R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 What Features Do You Dislike Most About Your CM?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 06:34 PM
jurni
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken Gano
The front seat seat belt sensor is much too sensitive. My 20 lb dog or even a loaded brief case cause the seat belly warning to come on
ditto

Old 11-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Hoydi Cheng
1st Gear
The seat belt sensor isn't weight based, its based on conductivity.. Your cell phone could trigger the sensor on, but a 50 lb cardboard box wont. That being said, your dog does conduct and most brief cases have enough metal content to set it off.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Drockfresh
1st Gear
I dislike most the Sat/Radio/NAV display.

They should just let us mirror our iphones w/out jailbreaking.

The satellite radio presets/info display is horrendous.

It should be embarrassing to MINI. They probably sell too many cars to care.

IT's TIME TO FIX THE SAT RADIO INFO DISPLAY!!

Old 12-04-2012, 01:53 AM
R60
1st Gear
Keyless entry system is aggravating (first world problem, I know). The fact that you have to actually PUSH the button and then WAIT for it to activate (slower than a '92 Mercedes, which is like molasses in January). It's faster to use the fob. A terrible system, indeed. I prefer the VW/Audi systems where you simply touch the door handle, which helps when your hands are full.

I can deal with other oddities like the window switch placement, iPod plug access angle, microscopic HVAC switchgear, and road/wind noise, etc.

This car is fun to drive!

Old 12-04-2012, 05:25 PM
bostonterrier
4th Gear
most of these have been stated but i'll throw my hat in the ring...
cup holders - positioning and size - awful (but i knew that going in)
heated seats - no low heat setting...only hot, hottest, and inferno
passenger seat too sensitive- there should be a button to disable
gas economy for the turbo is ugly around town despite gentle acceleration, engine sounds trucky / unrefined at idle, lastly, i really wanted the gps but didn't want to spend $1k for mini connected...there should have been an option like $500 for the integrated gps only.

things i really like - the CM look is so unique and so cool - i still like the look as much now as i did when it first came out, the real leather seats are comfortable on a long ride, visibility is pretty good, ride is spirited and even better in sport mode, xenon lights are awesome.

things i'd like to see- a base 4 cylinder with more horses - why can the 2013 honda civic 4 cyl. output 140 horses and get better gas mileage compared to the mini CM Base?

Old 12-04-2012, 05:59 PM
pman81
1st Gear
For the most part, this car is great. I knew the cupholder situation was less than ideal going into this, and I'm ok with that. I wish the radio controls on the steering wheel were less vague, though. Maybe it's just me, but I find myself having to push it a few extra times because I don't push it exactly to the left/right.

Maybe it's related (i.e., the problem is me), but I have similar trouble opening the hatch from time to time. Sometimes I flip the handle up, and it works just fine. Other times I have to repeat that a few times or just pull out the fob and push the unlock button.

This is nothing that'll prompt me to sell the car, but if they magically fixed themselves overnight, I would be pretty happy…

Old 12-10-2012, 07:07 PM
beauxgoris
4th Gear
I wish I could open the trunk with key fob when my hands were full. Maybe that was a "comfort access" feature I didn't think about at the time. Oh well.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:21 AM
dpike
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
one of the more trivial things that drives me nuts is that the pockets in the door don't have a grippy lined bottom, they're just hard plastic and anything you put in them slides every time you go or stop. i'm grabbing a roll of toolbox liner to cut and put on the bottom, it's a simple fix, but it's irksome that i need to do this.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:21 AM
1bigpea
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dpike
one of the more trivial things that drives me nuts is that the pockets in the door don't have a grippy lined bottom, they're just hard plastic and anything you put in them slides every time you go or stop. i'm grabbing a roll of toolbox liner to cut and put on the bottom, it's a simple fix, but it's irksome that i need to do this.
Oh...that's a good idea, I'll be doing that too.

Another thing I dislike is if I leave the fog lamps on with the headlights and then turn the car off, when I restart it the headlights automatically come back on but not the fogs.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:41 PM
beauxgoris
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SmithWerks

J. Key coding. (Daytime running light off for me/on for my wife.
Does anyone know how to program this? Didn't realize you could do this.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:15 AM
shark715
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
See Personal Profile in the owner's manual. It's on page 26 for model year 2012.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:09 AM
beauxgoris
4th Gear
Originally Posted by shark715
See Personal Profile in the owner's manual. It's on page 26 for model year 2012.
Thank you.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:37 PM
billo.cl
1st Gear
iPod Ludicrous Navigation

The iPod interface is a nightmare

There is no alphabetic index for the lists (Artists, Songs, etc), so you have to scroll the entire thing looking for Zooropa for instance. The list isn't even "circular" (so you can roll back from A to Z on a single click).

And the position in the list is reset (back to the 1st record) each time you go for it (instead of starting where you last leave it)

So many smart engineers at BMW and they put a moron in charge of this design

Shame

-R

Old 12-13-2012, 12:40 AM
Shoe Coupe
4th Gear
Originally Posted by billo.cl

There is no alphabetic index for the lists (Artists, Songs, etc), so you have to scroll the entire thing looking for Zooropa for instance. The list isn't even "circular" (so you can roll back from A to Z on a single click).

