm and a leg.
Thanks!