R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 All Countryman's getting new clutch this month...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Mr_Bueno
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All Countryman's getting new clutch this month...

http://blog.caranddriver.com/mini-co...ng-this-month/

The Mini Countryman has developed a bit of a reputation for having a problematic clutch, with prevalent anecdotal reports of early wear, specifically in all-wheel-drive models. While Mini isn’t exactly admitting that there’s anything defective about its first crossover, it has implemented a running change for new production this month. All Countryman models, including the 2013 John Cooper Works Countryman, will be receiving revised programming for the electronic throttle control and a clutch with a different friction surface.

While Mini is not issuing a recall for Countryman vehicles built with the old design, company officials did indicate that owners experiencing clutch problems would be dealt with on an individual basis through their respective dealers. In other words: Complain like hell if your Countryman’s clutch is fried or slipping, you’ll probably get a new one gratis.

Mine was built this month... I wonder if it got the "upgrade"?

Old 11-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too late for me. The way the dealer and mini USA treated me about this issue is enough to get me out.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:03 PM
Sir Stirling
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mojito
Too late for me. The way the dealer and mini USA treated me about this issue is enough to get me out.
This. I learned everything I needed to know when my clutch failed at <12k.
My new car is on order, I'll never purchase another BMW group product, and one other thing...
BUYER BEWARE!

Tad

Old 11-14-2012, 12:08 AM
zedaristo
2nd Gear
From the smelly clutch thread, this was my experience today FYI:

Just came back from my dealer. They refused to do anything with the clutch or ECU because MINI has not put out an official service bulletin or recall. Kinda what I thought was going to happen. But made them note the clutch issue on my account.

I was there getting the Coolant Temp sensor replaced because of the service bulletin

Old 11-14-2012, 01:17 AM
Traprock
2nd Gear
what is the function of the new clutch material? Better grab? better wear? Thermal resistance?

Old 11-14-2012, 04:29 AM
mrluckypa
5th Gear
Everyone,

I would call MINIUSA and ask. What have you got to lose. They just might help you. Basically they have admitted that there was a problem.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:38 AM
lego
2nd Gear
Article saved.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:10 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
See Smelly Clutch thread for more details.

I requested the new clutch upgrade as last means for MINI USA to restore my confidence in their brand. Upgrading the clutch in my Countryman would give me 14 months to experience the "fix" prior to the lease expiring on our vehicle.

MINI USA declined and said to check back with them should my clutch fail (again). While I appreciate that and understand their reluctance to make preemptive repairs (this is not a recall), they must understand the consequences. I am not buying another manual transmission MINI and will probably avoid the brand entirely.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Drnickm53
2nd Gear
Looks like I will be slipping the clutch more then usual within the next 6 months to a year to get me the new version. I have noticed a few times I have tired to accelerate hard and the clutch slipper pretty bad making the car smell. I am glad they noticed a problem with it and are at least getting out a new part.

Those of you who are mad they haven't decided to replace your clutch right now, give it a little bit more time. The parts are brand new, and be consistent with your case to the dealer. If you are a big enough pain in the butt they will replace it just to have you stop calling them or stopping by every day. It has worked for me in the past.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:51 AM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Drnickm53
{snip}
Those of you who are mad they haven't decided to replace your clutch right now, give it a little bit more time. The parts are brand new, and be consistent with your case to the dealer. If you are a big enough pain in the butt they will replace it just to have you stop calling them or stopping by every day. It has worked for me in the past.

Very wise statement.

It's possible MINI will do what BMW did for the 2001 330i. They really mucked up the steering feel on the 01's and there was a change to some steering parts that made it into production(I can't recall which but I think it was the steering rack). BMW upgraded the steering at no charge for clients who complained.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:53 PM
youthanasia
3rd Gear
I was talking with the service manager today, and he did look into the "new" clutch for me, the part numbers are still the old part numbers. So, don't get on the horn too early, otherwise, you might get the older clutch if/when you do get it replaced.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:55 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Hmm, I wonder if enough pople have had to replace the wear parts of the clutch that a class action would be called for in order o et their attention.... hmmmm

Old 11-15-2012, 09:56 AM
ghamma
5th Gear
Originally Posted by youthanasia
I was talking with the service manager today, and he did look into the "new" clutch for me, the part numbers are still the old part numbers. So, don't get on the horn too early, otherwise, you might get the older clutch if/when you do get it replaced.
I have previously complained about the clutch to my dealer when submitting Fenton for service. I referenced the article and asked if there was anything the dealer could do now. The Service Manager has submitted the inquiry through the parts organization and received an initial response: No bulletin yet but they are looking into it. expect it will take "a little bit of time."
...Standing by...

Old 11-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Mr_Bueno
3rd Gear
Has anyone heard when the new clutches started being built in? The article says this month, but it doesn't really say a specific date... It's dated 11/13 so I'm wondering exactly when they started the new clutch install...

According to my MA, mine was built sometime between 11/05 and 11/08. I'm really hoping mine got the "upgrade"

Old 11-15-2012, 01:02 PM
TrueBlueAll4
Neutral
Clutch failed suddenly in our 2011 All4 S Countryman (build date March 2011) on Sept 26th at around 56,000 kilometres (~35,000 miles). The clutch was always a little strange from the day it was new, but there was no warning until it simply stopped working while driving home from Montreal that day. Driving along when engine started revving sporadically when on cruise control, and within minutes my wife had to coast to the side of the road and call BMW Roadside Assistance because it wouldn't move anymore. We were told at first it was a "wear item" but a few days later the dealership contacted us to say it would be fully covered under warranty. A lot better than the $4000 + that we were initially told it would cost us. :-)

I don't know if we got updated clutch parts, but it certainly feels way better than it ever did so after reading this thread I'm hoping maybe we did. It had better last longer than another 56K kilometres.

