R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 2012 R60 SALL4, a week in

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 07:10 PM
siebharinn
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 R60 SALL4, a week in

Hello, fellow motorists.

A week ago, I got my first Mini. I thought I would give a one week update.

I opted for the automatic. Don't hate. I have driven manual cars my whole life, and I test drove the manual R60, and for some reason, the automatic just seemed to feel better. Between the "fun button", and the electronic/manual transmission, I feel like I get I get the best of both worlds. I live in a fairly urban environment (St. Petersburg, FL, USA) and I spend 90% of my time in stop and go traffic. Automatic just works better.

My daughter and wife, neither of whom really took in an active part in choosing to buy the Mini, can't get enough of it. My wife has already decided that her next car will be a Mini, when her current lease is up.

So, the pros - my Mini has performed brilliantly. It is just a blast to drive. No other way to say it. I'm finding excuses to go run errands. I keep finding little things that make me happy. My 16 year old daughter is amazed at the way it can whip around corners without feeling like it's going to "roll over". Lights in the bottom of the doors. Automatic environment control. Finding new things in Mini Connected. I just keep finding little tidbits that make me smile, like the Force Meter in the Driving Excitement app. Everyone, and I mean *everyone* who has seen my car, has complimented it, me, the company, and been happier with the world in general.

Then, the cons - all little things, and in no way equal to the pros. Manual shifting with the paddles feels weird. Finding things in Mini Connected has taken some work. The rails between the front seats can't fit both an iPhone platform and the sunglasses holder. My wife and daughter keep wanting to drive. Um...not much else.

I still couldn't be happier. I'm waiting for the weather to cool down so I can roll down the windows and use the sun roof. I haven't had the need to transport a bunch of stuff yet, so that hasn't been an issue yet.

I love my Mini. I love the attention that it gets. It's funny that as a tall guy (6'3"), the most common question I get is "Do you fit in it?" I fit with room to spare.

Be Mini!! (Ok, I might have to turn that off pretty soon)

Old 10-19-2012, 04:45 AM
Mini-b10
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats and welcome from Ft Myers!!

Old 10-19-2012, 04:47 AM
dpike
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
nothing wrong with getting an auto trans. i have an auto and i'm really happy with it. i test drove a manual and just didn't like the way the clutch felt. also as a daily driver in traffic, drinking coffee, and other driving distractions the auto would suit my needs better.

glad you're enjoying it, i also love my cm.

welcome to the cult.. err.. club.

by the way, love the pr/lw combo with the stripes it just screams i'm a mini !

Old 10-19-2012, 06:12 AM
CM4SMini
1st Gear
I know the feeling about trying to find errands to run... I can fit the smartphone holder (flat one) and the sunglasses holder on the rail. I put the smartphone holder over the wires and have them run through the other end. The black spacer bars can be moved. Enjoy your mini!

Old 10-19-2012, 06:17 PM
miniMAUL
1st Gear
Congrats and hope to see you motoring around the bay, maybe even at a local Mini event! (From Tampa here)