R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Snow socks or chains or ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 08:18 PM
pepsiguy78
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow socks or chains or ?

So, we are experiencing a bit of winter in the pacific northwest and I have a question on what others do for traction on the slippery roads? Our MINI is a 2012 Countryman S All4 and does pretty well in the sloppy snow but I have not had it in the icy stuff. I prefer to leave it in the garage and take the old 2002 Bravada. I read that there is no clearance for chains on the front of the MINI, but I wonder why couldn't I put the chains on the rears? I do that with my all wheel drive Bravada and it plows through almost anything. I have researched a little bit regarding the "socks" but have never talked to anyone that has used them.
What do you guys think?

Old 12-15-2016, 10:04 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
get a set of winter tires ... the cheapest winters will outperform the best all-seasons

Old 12-16-2016, 04:13 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by pepsiguy78
So, we are experiencing a bit of winter in the pacific northwest and I have a question on what others do for traction on the slippery roads? Our MINI is a 2012 Countryman S All4 and does pretty well in the sloppy snow but I have not had it in the icy stuff. I prefer to leave it in the garage and take the old 2002 Bravada. I read that there is no clearance for chains on the front of the MINI, but I wonder why couldn't I put the chains on the rears? I do that with my all wheel drive Bravada and it plows through almost anything. I have researched a little bit regarding the "socks" but have never talked to anyone that has used them.
What do you guys think?
It doesn't matter what axle you put them on (though the front wheels would be the ones you put them on as the car is FWD biased), there is not enough clearance on a CM for chains.

I have heard good things from other people using socks, but they have some drawbacks: They aren't meant to be used at speeds >30mph and they shred themselves apart if used on patchy roads or roads that aren't covered in snow.

I have seen low profile chains that will work for cars with low clearance like MINIs/BMWs, though they tend to be pricey ($200-300)

As previously mentioned, the best option is a good set of winter tires. They work best all winter on ice, slush, packed snow, fresh snow and clear roads. When temps start to come up again, switch them back out for your all seasons as winter tires wear faster in warmer weather.

I live the PNW as well and when I had a CM, all season tires and the ALL4 system were enough for all (including ice) but the really deep stuff.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:09 AM
DR61
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are zero-clearance chain traction devices also, such as Thule K-Summit. They attach to a lug bolt head and have no pieces inside the tire. One source:

https://www.amazon.com/Thule-K-Summi...per+countryman

Old 12-21-2016, 06:43 AM
grussell
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I live in Colorado and drive in snow and occasional ice. Get a set of good winter tires. I never see cars with chains here in mountains.