Mark

Old 11-16-2012, 12:23 PM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TrueBlueAll4
Clutch failed suddenly in our 2011 All4 S Countryman (build date March 2011) on Sept 26th at around 56,000 kilometres (~35,000 miles). The clutch was always a little strange from the day it was new, but there was no warning until it simply stopped working while driving home from Montreal that day. Driving along when engine started revving sporadically when on cruise control, and within minutes my wife had to coast to the side of the road and call BMW Roadside Assistance because it wouldn't move anymore. We were told at first it was a "wear item" but a few days later the dealership contacted us to say it would be fully covered under warranty. A lot better than the $4000 + that we were initially told it would cost us. :-)

I don't know if we got updated clutch parts, but it certainly feels way better than it ever did so after reading this thread I'm hoping maybe we did. It had better last longer than another 56K kilometres.

Mark
Glad they took care of you. If you have a chance, please repost your experience to the Smelly Clutch thread which has a growing collection of such stories.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:06 PM
minmor719
3rd Gear
Grr last night while driving home the clutch began to slip, I had already reported to Mini a smelly clutch. Car is 2011 All4 built jan2011. Ralph Schomp told me it is not a covered warranty item. And if the clutch totally failed the tow was on me? Seriously this car isn't even 2 years old with 40,000 mi. I'm so done with my MINI. This is my 3rd MINI. And the 4th time it's been in for major repairs.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:57 PM
mrluckypa
5th Gear
It's time to contact MINIUSA and register a complaint. This clutch problem has been well documented by not only people in this forum but by the automobile publications as well.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:28 PM
minmor719
3rd Gear
I did call the dealership back and asked for the service manger. Apparently now they are saying they will cover it. But they could not get to me until 12/30/12. So I called Mini of Loveland.

They are the nicest best dealership. not only are they sending a tow truck but they are bringing me a loaner on the truck for me to use and they are coming on Friday morning from 150 miles away!

I would love to sell the car but I am severely upside down in my payment so guess I'm stuck with it for now

Old 11-21-2012, 08:09 PM
52804x4
5th Gear
Loveland does seems to be a decent dealer. Unfortunately I have already seen the service dept way too many times for a 8 month old car!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-23-2012, 10:36 PM
dangermoo
Neutral
I am really glad that you posted this article. I am currently fighting with the dealership since my clutch went out after 20,000 miles. The are insisting that it was "customer error". They also claimed that they have never heard of MINI Countryman clutches going out early. Maybe now that Car and Driver acknowledges the problem, they might have to as well. And if that does not work, I will try the BBB.

After the treatment that I have recieved, as well as the treatment that many of us have recieved, MINI will have to work long and hard to get my respect again.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:56 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dangermoo
I am really glad that you posted this article. I am currently fighting with the dealership since my clutch went out after 20,000 miles. The are insisting that it was "customer error". They also claimed that they have never heard of MINI Countryman clutches going out early. Maybe now that Car and Driver acknowledges the problem, they might have to as well. And if that does not work, I will try the BBB.

After the treatment that I have recieved, as well as the treatment that many of us have recieved, MINI will have to work long and hard to get my respect again.
Sorry to hear about your experience. I am the OP of the "Smelly Clutch" thread and can assure you that you are not alone. Your dealer is misinformed. This is a fairly widespread problem. MINI USA knows of it quite well. Please post your experience to the Smelly Clutch thread so that we can keep an ongoing record of clutch failures.

If your dealer gives you even one more ounce of grief, contact MINI USA directly. They will listen.

Good luck.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:21 AM
Kibby
1st Gear
All manual Countrymen with the old, FAULTY clutch, should be replaced with the new fixed clutch, period. We are pursuing this in every way we can as consumers---be it through social networking, social media, contacting MINI execs and documenting our clutch issues every step of the way. Our dealer not only blamed our faulty clutch on driver error when we first documented it in February 2011 (3 weeks after getting the car), but had the nerve to play the gender card as well. This is a battle we've been fighting for 18 months and we are not going away quietly.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Mr_Bueno
3rd Gear
I just hope my 2013 that is en route as we speak, has the new clutch. The article states that it started this month. I would naturally assume that it coincided with the 2013 build start as well. It states that all the JCW CM's will have the new clutch as well.

Hopefully this will be something that will no longer be a problem for all CM's produced from here on out and will be used in repairing 2011/2012's that are affected by the lousy clutch.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:08 AM
minmor719
3rd Gear
MINI USA tells me that the new clutch is due to customers complaining of the clutch feeling too soft. They also commented to me that there is no defect, simply a change for customer complaint due to feel.

My clutch in on 2011 S ALL-4 was replaced last week and I got the original part, not the new one. My new clutch is no longer covered if it fails again unless a manufacture defect is found with in two years of this install.

Personally I'm done with MINI, this is my 3rd MINI and will be my last.

Quick Reply: R60 All Countryman's getting new clutch this month...