And the position in the list is reset (back to the 1st record) each time you go for it (instead of starting where you last leave it)

Shame

-R

oh man i couldnt have said it better myself!!

Old 12-13-2012, 05:13 AM
nd3boy
2nd Gear

Shame

-R
Yet if you have your phone connect via bluetooth, you have that ability to scroll through contacts by letters A-Z, then drill down into a specific letter. Why not do that for the iPod?

Old 12-13-2012, 05:17 AM
kerrys914
3rd Gear

Shame

-R
I agree, it is like these engineers don't drive the cars they design or it is one BIG inside joke....How can we **** off those big gulp, coffee drinking, rock'n roll loving, flag waving americans..

Feel better now.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:47 PM
Coopah73
Neutral
Originally Posted by SCountryMAN
Agree.
Even placing iPad on passenger seat triggers alarm.
Sometimes there is NOTHING in my front passenger seat and it goes off! Had the dealership check it. Of course they could neither re-create it nor find any problems. :/

Old 03-31-2013, 09:25 PM
Donreith
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shame

-R
+1 on this. The iPod out interface under plug-ins is much better though harder to get to and sadly not available with iPhone 5's. The odd thing in there is that the operation of the joystick (turning it left/right) is the opposite of the rest of the menus.

Also, having two different interfaces to do a similar function, one under plug-ins and the other, horrible one under external devices is weird.

My additions to this thread:

1) Car needs an always-visible and more-prominent clock! I miss the analog clock in the center console of my Infiniti.

2) The "menu" button above and to the right of the joystick seem to just go to a random place in the UI. It never goes to the menu I'm interested in...

3) what's with the storage "compartment" below the toggles? It's not deep enough to securely hold anything.

4) Wish there was an option to ditch the CD player. Haven't used one in a car for 10 years.

Several likes:

I think I'm alone in liking the hand brake. Adds to the cockpit feel!

As the lone driver, the lack of power seats is not missed at all. I always hated paying for a feature that was rarely used.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:07 AM
goofballtech
2nd Gear
Personally i would prefer the Reverse gear be "under" first gear. I don't quite have the feel for the reverse location yet so it's natural. I have to really pay attention and think about it still. I accidentally put it in third a few times on purchase day trying to make sure i didn't hit R .

I just like on some sports cars where you push down on the shifter to find reverse and there is no chance of passing first and going into reverse on accident

Old 04-02-2013, 11:13 AM
shark715
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by R60
Keyless entry system is aggravating (first world problem, I know). The fact that you have to actually PUSH the button and then WAIT for it to activate (slower than a '92 Mercedes, which is like molasses in January). It's faster to use the fob. A terrible system, indeed. I prefer the VW/Audi systems where you simply touch the door handle, which helps when your hands are full.

I can deal with other oddities like the window switch placement, iPod plug access angle, microscopic HVAC switchgear, and road/wind noise, etc.

This car is fun to drive!
Good point regarding the keyless entry. And BMW knows how to do it correctly. On our x5 all you need to do is touch any of the four door handles, And you don't need to wait. However, it is nice to be able to open the tailgate without fumbling for the keyfob. But the ultimate is what the Ford escape has… Where you just stick your foot under the car and the power tailgate opens.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:26 PM
Shoe Coupe
4th Gear
Why couldnt they put a high mounted light in the trunk, somewhere up near the roof? My 18 yr old jeep has this.

If you open the trunk at night and it's loaded with stuff. Good luck seeing anything.

Stupid oversight of a design

Second, the stupid wiper stalk. You push it up to turn it on, no matter how many times you push it down to turn it off, it just stays intermittent.

Garbage garbage garbage!!!! :grr

Old 09-05-2013, 09:15 AM
dpd2012
1st Gear
That I can't put the windows up after I opened the door. Don't know how many times I have forgotten to put the back window up and have to get back in and close the door to put them up. I use the Comfort Access so maybe if I dug the key out maybe I wouldn't have to shut the door.
I wish I could put them up by holding the lock button similar to the way holding unlock can put them down. This is a recode I would be interested in having done.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:09 PM
UnminiSCAll4
1st Gear
Coming from a Honda s2000, I love everything about this car! The cup holders are not big but it is miles ahead of the ONE I have in my S2K that fits nothing but a styrofoam cup. Love the navigation on my CM and all the one touch windows. Could use a better handbrake though, anyone know if you can swap it out for a regular aftermarket one?

Old 09-05-2013, 04:36 PM
billo.cl
1st Gear
S

Last edited by billo.cl; 09-05-2013 at 04:37 PM. Reason: delete
Old 09-05-2013, 04:38 PM
billo.cl
1st Gear
S

Last edited by billo.cl; 09-05-2013 at 04:39 PM. Reason: delete

Quick Reply: R60 What Features Do You Dislike Most About Your CM?